another dual boot question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wristdirectblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: another dual boot question Reply with quote

how do i get all of the primary drives for linux and winXP? XP wants to have 2 primary partitions. One for booting, and one for storing my junk. Since I can only have 4 primary partitions, how do i create the three linux primary partitions when i already have 2? (creating 5 >.<)

Help plz
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: another dual boot question Reply with quote

wristdirectblue wrote:
how do i get all of the primary drives for linux and winXP? XP wants to have 2 primary partitions. One for booting, and one for storing my junk. Since I can only have 4 primary partitions, how do i create the three linux primary partitions when i already have 2? (creating 5 >.<)

Help plz

Check this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=65207

You can have no partition for boot...

About Windows XP, why do you say it needs 2 primary partitions? I does need only ONE.
wristdirectblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: about the whole 2 partition Reply with quote

aparently, the gay people at dell decided to shove they're own little partition in there. My partitions currently are as follows:

DELLUTILITY FAT 47.0(mb) 6.7 of which is being used
Local Disk (C:/) NTFS 49,999(mb) and im usin a bunch of that

whats up with the Dell Utility partition? Do i need it? and whats it there for? Because if i can avoid having to do other stuff by just getting rid of a pointless partition, that would be great.

Ty
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: about the whole 2 partition Reply with quote

wristdirectblue wrote:
aparently, the gay people at dell decided to shove they're own little partition in there. My partitions currently are as follows:

whats up with the Dell Utility partition? Do i need it? and whats it there for? Because if i can avoid having to do other stuff by just getting rid of a pointless partition, that would be great.

Ty

That partitions seems just that, an utility partition. I'm not sure if you should get rid of it... perhaps you could do a search in the web to check what's going on with that partition...
Malice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: about the whole 2 partition Reply with quote

wristdirectblue wrote:

Ty

At a guess, that hidden partition is probably your window media, and some recovery stuff. Did they give you any Windows CDs? If not, then there is usually a util floating around somewhere on the original install that allows you to burn the contents of the hidden partition onto CDs.

Cheers.

M
wristdirectblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: just in case Reply with quote

ok, now before i finalize it and to the no turning back stage (though there still would be), is this setup ok?:

47M for DELLUTILITY Primary
41 gig for WinXP and stuff thats on my comp Primary
1024M for Linux Swap Primary
15 gig Extended Primary
64M Linux Boot Logical
the rest of 15 gig Gentoo and stuff for gentoo Logical

will this work? i just want to make sure. and if not, what should i change?
MJN222
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That setup should work.

I like to have my boot partition as a primary partition (just the way I've always done it, don't think it matters), so I would switch the boot and swap partitions (and adjust the size of the extended partition accordingly). However, that's just me and you should be fine. Of course if you do finalize those changes and they muck up your box, don't blame me :wink:
Sephiroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: about the whole 2 partition Reply with quote

wristdirectblue wrote:

whats up with the Dell Utility partition? Do i need it? and whats it there for?

Most pre-packaged computers are using recovery partitions rather than CD's. During your boot, you press a certain key (like F12) to boot to your recovery partition and put your computer back the way it shipped.

As far as if you need it, depends on whether you want to restore your system or not. If you delete that partition and later on decide that you want to restore it back to the way it shipped, then you'll be SOL.

Somtimes the manufactor (Dell) will allow you to order recovery CD's.

You might want to persue some of these options if you want to do a complete restore.
jeffrice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wiped the Dell Utility partition off my machine. I haven't noticed any problems as a result. I have a Dell Recovery CD that shipped with my machine and of course my original XP CD. That has been all I needed to reinstall things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: