xawtv over remote network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: xawtv over remote network Reply with quote

not really gentoo specific, but wth. does anyone know if it's possible to run xawtv over a network? if so, how does this need to be setup? i ssh into the remote box that has an ati aiw 128 pro card, and try to run xawtv, but it either can't open the display or can't find /dev/video0 stuff. the remote box has a radeon 7000 (shoulda stuck with a couple aiw 128 cards :) ). any helps would be most appreciated.
mihochan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After logging into the reomte box, try the following,
Code:
export DISPLAY=the.local.machine:0.0
xawtv

The problem you are having is with X and not the particular programme.
The above should fix it, if not you might need to delve deeper into you
X configuration.

Tom
raziel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is run xawtv --remote. HOWEVER:

Because of the way ATI TV cards work (i.e. just viewing an overlay instead of doing any real frame grabbing) you're not gonna be able to use a remote display with it. Last I checked, it just wasn't supported. You're lucky to be able to use xawtv for a local display. There was a long time there that we couldn't.

As it stands, the ATI TV cards are rather weak for actual TV use in Linux. You may notice that to do de-interlacing, it actually discards/drops/ignores half the frames! It sucks for video gaming :(
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raziel wrote:
All you need to do is run xawtv --remote. HOWEVER:

Because of the way ATI TV cards work (i.e. just viewing an overlay instead of doing any real frame grabbing) you're not gonna be able to use a remote display with it. Last I checked, it just wasn't supported. You're lucky to be able to use xawtv for a local display. There was a long time there that we couldn't.

i thought that was due to the lack of linux drivers. it seems to work good for local display. i've tried the suggestion in the other posters comment, but that didn't work at all. it appreaed to be looking for v4l drivers on the local box. i would think the v4l should be needed on the remote box, and only a card capable of displaying the output should be needed on the local box.

raziel wrote:

As it stands, the ATI TV cards are rather weak for actual TV use in Linux. You may notice that to do de-interlacing, it actually discards/drops/ignores half the frames! It sucks for video gaming :(

haven't had much problems playing games once i've got the correct dri/drm kernel modules installed and loaded. The rage128 seems to give decent performance, though I'm not playing UT2003 or anything with it.
koala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having success running xawtv and xawdecode from a remote machine (but on a BT878 type card), you just need to disable the usage of video acceleration extensions and set the display mode not to overlay video (grabdisplay in xawdecode).

However, audio still has me. xawdecode tries to mmap the audio device, and so I cannot esddsp it over the network. I'm thinking of wrapping it through artsdsp, but I don't have arts installed in that machine... any ideas?
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works here too w/ a BT878 card.
koala : Anything new on the audio thing ?

.:: zen ::.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works here too w/ a BT878 card.
koala : Anything new on the audio thing ?

.:: zen ::.
Mitchybums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

over ssh it works great with x forwarding enabled, xawtv -remote.
audio is still a problem. I got it working by using a 30ft extensioncord from my server(with tvcard) to my laptop.
Xawtv itself doesnt seem to do anything with the audio. it just bturns it on, and that makes it come out of the tv card's audio. If you have a soundcard loop on it, the soundcard just forwards it without use of the computer itself to the speaker output.
Because it works this way, it uses less cpu power, but it's pretty much impossible to grab for remote usage.
I tried esd and arts, and I could get xmms working remotely on both of them.
I played with real producer and realserver, and that actualy worked because the commandline options for producer actualy alow you to grab from the line in.
Problem in this senario is the changing of channels.
tried stuff to use xawtv for video and realproducer for audio, but it's got a 20sec lag.
icecast and livecast work better, but even with buffering disabled it has a 5 sec lag.

if someone knows how to grab audio from the device and put it in esd or arts, that should work.
I even inserted the btv audio module, and could play with it in kmix, but still the audio came out of the soundcard of my server instead of my laptop.

hope it's usefull for someone to come to a solution.
(also had a look at the new mediaapplicationserver.com, but doesnt seem to work for it either)
commanderfoxtrot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Moving the audio over the network Reply with quote

Re getting the audio over the network, the btaudio help file (somewhere in /usr/src/linux/Documentation) shows how to use sox to send the sound data to the speaker from the btaudio device. It would be simple to rewrite this to send it to esddsp. Even an NFS-shared FIFO may work!

Try a google search for this sort of thing: it's not a gentoo-centric problem.
Twink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember hearing that you can export local hardware as a block device for other computers to use as if it was local hardware, so if you can export video0 and dsp0, then capture from dsp0's linein and pipe it out to your own sound card, dunno sounds good to me no idea how to do it thou =(
zephred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also use ffserver from ffmpeg, and view the stream from the remote machine with mplayer. I think there is plenty of other streaming softwares around...
Mitchybums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streaming servers work, but the only thing that I ever got working with audio is realproducer and realserver. everything else didnt work for me.
problem is that it's a pain to change channels.
(stop the streaming command, change channel, start streaming, reconnect client and wait 20 secs for it to catch up.)

the only thing I found so far for the audio working with xawtv -remote is a 30 ft extension cable
cbreaker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchybums wrote:
the only thing I found so far for the audio working with xawtv -remote is a 30 ft extension cable

That's actually kinda funny. =)

I have a similar problem and I'm looking for a solution, when I find one I'll certainly post it. 5 second delays in audio are pretty much useless when trying to watch video that goes along with it, and a cable for sound kinda defeats the purpose of 802.11.

I've always found sound over the network to be a real pain.
koala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!

For listening A's tv on B:

Started esd on B with:

esd -tcp -public -promiscuous -nobeeps

And ran sox on A:

sox -c 2 -w -r 32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -t sw - | esdcat -r 32000 -s <<B's IP address>>

Docs on /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/btaudio :)
thinair
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tips :-)

thanx,
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get xawtv to work over my network. I've got an old cyrix 6x86 box downstairs with a hauppauge tv-card in and it works fine on the local desktop.

However when I try to watch it over the network over ssh it displays a frame every few seconds and that's it. The network actvity is only about 70K according to gkrellm, I was expecting it to be a bit higher than that for the video stream. Is this an X issue or is there something I've missed. I've tried running xawtv
Code:
xawtv -noxv -remote -novm -nodga
but that doesn't help wither.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed from gkrellm that locally it uses 70 - 90% of CPU time to operate the tv-card which is understandable for such a crap old machine, but when I run it remotely it uses a negligible amount, like 2%. It's like its hardly trying.

EDIT2: I just noticed that when I run xawtv locally it says on the window initially
Code:
3200x1200, 32bit TrueColour

Could this be a problem, is it trying to display in this crazy resoloution because of my dual screens both running 1600x1200.
Some xawtv output from turning it on remotely, to quitting:
Code:

puggy@frodo puggy $ xawtv -noxv -remote -novm -nodga
This is xawtv-3.86, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.20-gentoo-r5)
xinerama 0: 1600x1200+1600+0
xinerama 1: 1600x1200+0+0
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
config: invalid value for input: (null)
valid choices for "input": "Television", "Composite1", "S-Video", "Composite3"
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  key
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>key: Command(setstation,"Video")'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors

Cheers for any help.

Also, if enyone has any information on caprturing the audio and video from the card and streaming it real-time across my network that would be great. Cheers again.

Puggy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: