Running e2fsck
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Running e2fsck Reply with quote

Having some trouble figuring out how to run e2fsck on my Gentoo installation. With any other linux distro I've used, you go into single user mode, umount the partition on which you want to run the check and run it. A couple of days ago, from a root prompt, I entered

telinit 1

expecting to be told that no more processes were running and to enter the root password. Nothing happened, the root prompt was again shown, no password request. I went ahead

umount /dev/sdc5

which happens to be the root partition. I was told that /dev/sdc5 was not mounted. I moved on to

e2fsck /dev/sdc5

and got back the output that I was attempting to run the check on a mounted file system and asking if I wanted to proceed. Naturally I said no. What gives here. Is there something unique about how to run e2fsxk in Gentoo?

jlowell
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run it off the gentoo boot cd ?
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi El Presidente,

I'm certain that you can, in fact, run e2fsck from the install CD. But to have to?

There is some reason that I'm not getting into single user mode properly with Gentoo, something arcane, no doubt. To be both mounted and unmounted at the same time is nonsense and there's clearly something I'm missing here.

Thanks for the reply; good to hear from you!

jlowell
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: