Preinstall partition questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Preinstall partition questions Reply with quote

Hey
ive decided to take the plunge and install gentoo onto my shuttle box. ive already searched the forums and i know the box will work *its a Shuttle XPC SB51G* but i will be dual booting the thing with winxp as i still like to play games and also if im in a lazy mood. But anyway my question is the partition setup, would the following partition setup work on my 120gb hdd?

2.5gb ntfs winxp *yes my xp install fills that:(*
*extended dos* 1.5gb ntfs winxp swap *xp complains if its any smaller*
*extended dos* 105gb ntfs for games/apps/music/films etc
*extended dos* 10gb fat32 shared with gentoo for downloads and stuff
100mb ext3 boot
512mb linux swap
9odd gb raiserFS gentoo

ive got gentoo on my laptop 14gb*takes up the whole drive* and ive got tonnes of docs and music and ive still got 4gb free so would that partition table be ok or would the boot partition have to be before the winxp partition? ill be using grub *not using onboard gfx so should be ok* i wont be installing gentoo right away i just want to get the parition table setup first.
thanks for any replies
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the partition is a primary partition, you'd be on the safe side.

My boot is /dev/hdc2 I think, and it Just Works.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime_Fan wrote:
As long as the partition is a primary partition, you'd be on the safe side.

My boot is /dev/hdc2 I think, and it Just Works.

great, i thought it would be i just wanted to be sure :)
Schwin97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about this but wouldn't it be better to stay away from NTFS, especially for the games/films/music partition? I say this only so that you can rip the music/film while in either linux or windows.

Also, I would split up my linux partition so that the home directories are removed from root. After having to reinstall linux I have been extremely happy to always have my home directory and all its settings waiting for me.

Yes... No?
Schwin97
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwin97 wrote:
Not too sure about this but wouldn't it be better to stay away from NTFS, especially for the games/films/music partition? I say this only so that you can rip the music/film while in either linux or windows.

Also, I would split up my linux partition so that the home directories are removed from root. After having to reinstall linux I have been extremely happy to always have my home directory and all its settings waiting for me.

Yes... No?
Schwin97

i never actually thought of that actually *seperate home dir* im the only 1 going to be using it so how big you think i should make it?
as for the games etc this is why i created an extra 10gb partition to share, because linux can read ntfs read only so ill still be able to read from the partition and if i rip anything or do any dvd ripping ill do it on the 10gb. prolly the long way round but unfortnatally xp will most likly be used more than gentoo so i can use the tvout properly without to much hassle *the box is basically a multimedia rig for films and music etc*
Schwin97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for an interesting multimedia rig you may want to look into mythtv (www.mythtv.org). I have used it in the past (working to get it setup again) and it is an impressive application. I have not gotten tvout working yet (haven't tried), but many people are using this for all their multimedia needs (music, movies, tv, etc.). Mythtv will allow you to watch television, record television (similar to tivo), watch movies, play games (mame and some others), check the weather, browse the web...

As for the size of the home partition it all depends on what you normally store in your home dir. I use it to store my multimedia files (music, film, pictures) as well as my home directories so it is pretty big at 20Gb. If you only use it for configuration files then it can probably stay pretty small. You may (and I do not know about this at all) be able to use the 10Gb partition for your home directory. Somebody else may need to verify that though...

Hope this helps
Schwin97
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Schwin97"]If you are looking for an interesting multimedia rig you may want to look into mythtv (www.mythtv.org). I have used it in the past (working to get it setup again) and it is an impressive application. I have not gotten tvout working yet (haven't tried), but many people are using this for all their multimedia needs (music, movies, tv, etc.). Mythtv will allow you to watch television, record television (similar to tivo), watch movies, play games (mame and some others), check the weather, browse the web...

As for the size of the home partition it all depends on what you normally store in your home dir. I use it to store my multimedia files (music, film, pictures) as well as my home directories so it is pretty big at 20Gb. If you only use it for configuration files then iNT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans- (and I do not know about this at all) be able to use the 10Gb partition for your home directory. Somebody else may need to verify that though...

Hope this helps
Schwin97[/quote
i never thought of mythtv actually. i could actually do that use the 10gb partition, im doing the install tomorrow, wish me luck heh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: