View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavlyArmdPokey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Horizontal Tearing Using Nvidia Drivers and LCD Reply with quote

Hello. I seem to have a very odd problem, because hours of googling turns up nothing. You see, I have two LCDs - a BenQ FP93G-X 19" and a Soyo Topaz S 24". I'm running an 8800GTX with nvidia-drivers 169.09 and gentoo-sources 2.6.23-r3. The problem I'm about to describe has always existed, however.

Soyo 24" LCD
BenQ 19" LCD
My xorg.conf - At the moment the 24" is disabled

The monitors are very nice and have worked well, except for one thing - the 19" has a peculiar little line that runs down the screen. To illustrate, here's a picture:

Odd tearing

Sorry about the quality of the picture. If you can't tell, I'm dragging the nvidia-settings window back and forth horizontally. The bottom half is lagging behind the top half. The inexplicable thing is that the "tearing line" slowly moves down the screen, and when it hits the bottom, it starts back up at the top again. Everywhere else is smooth sailing. It's almost as if the refresh rate is a Hz off or something.

I've tried many things to remedy this problem; I have spent many fruitless hours experimenting with custom modelines. Previously, I solved the problem with Compiz-Fusion and vsync, but I have since decided to cut the eye candy, and I now have to deal with this again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculating wildly: I don't think that a single video card can synchronize *two* displays. So the second display has some annoying "artifacts", since it is synchronized with the first display, which means that it is not quite right.
HeavlyArmdPokey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speculating wildly: I don't think that a single video card can synchronize *two* displays. So the second display has some annoying "artifacts", since it is synchronized with the first display, which means that it is not quite right.

Yes, that is a logical conclusion. The only problem is that the issue existed before I added the second monitor, and persists even though the second monitor is currently disabled.

Can anybody help?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: