problems installing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s0ggyfish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: problems installing Reply with quote

pretty much have two problems, almost done installing gentoo on a powerbook g4 12' and when I run yabootconfig i get the following error:

Code:
yabootconfig: Could not determine necessary information, aborting...
yabootconfig: Are you using chroot yabootconfig instead of yaboot config --chroot ?

Since I am in fact using chroot (in accordance with the ppc gentoo install guide) I tried using yabootconfig --chroot / and get the same error. On both methods it identifies my bootstrap partition correctly and prompts to install it to boot Linux from the root partition though. I edited /etc/yaboot.conf manually since the above methods wouldn't work, and now when I boot I get a 'First stage GNU/Linux bootstrap" and I can boot into OS X just fine. However when I choose linux i get the following error:
Code:
boot: Linux
Please wait, loading kernel...
hd:13,/vmlinux: No such file or directory

After messing around with it for a bit I figured out how to boot into gentoo using hd:13,/boot/vmlinux at the boot: prompt.
Everything appears to work right, but then the kernel panics and I get the error
Code:
VFS: Cannot open root deivice "sda2" or 08:02
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

I've done some looking around and I'm pretty sure I followed the ppc guide exactly when it came to configuring the kernel and then compiling it so I'm pretty certain that it has ext3 support enabled which is the fs /dev/hda13 (root) uses. Also I am using an IDE drive so I'm not sure where 'sda2' is coming from, I'm kinda lost on this.
Koalawalawala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: partition tables Reply with quote

In the kernel's menuconfig, make sure you have File Systems --> Partition types --> Apple partitions.

Also make sure you have your chipset compiled in, and support for IDE disks.

-Koala
midan23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since I am in fact using chroot (in accordance with the ppc gentoo install guide) I tried using yabootconfig --chroot / and get the same error

I had the same problem ... I just switched to another console and used yabootconfig like this

Code:
yabootconfig -t /mnt/gentoo

It worked without problems on my iBook and on an old iMac
s0ggyfish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks yaboot -t /mnt/gentoo worked and yaboot works properly but I'm still getting kernel panics (albeit this time for hda 13) so I'm gonna take a look at the kernel's makemenuconfig as soon as I get a chance to.
s0ggyfish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through menuconfig and it looked like everything was set correctly, and on boot up I see that it detects the ide controller chip correctly but I still get the similar error
Code:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda13" or 03:0d
Please append a correct "root=" boot option

Is there any way I can pause the iniital startup screen so I can see exactly what comes up when it probes my ide devices and detects the chipset? I think I saw the correct information on there (something like 'probing ide0 and soemthing about Found Apply Uninorth chipset).
Koalawalawala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: a look back... Reply with quote

For your kernel's boot-spew, type 'dmesg' as root. To invoke a pager, use the 'Shift \' line, so that the following command is given input by the first:
Code:

root#> dmesg |less

Here's the part that should come up if you have the necessary hardware (chipset, drivers) checked in your kernel config:
Code:

ide0 at 0xf5124000-0xf5124007,0xf5124160 on irq 19
ide1 at 0xf5128000-0xf5128007,0xf5128160 on irq 20
hda: attached ide-disk driver.
hda: max request size: 1024KiB
hda: host protected area => 1
hda: 117210240 sectors (60012 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=7296/255/63, UDMA(66)
Partition check:
 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [mac] p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10 p11 p12 p13

Bear in mind that the output of 'dmesg' will change if you've chrooted.

-Koala
s0ggyfish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply...
how do I get to that prompt? I only have the boot: prompt and at the kernel panic part any key I press results in 'ADB HID on ID 2 not yet registreed, packet 0x2c,0xb1,0xff,0x0'. I can boot off the live-cd but then the output of dmesg changes after I chroot to my root partition like you said.
Koalawalawala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: give 'er the size 12 reboot. Reply with quote

If you attempt to boot with the installed configuration, you can recall the logs (including 'dmesg') when you chroot into it from the LiveCD.
If you'd just like my kernel .config (I use 2.4.21-ben2) and yaboot.conf (I load it to my bootstrap with 'ybin -v'), I'd be happy to pass it along; mine's a 1GHz PowerBook.

-Koala
s0ggyfish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally figured out what was going wrong, when I booted off of the cd /dev/hda was my hard drive and /dev/hdc was my cdrom, but when I booted the kernel /dev/hdc was my hard drive and /dev/hda was my cdrom for some reason. However in the yaboot.conf /dev/hda9 worked fine for my mac os x partition and for the boot = /dev/hda12 option. But I had to set root = /dev/hdc13 and once I did that and made the same changes to /etc/fstab it worked and I was able to boot up.
Thanks for the help all.
azote
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you I had the same problem ...

but my hard drive (hda with cd) was hde so in my yaboot.conf I had to set root=/dev/hde4

weird!!

THANKS!! this help me a lot .. it took me 2 weeks to fins this anwser!!

What do you want to emerge today?

if you think that a person is normal, it is because you do not know them well
detritus727
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

thank you I had the same problem ...

but my hard drive (hda with cd) was hde so in my yaboot.conf I had to set root=/dev/hde4

weird!!

@azote

can you tell me how to find out the correct entry for your harddrive. I couldn't see anything when the PW try to boot. When i use dmesg after chroot i don't think that i get the right log. Because when it is the right log then it shouldn't get in kernel panic.

I need the right keyboard combinatinos. How can i change to another console, alt+fn don't work? How can i page up the output? Where are the logfiles from booting? Can i find them in /var/log/messages?

Could someone send me his yaboot.conf and the regarding fstab. After a few tryouts with different changes i am more than a little bit confused. Probably somone who had the mapping problem.

Hope somebody knows.

Wer also Fehler findet darf sie gefälligst behalten.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: