cant find vim or gcc on the live cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BossOfTheGame
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: cant find vim or gcc on the live cd Reply with quote

I'm installing gentoo right now with little success. To try and solve some of my problems I wanted to edit some files quickly with the vim search and replace command. However vim is not on the live cd, just nano. I downloaded vim using links and when I ran ./configure it couldn't find the gcc compiler. A c compiler should be on there because I was able to compile my kernel right? I already downloaded vim 7.1 source, how do I get access to the binaries?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The livecd is (IMO) set up pretty badly; don't even try to get vim out of it.

I forget, but there might be a regular ol' vi on there somewhere. Or, suck it up and use nano (that was a bit annoying the time I had to do it :D ).

Or, don't use the livecd at all. I installed from the fedora livedvd last time...

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
BossOfTheGame
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't use nano because I don't have time to delete 1000 lines. I have the vim source, I just need to compile it, thats why I need to know where gcc is.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BossOfTheGame wrote:
I can't use nano because I don't have time to delete 1000 lines. I have the vim source, I just need to compile it, thats why I need to know where gcc is.

It's a bit more complicated than that... AFAIK, there is no native compiler on the livecd - the reason you were able to compile stuff for the guest is that it used the guest compiler (from the stage tarball). Stuff compiled there would have to be run there, and it'll mess up portage.

What 1000 lines do you have to delete anyway? Could it be faster to: a. start from scratch, or b. use sed?

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you editing prior to extracting the stage and chrooting? If you have already extracted the stage and chrooted you can just go ahead and emerge vim (I assume you also extracted the latest portage snapshot).
BossOfTheGame
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to my local gentoo guru and he said to just emerge vim, which I did in the chrooted environment, but I still can't seem to find it or open it. I don't believe the emerge gave me any errors. I did find the gcc compiler it was i586-pc-linux-gnu-gcc.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BossOfTheGame wrote:
I just talked to my local gentoo guru and he said to just emerge vim, which I did in the chrooted environment, but I still can't seem to find it or open it. I don't believe the emerge gave me any errors. I did find the gcc compiler it was i586-pc-linux-gnu-gcc.

Your still in the chroot? What is your $PATH set too and what does this return

Code:
which vim

The vim executable should be in /usr/bin
BossOfTheGame
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now I'm not in chroot, I'm booting from the hard drive. It should be the same thing. My path is "-bash: /usr/local/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1:/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/cc-bin/4.1.1: No Such file or directory"
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BossOfTheGame wrote:
right now I'm not in chroot, I'm booting from the hard drive. It should be the same thing. My path is "-bash: /usr/local/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1:/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/cc-bin/4.1.1: No Such file or directory"

hmm are you sure it installed properly? and is this a typo

Quote:
/usr/local/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1:/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/cc-bin/4.1.1p

or is the slash actually missing?

Anyway it should be in /usr/bin if it was installed. I'd double check if it installed correctly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: