Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
When logging into kde after starting gnome/ kde crashes....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icethepenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: When logging into kde after starting gnome/ kde crashes.... Reply with quote

I've been in KDE and I decided to go over to GNOME and look around. Well now I can't get back into KDE. It keeps crashing on "Loading Desktop".

What the hell is going on with KDE? This same things happened one time when I was in GNOME and went into KDE and then back to GNOME and GNOME wouldn't load.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Dachnaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check the log files of KDE, and post the contents here so the community can get more details on the problem. Check /var/log/kdm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log ... That's usually where the right information will be. As far as crashing on the Loading Desktop phase, sounds like a possible Qt problem. The logs will reveal more.

(I hate to tell people to check and post logs, because it's annoyingly not a solution. But it's the path to one!)
Icethepenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your replys.

This has been resolved.

I first:

Code:
emerge -C kde

then:

Code:
emerge kde

Didn't work:

So I quit and went on to GNOME and started messing around. Well, during my play I turned off arts or reset it some how, but not knowing this would change anything, I went back later on in the night to start messing with KDE again.

FINALY IT STARTED UP, YAY!

and when it started it told me that it was receiving errors from arts "something" and that was crashing it. I had also updated Xorg-x11, and some other things in world, but didn't update all of world. So it was arts that was crashing KDE but now its working just fine so I guess during my updates something needed to update arts and fixed the crashing. I think, GNOME uses something different that conflicted with arts somehow and sent KDE arts into a crash problem.

I hope this helps others and also give someone else ideas about how to fix this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: