View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke355
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Mozilla / Firebird extensions help please Reply with quote

I am trying to install the mouse gestures at optimoz.mozdev.org and also some tab extensions found on the firebird page. I have installed both in windows, and they have worked properly. My problems in linux are as follows:

1. When I try and install any extension/addon in Mozilla or Firebird, it says I dont have access to the mozilla/chrome directory (unless I am root). Making that directory group / world writeable seems to let me at least start the installation, but it fails.

2. When I install the mouse gestures as root and have them bound to right click (to do gesture), it pops up the right click context menu instead of activating the gesture. This works fine with the same package in windows.

3. When I have the mouse gestures installed (did them as root), and try and load up mozilla or firebird as a normal user, mozilla locks up loading and i have to kill the process.

4. When the tab extensions are installed as root, no users can see / use them.

I realize that 1 and 3 are probably permission errors, but I am not sure how to solve them for all users without making the mozilla directory and subdirectory world writeable (that still didn't seem to work).

Can someone give me some ideas of how to correct any of these problems?

Thanks.
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... i am sorry but from my experience the mouse gestures extensions cause MANY problems under linux -- moz crashes, input field failures, just plain not working and some others that i cannot remember. i have never had any trouble with the tabbed browsing extensions (i have all of the tabbed browsing extensions installed and in use 'cause i am a tab browser nut)

so i say give yet more feedback (i believe that the extension maker has a forum of some sort and i believe i saw people posting their problems on it) to the extension maker and just don't use it under linux yet...

i repeat my apologies for not knowing an immediate solution...
anz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: firebird -> extension instalation -> user rights corru Reply with quote

Hello Locke355,
I had the same problem - Firebird plus mouse gesture as root - no problems, but when starting as "normal" user -> bang, no mozilla. I think after installation of the extension as root, something went wrong with the user rights in the Firebird directory. So I went into the /usr/lib/ (or where your MozillaFirebird directory is) and chmod the Firebird-directory recursively:
chmod -R 755 MozillaFirebird
I hope, this helps you ... after that, I could work again with the Firebird ...

cU, anz
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: