View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: 2 quick KDE-related issues Reply with quote

1. Whenever I try to open a link to a webpage in something besides konqueror (like the scrolling rdf reader on my panel, or a link in kmail, or a link in kopete, etc.), whatever the program was in which I clicked the link, crashes. I can then kill -9 it, then restart it, but it never opens the page. This get really annoying, for example, if I see an article I want to see in the rdf reader, then I can't read it without going all the way through the page where it originated.

2. In amarok (I know, wrong forum - but help me out anyway :D ), it totally works, I can play all my music or whatever, but I can't see the names of anything in the playlist window. It seems that all the headers shifted over too far left, because occasionally I can add enough headers to the point where I see the tail end of the last one. As root (or another user), this doesn't happen, only as my actually user.

How can I fix these issues?

tia,
poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Do you have any program currently set for KDE to automatically use as a browser? (Check KControl)

2) Could you provide a screenshot, I think I know what you are talking about, but I think seeing it would help clarify it for me.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the html type is set for konqueror as top, khtml for embedding first of all. In component chooser, it's set for "in an application based on the contents of the URL", and if set for "in the following browser" (then konqueror, which displays as "kfmclient"), opening a link gives my very twitchy (totally not normal) feedback (the bouncy thing), and it only opens up after I set it back to "in an application..." and hit apply (weird... 8O )

As for amarok, here's a quick screenie: http://omploader.org/vYmxo
Basically, I just want to completely reset the config for that - I tried clearing out everything under amarok in .kde, to no avail (had to reset most of the other stuff, tho.)

Any ideas?

poly-p man

alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I'm sorry, I meant component chooser, sorry for being a little ambiguous there. It sounds like kfmclient isn't loading anything, though. I'm not in front of a linux computer right now so I can't check, but can you type-in the name of a program (like, can you type in 'konqueror' or is it a drop down menu) Either way, try typing 'kfmclient' in a console and let me know if it gives any output.

2) Wow. I have to say I'm impressed. I'm sure not unfixable, though. Do you have ANY idea what you were doing prior to this happening or has it always been? I'm afraid the only 2 things I can think of right now would be to a) Try turning off ALL of the columns and then turning them on one at a time and seeing if you can resize them that way and/or b) e-mailing the amarok guys. :-/
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try moving .kde elsewhere and start kde again.
looks like stuck in some crash of konqueror
revdep-rebuild is also helpful
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
1) I'm sorry, I meant component chooser, sorry for being a little ambiguous there. It sounds like kfmclient isn't loading anything, though. I'm not in front of a linux computer right now so I can't check, but can you type-in the name of a program (like, can you type in 'konqueror' or is it a drop down menu) Either way, try typing 'kfmclient' in a console and let me know if it gives any output.

hehe... I'm dumb....

kfmclient will always crash for some reason. Just replaced that with konqueror, and I'm just fine.

As for amarok, there's no way to get rid of some of the columns - they're too far to the left to right click and say "hide". As I said, I already tried removing all the amarok junk from .kde, but I might as well try renaming it...

wonder what the issue is...

When I'm less lazy, I'll run it by the amarok guys, maybe they'll have something.

poly-p man

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: