Knoppix/Morphix like Gentoo CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucretia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Knoppix/Morphix like Gentoo CD Reply with quote

Hi,

I was just wondering if this has been done already and if so, where can I get it ;-)

Say, you're a developer and you want to show off your piece of software to publishers. You develop under Linux not windaz, so you want a distribution that you write to a CD and can boot on any machine and still run your software.

Ideally, you would want to have a totally stripped down CD (no Office crap like Knoppix/Morphix has) and possibly have different builds, i386, Pentium and above, Athlon and above so that the person booting the CD can select, depending on the machine (or if you could get it detected at boot time, that'd be better).

Also, if you've written a package that uses KDE, then you want KDE and not GNOME, if you've written a package that uses GNOME, then use GNOME, MOTIF, etc. But if you have written a game, you might not want a window manager and you might want to boot straight into the game after X has started (no window manager).

Obviously, this would require heavy compression, a la Knoppix/Morphix to fit everything onto a normal CD.

Also, a configuration for this would be nice, so I can select what I want on the image.

So, the question is, does this exist?

Thanks,
Luke.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

emerge app-admin/livecd-ng

And make your own!
Lucretia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

I've never built it - obviously - but can I specify a different configuration (i386) to that which I have (Athlon) for example?

I would need this to be built to execute on any machine.

Thanks,
Luke.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: