View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: xfce4 on fresh gentoo box - font is 2,000,000 pt! [SOLVED] Reply with quote

So I've gone through the install process twice, both times with similar results. I emerge xfce4 as per the gentoo doc's instructions. I set X server first and twm runs and looks fine. I install xfce4 and expect everything to go fine. However... when I startxfce4 I'm greeted with a font that is nearly 200 pt or something and windows that are nearly 5-6 desktops in length. The font on EVERYTHING is so large I can't navigate the menus. It's like I'm zoomed in 1000%. This is very bizarre problem, and after talking with a few people on IRC I tried a couple things.

First i was going to try to manipulate the font through ~/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/gtk.xml but that doesn't exist. The DisplaySize line was commented out of my xorg.conf, but I uncommented it and any numbers in that slot have no effect. My display adapter is an Intel 945GM Express chipset and the driver name that X11 decides to use is "intel". I haven't tried to install any other WMs so I'll see if I have the same problem on GNOME or something. I'd much rather use xfce if I can get it working. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by coryg on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

There should be something similar to...

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Note that the default depth (24) has different Modes set.

If you can get to "Display Preferences" whilst logged in to an XFCE4 session you may be able to change the resolution there too. If you do this make sure to "Save Settings" when you exit, otherwise you'll have to do it again next XFCE4 session.
coryg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my xorg.conf in that way, but that had no effect. That may be related, but I forgot to mention that it appears to me the desktop is running at 1280x1024. The icons and the font is sharp like the resolution is high, but the font is just wildly huge. The little menu icons are the right shape but even the xfce toolbar is blown up and the clock numbers are huge. I'm greeted with what is probably an error dialog when I start, all I can see is the very right edge of some letters. I press ESC, the little mouse shows up then the tooltip is gargantuan.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryg wrote:
I edited my xorg.conf in that way, but that had no effect. That may be related, but I forgot to mention that it appears to me the desktop is running at 1280x1024. The icons and the font is sharp like the resolution is high, but the font is just wildly huge. The little menu icons are the right shape but even the xfce toolbar is blown up and the clock numbers are huge. I'm greeted with what is probably an error dialog when I start, all I can see is the very right edge of some letters. I press ESC, the little mouse shows up then the tooltip is gargantuan.

You might want to try http://forum.xfce.org/. I did a quick search for you on the term 'huge font' and it returns this thread. One solution is to add an appropriate DPI setting to your xorg.conf (hence the request for you to post it).
coryg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
coryg wrote:

You might want to try http://forum.xfce.org/. I did a quick search for you on the term 'huge font' and it returns this thread. One solution is to add an appropriate DPI setting to your xorg.conf (hence the request for you to post it).

Dear god I owe you big time, thank you so much. This problem was driving me insane but using the info from that thread I was able to manipulate the DPI settings and it works! Here's what I ended up doing just for posterity:

Open ~/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb
Added the line "Xft.dpi: 100" - According the other thread there are several options here, but 100 worked for me.

Adding "DPI" "96 x 96" to "Monitor" in xorg.conf did not work for me, but it might for some.

Thanks again for the help/
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool glad it helped.

If you could edit the title of your first post to include "[SOLVED]" then it will help others searching these forums in the future.

All the best,

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: