tool to write AVI/RIFF Header tags?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: tool to write AVI/RIFF Header tags? Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to have keywords (like in ID3 tags) for my AVI files. I know of a windows gui tool that can do this. But for >10000 files this is not worth it.

What I have in mind is a script that anaylses the pathname and writes parts of it as keywords to the header. I already have the script (created it to do the same job for my pictures).

AFAIK Mencoder can write AVI header information when encoding to AVI. But that would include copying each and every file. not that appealing :roll:

Now my question:
Does anyone know an application, tool, library or programming language module that can update the header information of an AVI/RIFF file?

I know this is most likely more of a programming question. As of if there were a application or tool I would most likely have found it by now. :roll: I also looked over at CPAN, but they only provide a module to read the information.

However, any hint is much appreciated.

fangorn
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not familiar with the internals of the avi format, but maybe what you want to do is not that simple.
the windows program you have... after adding a tag, is the file bigger afterwards? if yes that would mean that you have to move most parts of the file to get space for your tag.
a (of course not optimal) way would be to use this funny windows program anyway if it accepts command line parameters. i often forget myself that even windows has a shell, ... well at least something like a shell.
anyway, good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: