TeX Live, LyX and fonts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: TeX Live, LyX and fonts Reply with quote

Even though I know almost everything and I'm extremely tough guy and generally cool in most ways, I'm an absolute nøøb when it comes to TeX, LaTeX, LyX and other mixed-case subjects.

I've installed texlive and lyx and all their dependencies without difficulties and everything seems to work fine. But there's one thing that bugs me: texlive comes with huge amount of fonts (texlive-fontsextra), but how can I use them in LyX? LyX → Document → Settings → Fonts lists less than 15 serif fonts and only a couple of them are actually usable for my purposes (I love Palatino, though). I've been RTFMing like there's no tomorrow, but it hasn't gotten me very far.

Oh, and extra points for anyone who tells me the purpose of these directories: /usr/share/texmf, /usr/share/texmf-dist and /usr/share/texmf-site.

\kthxbye{}
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help.
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, but I have to admit, I still don't quite get it.

It appears I can load some fonts using \usepackage{font} command and some using \renewcommand*\rmdefault{font}\normalfont\upshape. And apparently the directory name is used for {font}. So, /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/antt\renewcommand*\rmdefault{antt}\normalfont\upshape → wham, I've got Antykwa Torunska. Now, how am I supposed to know that? And why doesn't \usepackage{antt} work ("LaTeX Error: File 'antt.sty' not found.") when /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/adobe/utopia\usepackage{utopia} does?

Cool. As you can see, I've no idea what I am doing. There has to be a better way.

Are the fonts accessible through LyX's menus hardcoded somehow? I would like to see every installed font appear in the drop-down menus. I guess that's not going to happen. But what surprises me is that after many-many-many-hours of googling and crawling through wikis and e-mail archives I've found no actual evidence of anyone else having similar problems (and to be honest: when I'm having difficulties with software, I'm rarely the only one). It seems like changing and installing new fonts is either the most trivial thing imaginable or it's so obviously difficult that no one is even going to try.

I found some PDF's here. The Font Installation Guide sounds pretty neat. Hmm. "You will need the following additional manuals while working with this guide". Stacked together, that's 532 pages. I guess I've grown too comfortable with my own little reality.

Do people really deal with this stuff?
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i am not an expert either, and have absolutely no clue about lyx. when i create latex files, i use vim for that.
at least i know why \usepackage{antt} does not work, but \usepackage{utopia} does.
all the things that work with \usepackage have a .sty file. in this case it's in /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/utopia.sty.
the font file alone is not enough.
and... not all things in latex are really logically correct and/or have a understandable structure.
please don't try to understand everything that latex does. you will fail. just accept some crazy facts.
and... latex was not intended to do what you want it to do, that's "latex, use this font for this paragraph!".
normally you would use some word processor like e.g. ooo writer for that.
all the packages that exist for using fonts were made out of special needs of people. and that's also why not everything works the same way.

i hope that helps
alex
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.blackbit wrote:
at least i know why \usepackage{antt} does not work, but \usepackage{utopia} does.

This is simple: Because it should read \usepackage{anttor} (or probably \usepackage[math]{anttor}). The LaTeX font catalogue (from the above link) shows you most of the reasonable fonts and describes how to use them for the document.
Quote:
not all things in latex are really logically correct and/or have a understandable structure.

Although this is true in some cases, the issue about fonts is different: There cannot be a universal solution, since there are so many font variants. Some fonts are serif with a matching grotesque, typewriter font and medieval numbers, others are only sans-serif, others have a matching math font, some a light variant, some match with another grotesque if that is scaled differently, some are missing certain symbols (e.g. euro-symbol) which might be chosen from another "matching" font etc...
For those which are available with \usepackage{...}, somebody has already written a usable "collection" (whatever this means; it can also mean just a certain grotesque font).
Quote:
latex was not intended to do what you want it to do, that's "latex, use this font for this paragraph!".
normally you would use some word processor like e.g. ooo writer for that.

No sane person would use that at all (e.g. different serif fonts or even different grotesque's in the same document; of course, you can switch to certain variants (e.g. italics) of the same font) - unless it happens that you are writing a document about fonts (in this case, you can do it with LaTeX, but then you really have to dwelve into the messy details). The "feature" that you can do this so easily with some word processors is actually a misfeature and one of the causes of so many terribly looking documents.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: