Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Haven't used Gentoo in a while, but now that I have a UMPC..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecskier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Haven't used Gentoo in a while, but now that I have a UMPC.. Reply with quote

.I understand the importance of an optimized install...

Right now I am running a patchwork kubuntu setup on my Kohjinsha sh6, and I've gotten just about everything I want to work working, but even though there's very little left of the ubuntu drivers and configurations I've hit a couple walls that people don't seem to have issues with in Gentoo.

I ran a Gentoo desktop and a server for a few years a while back, but haven't had time/a need to dedicate computers to compiling for days on end lately. This time I'm looking to go all out and make a kind of Gentoo based kohjinsha snapshot so that I only have to do this every once in a while.

First off, I'm assuming an Intel A100 at 600mhz with 2GB of ddr2-400 will take a long ass time to install Gentoo with, so I was thinking of doing all the necessary compiling and what-not on my desktop (2.4ghz AMD X2 with 2GB ram) which I'd imagine would be significantly faster. Only thing is, I've always installed Gentoo on faster computers, so I've never had to do anything like this. I've searched around and found some neat tips, but I haven't found much info about just how quickly the SH6 would install. Would it be worth it to go through the hassle of installing on a flash-drive from my desktop and then copy everything to the SH6?

Second, what would be the best way to optimize for this platform? The A100 is based off of the old Pentium-M architecture, which in turn was based on the even older Pentium-III. I have no experience with any of these architectures, so I have no idea which would be the best starting point. I guess I'm just looking for a quick tip-off here, I can do research on my own, I just need to know if I should be doing anything special.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Nick C
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have some version of linux on your desktop then take a look at distcc, theres a pretty decent guide to using it in the gentoo docs part of the website (technically it can even run via cygwin on windows, but ive never tried this and have no idea how well it might work). Using distcc should give you a nice speed bump by letting your desktop do most of the heavy work and let your laptop just work on processing jobs and installing stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: