Differences between different logger daemons
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faets
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Differences between different logger daemons Reply with quote

I was killing time while waiting for "emerge system" to finish on my iBook and decided to find out exactly what is the difference between the various system log daemons listed in the 1.2 install instructions.

I couldn't find any discussion in the forums, and I couldn't find any specific discussions using google. So I ended up just checking out the blurbs as posted by the various maintainers on Freshmeat.net. For future reference I'll post a quick rundown here...

sysklogd:
This is the stock standard logger daemon supplied with the majority of linux distributions. It does all the things you'd expect of a logger daemon. I'm sure it set the de facto standard and it just looks like it doesn't offer anything special.

syslog-ng:
Syslogd replacement for the "new generation". Among what seems to be its funkier features are regular expression based filtering and the ability to forward logs, over TCP connections, to a remote host.

metalog:
The install instructions mentions metalog is popular with "power users". Its features, like syslog-ng, included log forwarding and filtering but it claims it is easier to configure and is aimed at improving upon syskloogds performance.

The only logger I have had any experience with is sysklogd but based on the blurbs I went with metalog. I'd be interested in what others have to say about the pros/cons of the various loggers.
SubZero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading your post to decide with one is best.

I'm seeing that the logs generated by metalog has a strange value for the timestamp, so I can't run it with qmailanalog.

I will try syslog-ng and see if it is compatible with others log analyzers.
legoleg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a decent description of each in the Security Guide. Go here to see it. It starts right after code listing 6.... hope this helps.

Oleg
Wilhelm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stepped over from metalog to sysklogd because metalog doesn't do syslog remote logging.

I believe sysklogd to be the only one but when metalog adds remote logging i'm back :)
strolls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
I stepped over from metalog to sysklogd because metalog doesn't do syslog remote logging... I believe sysklogd to be the only one...

syslog-ng also does remote logging. I want to use it because I believe it will allow me to filter network log information from my router & printer better.

The /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf installed by Gentoo by default seems pretty basic, however. There appears to be a better one given in this forum posting.
Wilhelm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strolls wrote:
Wilhelm wrote:
I stepped over from metalog to sysklogd because metalog doesn't do syslog remote logging... I believe sysklogd to be the only one...

syslog-ng also does remote logging. I want to use it because I believe it will allow me to filter network log information from my router & printer better.

The /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf installed by Gentoo by default seems pretty basic, however. There appears to be a better one given in this forum posting.

I stepped over to syslog-ng too. It wasn't easy seting up but now i have a logging server which logs everything.
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a good site with some documentation or tutorials on how the filtering works in syslog-ng?
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many. A little googling will turn up more than you could ever read. You might want to start with this one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: