View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Install gentoo 1.4_rc4 failed compile; make: {vmlinux}error1 Reply with quote

Pleased to have LiveCD boot :) H ave Athlon cpu 1600mhz Asus a7v333 mobo..run Debian 2.4.20 on Hda. Attempts to install Gentoo 1.4_rc4 with Live CD per compile instructions 15.4results in repeated error message..make xxx {vmlinux}error 1 when reinstall attempts are made :oops: The following step.. cp /usr/src/linux arch etc......results in no such file or directory. :oops:
I assume that I have missed a required prior setup, perhaps at code listing 15.1 or 15.2
regarding symlink....I am confused by the statements in step 15 thru step 15.2.
I have tried gentoo-sources 4 times receiving oregon state.edu downloads of 2.4.20-r5, and have tried ac-sources from oregon state.edu download of 2.4.21-r4. All attempts result in the same error 1 :cry:
Am loading this gentoo program in hdc, 80gb hdd and use mobo bios boot control. Plan to use lilo but haven't reached that step :!:
I will be pleased :D if I could receive an "echo" reply whether it solves the dilemma or gets me further into cyberphobia :!:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there is an error compiling your kernel, right?

if u never did this before u will have to do some reading:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/pdf/Kernel-HOWTO.pdf
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=40

if u did this before and it just doesnt work now, double check your .config and if it still doesnt work try to switch kernel sources or post the error...
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) Pleased to receive such a good reply. Did much reading but have not been able to decipher the instructions in section 15 of gentoo linux 1.4_rc4 which I must follow.
:? Therein it states that portage (step 9) sets the symlink automatically. But if you have multiple kernel source packages :?: (gentoo-sources :?: ) it is necessary to set the symlink to the correct one before proceeding(No detail as to how this is done :?
Further complicating the picture, a Note: if you want to use the same .....etc :? , so I as the installer am :?
I retried to install gentoo and looked at /usr/src/linux with...nano -w /usr/src/linux and found nothing in it at step 15. Portage was supposed to enter a symlink there in step 9.
If I can establish the symlink as required, what procedure can be employed at this step to enter a symlink to the kernel 2.4.20-r5, which downloaded from oregon state.edu at step 15.1(emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources). :?: How can portage setup a symlink to the downloaded oregon state.edu kernel before the kernel is obtained :?: :? :cry:
The fourth of July produced many sparkling displays...my gentoo did not sparkle yet :!:
Is there another set of instructions available for gentoo install :?: Are each of the gentoo kernels installed with a different set :?:
I am :?
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to see where the symlink points to, do

Code:

cd /usr/src
ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 Jan 28 09:30 linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1/

which means that 'linux' points to linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1

to make a new symlink, delete the old one and do:

Code:
ln -s /usr/src/your-sources linux

Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Pleased to receive pertinent data re- symlink...It is strange that such reference is not included with the instructions which has many instances of good supporting examples. :roll:
The next trial will include the coding you describe in order that I can be confident that the right kernel is linked.
I am impressed 8) that I can run through such a protracted series of steps and always get the same defect!!!!! Windows almost never gives the same answer!!!!!!
I hope to be up and running by my 78th b'day next month.....
And the beat goes on........ :wink:
Have a good day and thanks for the pertinent response!
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Clancy wrote:
:D Pleased to receive pertinent data re- symlink...It is strange that such reference is not included with the instructions which has many instances of good supporting examples. :roll:

thats why the forums are here ;)
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Appreciate the shoulders to lean on.
Looked at the symlink..it seemed right(correct) per the listing given after emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, which was 2.4.20-r5.
Your reference info suggests that the above might not be correct since your listing shows -2.4.20-gentoo-r1/
The identification appearing later in the procedure at compilation was indicated as...............-2.4.20-gentoo-r5.....
I assume that my error in understanding is that I understood at the wrong time!!!! :lol:
I am not sure whether I need the backslash indicated on your listing of the symlink.............-2.4.20-gentoo-r1/ :?:
Realizing full well if the ID is wrong the compile will surely get nowhere, I ask for a comment 8)
I haven't given up but surely have a 8O attitude!
Additionally, a second listing appeared in /usr/src but did not have the linux symlink pointed to it so I feel I can ignore it. 8)
At this time, I think it is probable that I need the -gentoo- I.D. in the symlink :!: :?: :idea: :roll: :o :lol: :P :wink: :!:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the r1 and so on numbers just show the version of the ebuild that was used to emerge something - it has nothing to do with the version of the sources themselfes - so for our purposes u can ignore this.

also it is not important if there is a trailin '/' for a directory if it is a directory, your shell will know - i just add them usually because there is less misunderstanding when just reading the code. it could be a file if the slash wasnt there...
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Glad to hear that the little boogers aren't important this time...
:oops:I am sorry to say that the attempt just completed gave the same result as many attempts before :cry:
The symlink pointed to /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 this time. There was another linux listing but not in the symlink.
It seems I must look elsew
here for the cause of my problem. Perhaps my Athlon cpu is not properly selected. I built this comp with Asus and a 1600mhz cpu using 462 socket but have no idea what selection
is right. The i586 was e ntered by default so I used that. :?
I appreciate your input...I have watched portage go whizzing and the gentoo-sources flying by, and finally the kernel dragging into view many, many times :roll: :cry:
I am reminded that the first rule of thumb in the cyberworld is:
Smash forehead on keyboard to continue........
My forehead has the characters implanted in reverse order :!:
What next :?:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can u please post the actual error u get - without it, its kind of hard to tell whats wrong...
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the echo reply.
I haven't a clue as to how to get the error info....Please advise :oops:
I have no shutdown control and cannot reboot so I lose all each time I change to windows to enter this forum.. :oops:
Cyberpanic!!!
:!:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at which step in the install documents are u?

did u already compile the kernel, or not?

if u did - can u boot? if yes what is the error, if no, at which point does it stop?

if u didnt - what is the error when u try to compile?
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Good day to you...
The reference given for this post is the actual error statement at the end of the compile sequence.
Trying to continue with the next statement cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot...etc gives an error message...no such file or directory....(no compile-nofile).. :!:
At this point, cannot reboot nor use shutdown command(s) so have to force shutdown thus losing the install.
Repeated the install procedure in its entirety at least 20 times and receive the same consistent result.
I have one reservation which may solve the problem...I was unable to interpret the entry for local time symlink because it had no specifics for obtaining the zone info and/or the directory required to enter the symlink. I assumed( :roll:) it was not an imperative that I have correct local time...if such is mandatory, it would seem to me the instructions would be most imperative and specific.
I have no further observations .
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...u did:

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make clean
make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make clean

and get an error somewhere during this procedure. this is the reason why there is no bzImage.

if u tried so often, your sources may be fucked up - try to do 'make mrproper' and repeat the steps (u can leave out the first 'make clean')

i never tried this, but perhaps genkernel can help u if the procedure above doesnt work ---> 'emerge genkernel'
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the reply.
The procedure you outlined is very close to that used here..the last make clean is not referenced in the instructions.. they read:
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
One time, after reading background info, I tried;
make clean && make mrproper
..received error message stating .. mrproper no such command... It's possible I didn't type it correctly :(
Any comment on the time zone question? :?:
If I don't do something to change things..no change is expected :!:
In research of the instructions, I note that tarball stage 3 consists of ;
partition/filesystem setup
emerge sync
final configuration
:roll:The steps in tarball 2 follow;
partition/filesystem setup
emerge sync
emerge system
emerge kernel sources
final configuration
8) In performing the install I utilized stage 3 but after reviewing the outline I find that I performed emerge system which is not listed for stage 3!!! Furthermore, my installation instructions list ... 13. Starting from stage 3... but the next section is 15.! Where is section 14.?
It seems I have to get a new set of instructions from gentoo :!: :!: :!: :oops: :lol:
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: I made booboo! Section 14 is the time zone section! :oops:
In following the instructions I ran the emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources which is not referenced in stage 3 outline......Am I wrong :?: :roll:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u have to do the kernel step (15 i think) in any case - it is the very base of your system - no kernel no linux...

try the 'make mrproper' alone on a single line. this step will delete your old configuration of the kernel, u will start the kernel configuration from scratch thereafter.

the kernel compiling step can be very difficult for someone who didnt do this before - perhaps u are able to contact a local LUG (Linux User Group) - usually these folks are more than happy to help with something like this...
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the suggestion. I assumed :oops: that I had to do 15 regardless because it has the kernel even tho the outline skips over it..
At the outset, each time I run the routine I perform all steps fdisk delete and re-partition because I force shutdown in order to try again....so do I need mrproper and if so at what point should I insert/ make mrproper / I assume the directory is /usr/src/linux :roll:
I have installed Debian 2.4.20 many times in hda hdd with minor problems but cannot seem to decipher the gentoo system. I have several kernel forms available in Debian and had hopes of doing the same in gentoo with a lot of video capability and usb, Ieee1394 and .avi.
These are not easily obtained in Debian, besides I need some mental gymnastics to keep alive :!: :!: :!:
What say you about make mrproper :?:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

() good news! if u have a working debian kernel on your harddisk u can boot from that. just add a new section to your bootloader, treat the debian boot section like u would use a finished gentoo boot section and specify your gentoo-root instead of your debian-root. u should then be able to boot gentoo using your debian kernel

() to repeat the kernel configuration steps U DO NOT HAVE TO START FROM POINT 1 of the installation instructions - just boot (debian or the gentoo boot cd) and do the mount and chroot steps - u can then proceed where u stopped (at compiling the kernel). everything else will just be like u left it - there is absolutely no need to repartition every time....
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D I thank you again for your support.
I addressed an e-mail to gentoo suggesting changes in the install procedure to clarify the real world versus the programming generalities. Just a suggestion e-mail.
I have Debian alone on hda with three flavors.
I have win 98 on hdd alone.
I intend gentoo on hdc alone.
I have hde hdf and hdg. Hde and hdf on pci IDE and hdg is usb hdd.
Only hda thru hdd are bootable thru bios select. Hdb is cd-rom for the Live CD boot.

One :?: If I use computer RESET to reboot(as I must), isn't it very likely to mess up the install data entered during kernel acquire? That is why I start from scratch each time...
I have no desire to mix the win98, Debian or Gentoo on the same hdd. I may try some further os's on the remaining hdd's by installing them in place of one of them.
I feel that the install procedure for stage 3 would best be served with a separate listing :!:
Am i right about the reset :?:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if u have to do a manual reboot (reset) - reemerging the kernel sources should take care of any broken files in /usr/src - just boot, mount, chroot and proceed from there. if u dont trust the source do 'emerge <whatever>-sources' and try again from there.

mixing up the disks is really no problem - the only change u would make on your debian installation would be 2 or 3 lines in your bootloader configuration. once the kernel booted, the debian partition doesnt even have to be mounted in order to run gentoo with its kernel. this methode just has the convenience that u have a proper boot method to toy around with gentoo some more :)
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) I am under the impression that booting on lilo boot applies to the hdd upon which it is mounted and that it cannot refer to another hdd in the computer. Is this incorrect? I have searched for an answer to this question but always find examples for same hdd boot from one os to anbother... :?: :?: :?: :!:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry cant help u with that - i use GRUB - but i cant imagine that there is no possibility to specify a '/' (root directory/device) that is different from the directoy/device where the kernel resides (usually /boot)...
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) Thanks for prompt reply.
One thing I recall in review of the procedure....at partition section after writing the partitions to disk, a note appears saying if the fdisk or cfdisk asks for reboot, do so.
My fdisk did not ask for reboot.
The next step is to initialize the partitions(all three in my case). When that step completes a warning comes up stating that I have to reboot after fdisk(all data on will be lost) This is followed by;
continue (Y) (N)
Because I had completed Fdisk before this warning, without a warning in fdisk, I continued with a Y option. (First time through I rebooted...where do I return upon coming up again?) Result of reboot first time I did so...lost internet access.
After ignoring the warning to reboot was able to obtain all of the steps up to and through the compile and always received the same result...error 1.
The statement to reboot should include a statement as to where to take up upon coming up again(which probably means re-establish internet access and skip fdisk but do initialize partitions...no such instruction exists :!: :!: :roll: :cry:
If one is lucky the procedure might actually install stage 3 direct with the right system but I find it quite consistent in not compiling.
I searched LUG orange county, ca. Meeting on Saturday--requisite for help...bring in your computer(no way can I cart this monster anywhere with its seven drives and adsl programming with no telephone modem, usb keyboard and mouse, standard keyboard and mouse usb hdd,usb video and 17inch monitor) :cry: Its not a laptop!

Detail in instructions states Gentoo 1.4_rc4 is a minimal release only. 1.4_final will contain the usual x86 archs and GRP If you want install stages optimized for these other archs or GRP use 1.4_rc2 documentation.
The above applies to i686 pentium3 athlon athlon-mp stages LiveCD's and Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP). If I knew what this implies I might conclude that 1.4_rc4 is not correct for this computer...
:!: :roll: :oops: :lol: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!:
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just take the harddisk, the gentoo cd and the installations instructions to the LUG - they will be able to help u i think...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: