Custom install CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arpad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Custom install CD Reply with quote

Hi!

I have an LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068 PCI-X Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 02) device. The kernel on the 2007.0 minimal install CD don't support this hardware. I want to replace the kernel on this disc to a newer one. Is there any HOW-TO or documentation about this? Or is there anyobdy who already made this?

Thanks for any help!

Arpad
snakehsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably only need a mptsas module compiled for your Live CD kernel.

But if it is not included in the pre-compiled kernel on your Live CD, which is very likely, you can

a) get another distro's Live CD/DVD that has the module compiled;
b) Get a LiveDVD (such as Sabayon's) with kernel header files, which take space and are usually absent from Live CDs;
or c) Install the system on a disk supported by the minimum install CD, boot to the new system;

then, for installation, compile a new kernel with mptsas support built in instead of as a module ((*) in
Code:
make menuconfig
, not (M)) there, mount your mptsas device, then install just like following the handbook, but remember to copy the new kernel with mptsas support to the /boot partition on your SCSI drive, and do necessary editing in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

For building your customised live CD:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_scratch
Still, you need a working Gentoo environment to build the CD and you need to compile a kernel with built-in mptsas support.
arpad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The problem was something else. The server doesn't have RAID activation key, so the RAID controller was cloaked from the OS (the BIOS changed the PCI ID to an unknown one). After I turned off RAID in the BIOS the 2007.0 install disc detected the HW.

Thanks, for your help again. I searched the link you gave me for a long time ago, for another reasons.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: