Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does e2fsprogs-1.40.6 support ext4dev fs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dottout,

Thanks for the info. Was able to successfully emerge git version of e2fsprogs-1.40.5-r1. Now have Gentoo on ext4dev with extents enabled.
Experimenting with journal_data_ordered mode vs. journal_data, concerning speed of emerge --sync and metadata syncing.

Seems to be faster than ext3 with the same setup.

Thanks,
Gary :)
Thargor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlackwareInAZ: The version from git is >1.40.6. And I use data=writeback and it's reallty faster than ext3.

The ${PN}-wtf-git-conflict.patch is not needed anymore, it was a attempt by me to fix the conflicts in the pu branch, but I failed, so just use e2fsprogs-interim and be happy :D
creidiki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thargor wrote:
SlackwareInAZ: The version from git is >1.40.6. And I use data=writeback and it's reallty faster than ext3.

Writeback is fast.

It also removes most advantages of having a journalled filesystem.

Quote:
data=writeback Data ordering is not preserved, data may be written
into the main file system after its metadata has been
committed to the journal.

Meaning its quite possible to end up with inconsistent data on disk after a crash and log replay, because it can, and often will, write the operation as executed in the journal before it actually does it.

Personally, I've always considered ext3's main advantage over other journalled FSs to be the ability to journal data as well. Otherwise you might as well use jfs or something.
Thargor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are totaly right.
I should have pointed out that I do have backups, just in case :wink:
Also, one should not even think about using a experimental fs without making backups and for /home I use ext3 with journal=data anyway.
And as long as jour system does not crash that often, you have nothing to fear.
Dottout
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backups ftw!
by the way, Im using these 9999 ebuilds, but if I rebuild util-linux over git ss/com_err/e2fsprogs my system doesnt boot anymore. so, you are warned ;)
creidiki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dottout wrote:
backups ftw!

Indeed!
Dottout wrote:
by the way, Im using these 9999 ebuilds, but if I rebuild util-linux over git ss/com_err/e2fsprogs my system doesnt boot anymore. so, you are warned ;)

And a very good warning it is too, and also the reason why I'm not trying ext4 yet - I'll do it when I don't have to watch over package updates like a hawk :)
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys, let's see if I've got this right now!

To summarize, the ebuilds "pull from the e2fsprogs-interim branch of the .git repository" are > 1.40.6, even though the ebuild code for e2fsprogs says 1.40-5-r1?

And any future changes to the interim branch could be captured by repeating the process of reemerging e2sprogs with these same ebuilds or would they have to be updated as well?

Although I was successful with Gentoo using the ebuilds, again in the most simplest steps how can I directly access the e2fsprogs-interim .git branch to build e2fsprogs > 1.40.6, concerning my Slackware install? It has the standard 1.40.6 version.
I can't get the .git version to build. Shouldn't it also build the "new and improved" com_err and ss libraries as well?

When I formatted my Gentoo partition (sda7) using the standard e2fsprogs from within Slackware I was able to extract my Gentoo tarball fine. I chrooted into it and did the git ebuild procedure fine. However, the first actual boot into Gentoo requires dropping into a repair shell and doing a forced fsck with the git e2fsck using e2fsck -f -y to repair LOTS of inode issues.

I am sure this was because the "regular" e2sprogs did not properly set the extents.

So I am slowly getting up to speed with this ext4dev fs which I am excited about.

It seems that the journal=data mode seems the quickest doing emerge-sync. Is that because of the massive I/O operations (both read and write) going on? Or would journal_data_ordered mode be better? Agree with the above postings that writeback mode is risky and pointless to use in ext3/4dev and I have never seen any perceptible improvements anyway.

Enlighten me oh wise teachers!!

Gary :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: