View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinlinux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: lyx looks poor Reply with quote

I am running in a gnome environment and have installed lyx along with qt but for whatever reason lyx looks very poor. Is there something else that needs to be done to get lyx to use the qt3 libraries? I have also seen elsewhere (ubuntu) mention of lyx-gtk is this debian specific?
sageman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: lyx looks poor Reply with quote

lostinlinux wrote:
I am running in a gnome environment and have installed lyx along with qt but for whatever reason lyx looks very poor. Is there something else that needs to be done to get lyx to use the qt3 libraries? I have also seen elsewhere (ubuntu) mention of lyx-gtk is this debian specific?

What do you mean, "looks very poor", specifically. Do the fonts look weird or something? Does it not just integrate well with the environment, aesthetically? Looks fine for me, although I just use fluxbox and don't care about "integration".

Not sure about lyx-gtk, but don't see it mentioned on the lyx website (quick browse).
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: lyx looks poor Reply with quote

lostinlinux wrote:

The default font does look pretty bad, but it otherwise looks o.k. (at least the GTK version). Here's a screenshot:
http://whistlin.com/~rsmith/lyx.png
My use flags:
Code:
X -cjk cups -debug -gnome gtk nls -qt3
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyx isn't supposed to be pretty; it's not WYSIWYG, it's WYMIWYG. What You Mean Is What You Get.
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MostAwesomeDude wrote:
Lyx isn't supposed to be pretty; it's not WYSIWYG, it's WYMIWYG. What You Mean Is What You Get.

I suppose you're joking, but anyway, if you change the default font, and adjust the "Zoom" under Tools->Preferences, it looks pretty decent.
sageman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
MostAwesomeDude wrote:

I suppose you're joking, but anyway, if you change the default font, and adjust the "Zoom" under Tools->Preferences, it looks pretty decent.

No, actually, he's not joking. That's the idea of LyX (and LaTeX, really, in general). The real key is if the PDF (or whatever) file you produce in the end looks clean, since that will look noticeably different from the document you are producing in LyX. To that end, it doesn't really matter how it looks in LyX.
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sageman wrote:
twstd3bc wrote:
MostAwesomeDude wrote:

No, actually, he's not joking. That's the idea of LyX (and LaTeX, really, in general). The real key is if the PDF (or whatever) file you produce in the end looks clean, since that will look noticeably different from the document you are producing in LyX. To that end, it doesn't really matter how it looks in LyX.

I don't think the original poster was complaining about the look of a markup language; he/she referred to QT3 and GTK, so I presume the problem is menu bars and icons, and maybe even fonts. Nevertheless, the LaTeX code I write using Vim looks pretty nice in my opinion, and every time I try Lyx, and can't figure out a way to make it useful (for myself). However, a friend swears to me that Lyx saved his life when he was writing his thesis. My upbringing is different though. My first year of using LaTeX was on a dumb terminal-- I used dvi2tty for previews and could only see the final result by getting a printout.
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
MostAwesomeDude wrote:

Not joking. I do my math homework in Lyx. The entire point is that the Postscript output is nice and pretty and customizable regardless of how it's typed in Lyx. Being able to type "headings," "titles," and "paragraphs" without worrying immediately about their appearance is the core goal behind LaTeX.
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MostAwesomeDude wrote:
twstd3bc wrote:
MostAwesomeDude wrote:

Not joking. I do my math homework in Lyx. The entire point is that the Postscript output is nice and pretty and customizable regardless of how it's typed in Lyx. Being able to type "headings," "titles," and "paragraphs" without worrying immediately about their appearance is the core goal behind LaTeX.

What type of math do you type, by the way? I type all my calculus lessons using straight LaTeX code in Vim, which I find very easy. I just can't see how using Lyx would speed it up. Do you use the GTK interface? I just tried it and it crashed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: