emerge problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayman1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: emerge problem Reply with quote

I am installing from the minimal CD, following the guide very carefully, and all of a sudden right now, I can no longer emerge anything.

I got up to emerging a system logger, and when I tried, it said "cannot create C executables"

when I tried emerging a different system logger, it said:

-D_BSD_SOURCE -2 march=i686 -pipe -c client.c
march=i686: No such file or directory
unrecognized option -2

I am at a loss here on how to get around this
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check /etc/make.conf to see that your CFLAGS contains something like "-O2 -march=i686" instead of "-2 march=i686" That should take care of the problem with the second emerge.

As for the problem with the first, there are a lot of threads around that cover the topic of "C compiler cannot create executables"... Check out this google search to see if anything is relevant in your case.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post your make.conf please
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
rayman1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiberianSniper wrote:
Check /etc/make.conf to see that your CFLAGS contains something like "-O2 -march=i686" instead of "-2 march=i686" That should take care of the problem with the second emerge.

As for the problem with the first, there are a lot of threads around that cover the topic of "C compiler cannot create executables"... Check out this google search to see if anything is relevant in your case.

I mistyped the make.conf. Worked like magic, thanx.

As for the C thing, I looked at it before I posted and found a lot of stuff that did not help at all. It doesn't seem to be an issue right now though, so I'll try and re-create the problem when I got a working system up and running.

Thank for the help
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayman1986 wrote:
As for the C thing, I looked at it before I posted and found a lot of stuff that did not help at all. It doesn't seem to be an issue right now though, so I'll try and re-create the problem when I got a working system up and running.

Glad the make.conf thing worked....

As for the compiler thing and creating executables, I've fortunately never had that problem, but I agree there are too many threads to look through at first for finding your particular situation. If you figure anything else out, let us know. Or if that error never comes back, even better :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: