Whither XMMS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbo5112
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Whither XMMS? Reply with quote

I still miss xmms enough to resurrect the last thread, but it got locked. I want an audio player that supports dynamic range compression (makes the quiet parts louder) for listening to people speaking. This is not the same as replay gain, as it will be changing the volume dynamically within the track. XMMS worked perfectly for this, and was rather lightweight. Audacious is STILL a little buggy for me, but right now, it beats manually building all the different plugins for XMMS. I'm open to suggestions on a replacement media player, provided they work well, are legible and provide a function/plugin to dynamically raise the volume when a speaker gets quiet. I'm also voting that in honor of the November 16, 2007 release of XMMS (1.2.11) gets put back into portage. *immaturely thumbs nose at all the people who said it didn't have any upstream development* :roll:

Seeing as I already have gtk+-1.2 installed, other programs are still using it too (via imlib-1), so that's not a valid argument for not supporting XMMS either. I'd write the ebuild myself if I knew how (and I'm too busy right now for learning to be an option). Maybe somebody will chip in the effort to put an unmaintained overlay on layman, or some I'll find the time to dig up the old XMMS ebuilds and fix one for 1.2.11.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbo5112 wrote:
I'm open to suggestions on a replacement media player, provided they work well, are legible and provide a function/plugin to dynamically raise the volume when a speaker gets quiet.
Which is the only reason that this topic has yet to be moved to Unsupported Software, if this topic tends more towards discussion of XMMS than alternatives to it it will be moved there.
jbo5112 wrote:
I'm also voting that in honor of the November 16, 2007 release of XMMS (1.2.11) gets put back into portage. *immaturely thumbs nose at all the people who said it didn't have any upstream development* :roll:
Already asked and answered.
jbo5112 wrote:
Seeing as I already have gtk+-1.2 installed, other programs are still using it too (via imlib-1), so that's not a valid argument for not supporting XMMS either.
Regardless of opinions on that point, the other associated bugs and lack of developer interest are valid arguments.
jbo5112 wrote:
I'd write the ebuild myself if I knew how (and I'm too busy right now for learning to be an option). Maybe somebody will chip in the effort to put an unmaintained overlay on layman, or some I'll find the time to dig up the old XMMS ebuilds and fix one for 1.2.11.
There is no need to write new ebuilds considering that the old ebuilds are still available.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remind all of you that in my web site there's a lot of xmms related stuff. I host it because it is really hard to get some packages nowadays since they are no longer in what once was their own repositories. Link in my signature, and in my profile I think. So, if you get the ebuilds and they can't download anything, pick it from my web and put it into distfiles.
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if someone is looking for xmms-1.2.11-ebuilds:

http://dside.dyndns.org/darklin/portage/
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Whither XMMS? Reply with quote

jbo5112 wrote:
I still miss xmms enough to resurrect the last thread, but it got locked. I want an audio player that supports dynamic range compression (makes the quiet parts louder) for listening to people speaking. This is not the same as replay gain, as it will be changing the volume dynamically within the track. XMMS worked perfectly for this, and was rather lightweight. Audacious is STILL a little buggy for me, but right now, it beats manually building all the different plugins for XMMS. I'm open to suggestions on a replacement media player, provided they work well, are legible and provide a function/plugin to dynamically raise the volume when a speaker gets quiet. I'm also voting that in honor of the November 16, 2007 release of XMMS (1.2.11) gets put back into portage. *immaturely thumbs nose at all the people who said it didn't have any upstream development* :roll:

Out of curiosity, I checked today to see what the changes are. Next time, check yourself before claiming things like this:

Quote:

*immaturely thumbs nose at all the people who said it didn't have any upstream development*

Check the changelog yourself:

xmms changelog wrote:

Fri Nov 16 23:52:19 CET 2007 Thomas Nilsson <thomas@xmms.org>

* xmms/about.c: Add Heikki and Matti

Fri Nov 16 22:52:40 CET 2007 H�vard Kv�len <havardk@xmms.org>

* configure.in: Update version to 1.2.11. This is the 10 years
anniversary release of xmms, and also 1211 days since 1.2.10.

So, it is just a version bump. No code was changed. That is not what I call "active development". The bugs are still there. This version was releases as 1.2.11 just because someone thought that it would be funny to release that version number 1211 days after the last release. A bad joke :P
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check the changelog yourself:

xmms changelog hat Folgendes geschrieben:

Fri Nov 16 23:52:19 CET 2007 Thomas Nilsson <thomas@xmms.org>

* xmms/about.c: Add Heikki and Matti

Fri Nov 16 22:52:40 CET 2007 H�vard Kv�len <havardk@xmms.org>

* configure.in: Update version to 1.2.11. This is the 10 years
anniversary release of xmms, and also 1211 days since 1.2.10.

These are only the changes between xmms-1.2.10-20070711cvs and xmms-1.2.11-20071117cvs=1.2.11
You have to read all the changes from xmms-1.2.10-20040224cvs on.
This is a short summary

http://www.xmms.org/next_version.php

You will also see that

http://dside.dyndns.org/files/rusxmms/xmms-1.2.10-gentoo-patches-2.3.1.tar.bz2

is 564KB while this is 16KB:

http://dside.dyndns.org/files/rusxmms/xmms-1.2.11-gentoo-patches-2.3.0.tar.bz2

So most of the patches are included in 1.2.11.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Unsupported Software.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psycho Dad wrote:

You will also see that

http://dside.dyndns.org/files/rusxmms/xmms-1.2.10-gentoo-patches-2.3.1.tar.bz2

is 564KB while this is 16KB:

http://dside.dyndns.org/files/rusxmms/xmms-1.2.11-gentoo-patches-2.3.0.tar.bz2

So most of the patches are included in 1.2.11.

I am using your ebuild for .11, but it fails while patching. There are some rejects. I am not fixing this though it must be trivial.

Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 6) media-sound/xmms-1.2.11 to /
 * xmms-1.2.11.tar.bz2 MD5 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                    [ ok ]
 * gentoo_ice-xmms-0.2.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                [ ok ]
 * gnomexmms.xpm RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                              [ ok ]
 * xmms-1.2.10-gentoo-m4-1.1.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                          [ ok ]
 * RusXMMS2-csa41.tar.bz2 MD5 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                 [ ok ]
 * xmms-1.2.11-gentoo-patches-2.3.0.tar.bz2 MD5 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...               [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                         [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                        [ ok ]
 * checking xmms-1.2.11.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                       [ ok ]
 * checking gentoo_ice-xmms-0.2.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                               [ ok ]
 * checking xmms-1.2.10-gentoo-m4-1.1.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                         [ ok ]
 * checking xmms-1.2.11-gentoo-patches-2.3.0.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                  [ ok ]
 * checking gnomexmms.xpm ;-) ...                                                             [ ok ]
 * checking RusXMMS2-csa41.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                    [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking xmms-1.2.11.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work
>>> Unpacking gentoo_ice-xmms-0.2.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work
>>> Unpacking xmms-1.2.10-gentoo-m4-1.1.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work
>>> Unpacking xmms-1.2.11-gentoo-patches-2.3.0.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work
>>> Unpacking gnomexmms.xpm to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work
unpack gnomexmms.xpm: file format not recognized. Ignoring.
>>> Unpacking RusXMMS2-csa41.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work
 * Applying various patches (bugfixes/updates) ...
 *   0010_all_skin-dir-browser.patch ...

* Failed Patch: 0010_all_skin-dir-browser.patch !
 *  ( /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.11/work/patches/0010_all_skin-dir-browser.patch )

Code:

PATCH COMMAND:   patch -p1 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/xmms-1.2.1$

===========================================
patching file xmms/main.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 385 (offset -3 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 482.
Hunk #3 succeeded at 701 with fuzz 1 (offset -12 lines).
1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file xmms/main.c.rej
patching file xmms/main.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 61.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file xmms/main.h.rej
patching file xmms/playlist.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 577 (offset -13 lines).
patching file xmms/skinwin.c
patching file xmms/skinwin.h

Also, those gentoo patches are patches made by xmms devs or are gentoo specific? Because if that is gentoo specific stuff made by a gentoo user, they can't be xmms development since they are not part of the upstream stuff. I am asking, I don't know.
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am using your ebuild for .11, but it fails while patching

This are not my ebuilds, I found them with Google.

I had to emerge with the useflag "rcc" enabled, otherwise the 0010_all_skin-dir-browser.patch - error appeared for me too.

This Darklin seems to be very bustling

http://dside.dyndns.org/projects/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: