*CRY* 11 re-installs/compiles and still a Kernel Panic *CRY*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: *CRY* 11 re-installs/compiles and still a Kernel Panic *CRY* Reply with quote

Could someone please help me...

I have long wanted to experience the Gentoo distro but i never carried throught till a few days ago..

I love the concept about total control...

I love the installer and live cd...

here is my problem:::

I have reinstalled the system 8 times total AND i have recompiled the kernel 6 times and still i recieve a kernel panic, the last time i even used the .config from the cd and still it did not work::

VP_IDE:Not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide:Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE:VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE
UDMA 100 controller on pci 00:07.1
ide0:BM-DMA at 0xd400-0xd407,
BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio,
ide1:BM-DMA at 0xd408-0xd40f,
BIOS settings: hdc:dma, hdd:dma
cpu0:machinecheck exception:
Bank3:b40000000000083b at
00000001fc00c400
Kernel panic : unable to continue

I would like someone to give me a step by step walkthrough on configuring and compiling the kernel what features to enable disable moduleize or fully compile in Y/N/M/? step by step could someone help me i donot know what to do!!!

When i put in the CD i immedieatly fell in love with the concept and practice but i am distraught....

I need help and i donot know where to turn!!!

please help!!!

I have a FIC AT31 fusion K7 ATI solution with integated ATI radeon IGP 320

i have an AMD AthlonXP 1800+ CPU

I have an 8 GB WD hdd

and 256 mb ram pc2100

not overclocked i dont think

ATI 128 Rage pro Video Card

VIA chipset

RealTek Int Lan

A'97 Int audio

Last edited by snail on Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:45 pm; edited 6 times in total
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cpu0:machinecheck exception:
Bank3:b40000000000083b at
00000001fc00c400
Kernel panic : unable to continue

This is a hardware (CPU) problem! What's your CPU?
Anacific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you don't have to reinstall everything just because your kernel doesn't work. If your kernel doesn't work all you have to do is to boot off the CD, chroot and try again.

It seems that there's something with your BIOS or CPU. Maybe it's overclocked?

How about listing what hardware you have like Motherboard, cpu, hard drives, what brand of RAM, etc. Is anything overclocked? Details please :)
snail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: I have had kernel troubles before.... Reply with quote

I have had kernel troubles before when I recompiled redhat but not on this machine...

Thanks anyways but I know about the Chroot :-) i have previous linux experience and on my 3rd install i was thinking "wait" i already installed all of the stuff i just need to goto /usr/src/linux to config the kernel becaue it is already downloaded!!!!

It may be a bios problem and if it is I would be asking for help to try to fix it too!!!

So please could I have help configging the BIOS and kernel step by step???

Last edited by snail on Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snail,

Since you get a machine check exception, I would guess that you have got the CPU type set to a different CPU than the one on which you are trying to run your kernel. (One with less facilities than you have compiled for)

What CPU do you have?

What is set in /usr/src/linux/.config ?

Depending on the stage you started from, the flags in /etc/make.conf could be wrong too. If the compiler was producing code that won't run on your CPU, for example. This cannot be the problem if you started at stage one, since you have already run code that you have compiled. (gcc, glibc etc.)

If you want to try a kernel that will run, set the CPU type to 386. That will run on anything.

Look in /usr/src/linux/Documents/ for info on the kernel. The help file for make menuconfig is there as a text document. Its a lot easier to read with nano or less than at kernel make menuconfig time.

A rule of thumb for building kernels is that everything not required for booting should be a module if possible. So, if /boot is on an ext2 filesystem and /usr is on rieserfs you better build both ext2fs and rieserfs into the kernel because the kernel needs ext2fs to load and rieserfs to load its modules after the filesystems are mounted. It can't load modules until then.

Regards,

Neddyseagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
snail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: i started from stage1 and i have the kernel set to AthlonXP. Reply with quote

I started from stage1 and my make.conf has ~x86 and athlonXP in it and so does the kernel the kernel also has athlonXP which i have...

What should my BIOS be set to???

I have my system set up as follows:

/dev/hdd1 boot ext3

/dev/hdd2 swap

/dev/hdd3 root reiserfs

I donot know what i should config in my BIOS and what things i should compile into the kernel...
snail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Okay Reply with quote

Im just going to put Athlon in the configs and kernel because i am having loads of trouble wiht AthlonXP it is still kernel panicing so I would really like some help Please i need help i donot know what to do I am a newbie please help!!!
Haro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could copy the kernel from the LiveCD (can't remember where it's located on the disc) to your HD and create multiple boots in your grub/lilo conf. This would eliminate the need to pop in the liveCD everytime it doesn't work.
packersthor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the vanilla-sources. I had a kernel panic when I used gentoo-sources, not sure exactly what the panic was, but I switched to vanilla-sources and all worked well.
hmiller68
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would get the same panic, I found that disabling the apci in the processor options
and the AMD 768 random number generator in the character devices helped me end that,I also did away witht the AMD power management thing in there as well and I was right as rain from then on.
snail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Thanks hmiller68 you helped a bunch IT WORKS!!!! Reply with quote

Thankyou hmiller68 what you suggested WORKED!!! it worked and now i can use my system I am so happy!!!

Thankyou so much!!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: