How I got a Realplayer sort of working on my AMD64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunnarvxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: How I got a Realplayer sort of working on my AMD64 Reply with quote

I got a new box with dual core AMD64. A friend suggested Gentoo, and I am still on that path. So far I have made a lot of mistakes, but learned a lot about how things in Linux actually works. I have an ASUS M2N-E motherboard with integrated sound (run via snd_hda_intel driver).

Anyway I started out with no OSS sound, just Alsa (I thought). After some initial fooling around (accidentally compiling without the alsa flag... :oops: ) I managed to get sound working in e.g. VLC, the media player. Eventually I installed realplayer (# emerge realplayer). Real nice working Realplayer got installed (version 10.0.9). The plugin worked too via installation through "nspluginwrapper" if I remember correctly. But although Realplayer appeared to work (showing the track being played, time progressing etc) there was no sound. Absolutely no sound! :evil:

I then figured out I had to use OSS (I found postings on the net, suggesting this). I recompiled the kernel with oss emulation. Absolutely no luck with Realplayer. No sound. So I backed out of that alley, and recompiled kernel without OSS emulation again.

I then stumbled across a posting suggesting the very latest nightly built Realplayer from http://forms.helixcommunity.org/helix/builds/?category=realplay-current According to the posting, it should work with Alsa right out of the box.

I first removed my soundless Realplayer 10.0.9 (#emerge --unmerge realplayer).

I downloaded realplay-10.1.0.4007-linux-2.6-glibc23-amd64.bin and tried to run it. Got complaints about missing libstdc++. So I did "# emerge libstdc++" which then enabled me to install the Realplayer. In the Gnome menu, it shows up as "RealPlayer 11" (?).

The standalone player (version 10.1.0.4007) works great. Still no luck with the plugins. For some reason nspluginwrapper does not like them. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it. I have understood there are 32-bit and 64-bit browsers and the same fow plugins. Maybe I am combining them in a stupid way. My Firefox tells me it's
Quote:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20080130 Firefox/2.0.0.11
does that mean I have a 64 bit browser?

When encountering a sound stream on the net (a .ram) file, Firefox nicely suggests to play it with RealPlayer, but there are problems with this. I instead save the file on disk, open it and (possibly via a .smil) I dig out the "rtsp://bla.bla" URL and throws it at Realplayer, which then plays the file perfectly.

Since there are a lot of folks with soundless Realplayers, I decided to share my observations.

Last edited by gunnarvxo on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried mplayer?

The 64-bit build has support for the amd64codecs package, which is basically the "real" media codecs and should be good for most files, and mplayer supports playing rtsp protocol streams too.

As for firefox, did you do an x86_64 install and emerge the www-client/mozilla-firefox rather than the www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin package?
If so, then firefox is 64 bit.
gunnarvxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
Have you tried mplayer?

Thanks for the tip! Yes mplayer does the job very nicely. It does handle the rtsp:// stream.

Sites with such RealAudio streams often provide a link to a .ram file, which contains a link to a .smil file, which finally links to the rtsp:// stream. Does anybody know how to streamline the process of getting hold of the rtsp:/??
When Realplayer is in the moods it traverses these links automatically, starts the playback automatically and even shows the image (specified in the .smil file), but for some reason it fails about 2/3 of the time. Can these steps be automated with mplayer too?

In my original posting I said the Realplayer plugins did not work at all. They actually do, sometimes. Sometimes I need to click a link 4-5 times but eventually the browser plugin actually starts and plays nicely. This is true when listening to e.g. www.sr.se (Swedish Public Service).

Hopeless wrote:
As for firefox, did you do an x86_64 install ...

Yes I did, so I guess I am surfing 64-bits!
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How I got a Realplayer sort of working on my AMD64 Reply with quote

gunnarvxo wrote:
The standalone player (version 10.1.0.4007) works great. Still no luck with the plugins. For some reason nspluginwrapper does not like them.

The plugin is 64bit. So no need for nspluginwrapper.

Works quite well here (realplayer 10.1.0.4004) in firefox. Only thing that does not work, is if I click on "launch in standalone player" on betalounge.com, nothing happens. But the plugin is working OK.

Tested on http://betalounge.com and http://samurai.fm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: