trouble with install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csalsb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: trouble with install Reply with quote

I am installing gentoo on a new Asus P5E X38 with the intel ICH9R bridge. I am using the 2007 minimal cd and I can not see my sata hard drive installed on the board. I have a 3ware 8006 2lp raid controller and it is seeing that volume as /dev/sda. I have the sata in the bios set as IDE and nor Raid. So if any body has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
schachti
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel on the gentoo live cd is quite old. You could try if it works using any other live cd, for example knoppix or ubuntu - if it does, you can use that live cd to install gentoo.

How-To: Daten verschlüsselt auf DVD speichern.
malahal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page, it is small, can be put on a flash drive (liveUSB) or CD (liveCD), and is actually based on gentoo! Remember, you can install Gentoo from almost any liveCD. I tried the system rescue liveUSB when I had a problem similar to yours.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your hardware is new, so the minimal cd doesn't support your hardware. SystemRescueCD is really a Gentoo minimal CD with extra tools, so there is no extra command to install Gentoo with it.

Just boot with it, and think that this is a minimal Gentoo CD.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the mentioned live distros will work nicely. Just follow these instructions and you'll be just fine. :) (And, no, you don't have to use Knoppix ;)).
Carnildo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble with install Reply with quote

csalsb wrote:
I have the sata in the bios set as IDE and nor Raid. So if any body has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Is there a third setting of "ACHI"? If so, try that.
csalsb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I put it in AHCI and I was able to see the drive. I installed Gentoo on it and now when I boot I get the dreaded kernel panic. It tells me that VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,3). I have followed the hot to written on the ICH7 and ICH8 chipsets that were out there, but it appears many people are having issues with the ICH9R chipest. I have Tried both the gentoo-sources and the 2.6.24.1 kernel and no so luck. If anybody has gotten Gentoo to work on a ICH9R with the X38 chipset I would greatly appreciate some advice.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csalsb,

Code:
mount root fs on unknown block (8,3)
is /dev/sda3.

However, if you have managed to compile your kernel with both SATA and PATA support for your hard drive, PATA wins and your root will be /dev/hda3.

The message can also mean that the kernel is missing support for your root filesystem.

To test, at the grub splash screen press 'e' and edit your (real_)root=/dev/sda3 to read /dev/hda3 and contine the boot.
You will get a fsck error message if that works, as fsck cannoy find /dev/sda3 either (from your /etc/fstab)
Give the root password then run
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
to get read/write access to root.

You can now fix your kernel from inside your own system.
If you want to get your system up reasonably normally, edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf to use the /dev/hda nodes but be aware it will be very slow until you fix it properly as you will have no DMA, which is a 10x to 20x hdd speed improvement.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
csalsb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help I was ablt to get it fixed by selecting in the Sata section of the kernel the AHCI driver. I got rid of the intel chipset support all together and had just ahci and jmicrom pata. This did the trick. I appreciate all the advice.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the issue taken care of. Please add [SOLVED] to the original title, so that others can easily find your solution if they have a similar problem. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: