View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyman777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Sorry, but I love Gentoo :-) Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

just came back from the local micorbrewery, which makes it easier to tell you all guys that I love Gentoo and I mean that I love this community. :D

Never ever I have seen another forum that is so focused, so full of great information. Wonderfull. No flame wars, just pure information paired with enthousiasm.

Love it. At the moment three computers are sharing my internet connection to get their load of Gentoo. Even switched my parents from Redmond to Gentoo last week - and they like it, as it seems :D

Keep on posting, helping and _never_ forget to have a lot of fun - not just in front of this screen but anytime!

cyman from Vienna, Austria
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Wow. Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. Long live Gentoo!

BTW, nice work on converting your family away from the dark side. :-)
Stu_Hacking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well rather than start a new thread I'll add to this one

I'm currently using redhat9, but my Gentoo is in the post woohoo

I'm really looking forward to using it (although admittedly I'm quite worried about the installation)

still, it's a learning experience :D

gentoo with fluxbox - my dream setup :)

cyman777 - I haven't even converted my family from windows yet :-/
(i was gonna install redmond sometime and see if they notice the difference :D)
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Full speed ahead! Reply with quote

Stu_Hacking wrote:
I'm really looking forward to using it (although admittedly I'm quite worried about the installation)

Naw. Don't worry about that! The install docs are great and walk you through every step of the process. After that, there are many of us floating around these boards waiting to help out.

Good luck and easy Gentoo-ing!
jonaswhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Gentoo Beginnings Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as the previous guy.

Am installing gentoo over my borked debian install to explore brave new worlds.

My main is Redhat but the optimizations of gentoo seem like they're going to rock.
Using the Alternate Install using chroot from redhat to emerge everything from
scratch. stage 1 is done on a reiserfs and stage 2 is 22/70. :D

These forums also seem very decent.
BxBoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we love you too! :)
    beejay
    Retired Dev
    Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main reason why the gentoo-users are so euphoric is the point, that everybody can help. In some other projects you can only go into the forums and that's it. In Gentoo, you can learn a lot, improve the system for the community, write into the forums, write bug-reports or give a solution in form of a patch or an ebuild, translate documentation...- there are so many possibilities for people to help and this makes them happy :D
    CDLM
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Gentoo as well. If not for these forums and the knowledgeable people who populate it, I'd still be running Windows XP as my primary OS... I've yet to convert my mother over, but I'd like to. I just have to transfer her email to another windows machine while I am installing the operating system on her computer.

Thanks to all who have helped me (albeit indirectly through my browsing the forums), I'm learning quickly and hopefully will be able to help others on these forums (with a bit more learning).

- Dave -
    senectus
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already posted in a different thread about how impressed I am with this distro's community/web presance.. but one more addition.. I've never seen such a amicable (sp?) buch of people in a forum.

I've been reading heaps of threads and seen only one "spat" so far.. and that one ended quickly with the grumpy originator saying sorry and backing down.. amazing.. Its so rare to see this sort of an enviroment..

I'm getting really excited about installing for the first time this weekend.. :-) should be an enjoyable experiance for a change.. :-)
    dansehl
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: I agree !!! Reply with quote

I am surprised at the quick and polite responses on the Gentoo forums. I look forward to helping new users also!

Thanks!!

-Dan
    Woland
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O. K., easy there big guy. I love you too. No, no kisses. you're the one that's drunk, so keep your hands to yourself, buster.
    nsahoo
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: newly gentooed Reply with quote

I was long time user of redhat 9, last week i switched to Gentoo and don't see any reason to go back to redhat. the installation took time, kde took 16 hours, open office took around 6-7 hours (I was sleeping) , but, after all that .. its good. Mozilla is a lot faster than what it was on redhat. OpenOffice is a lot faster too. I missed bluecurve windows, but, soon found out that some one has worked it into gentoo portage. Then mosfet was already there. Fonts are better than what i used to get in redhat. So .. I don't see any reason for going back to redhat.

BTW, I destroyed my debian partition to install gentoo.
    <1,1,1,1,...>
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used redhat 7.3 and 8 and I had no probs with them, but I _definately_ did not learn as much as I have since running gentoo. My learning is on more of an exponential curve now, rather than some weak-ass logarithmic function.

Don't fear the install, just walk through the install guide and all will be well. I've installed thrice (heh heh, I said thrice) now and have never had a problem. And, if you do have a problem...... check the forums ! :)
    madchaz
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I come from windows and then mandrake

Mandrake was great to "take the plunge" but I soon hit a wall in what I could do.

gentoo is wonderfull because
    1: It's very customisable. Seince you have to build everything from scratch you only put in what you want. I love that.

2: the SUPPORT. I had problems when Mandrake 9 came out. Couldn't install at all. The install CD wouldn't even finish booting. It just froze. Not so much as a kernel panic. That's not even talking about geting vnc to work with kde. Here, I have a prob? search the forum. Can't find what I need, ask, get reply, discust problem and find solution. rince and start over as needed. plus people are friendly. Never so much as got someone looking at my bug ticket in mandrake.

3: zoooooooooooooooooom fast. I mean even with ALL the bells and whistles, and running via VNC, kde is instant responce. it's even fast over the internet.

4: incredible documentation. I hated to be told RTFM when I asked questions before. the FM isn't clear and doesn't cover my situation!!
    here, the doc is always crystal clear. and if it is missing what I need, I come here and either get a good link to an explanation or an explanation.

5: Did I mention the community? I'm a technical support technicial. I work in IT. giving service to my client is my job. I give high quality service and get happy custumors (well, most of the time, lol). I get the same quality of service from the community here. If I need help, I get it. People here are friendly, professional and helpfull. If the community can keep that kind of attitude, I see great things in the future for gentoo.
    wishkah
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*DoesTheGentooDance* Woogie woogie!

.... Ok... let's get back to business.

PS: I'm very impressed how spell-error-free you can write when you're drunk. Congrats, must have taken years and years of hard training :D
    Celtis
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BxBoy wrote:
    we love you too! :)

Get a room! :lol:

littleendian wrote:

PS: I'm very impressed how spell-error-free you can write when you're drunk. Congrats, must have taken years and years of hard training

Maybe (s)he's dyslexic sober thus improving their chances of speeling correctly while drunk... now there's a topic for scientific research :roll:
    nephros
    Advocate
    Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celtis wrote:

littleendian wrote:

PS: I'm very impressed how spell-error-free you can write when you're drunk. Congrats, must have taken years and years of hard training

Maybe (s)he's dyslexic sober thus improving their chances of speeling correctly while drunk... now there's a topic for scientific research :roll:

Conut me in! I vlountear!
    screwjack
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the love-fest continues...

I completed my first gentoo install this week and I'm in love as well. I've been using linux off and on for 5 years or so starting with LinuxPPC running off a SyQuest drive. Coming from the Mac world, I had absolutely no experience using command line, partitioning drives, etc. Getting linux running required research and getting your hands dirty and it gave me an incredible sense of accomplishment to see boot messages scrolling by where previously only a happy mac had been. It taught me a lot and really made me feel like I had tamed my hardware.

Since then I've done and assisted in dozens and dozens of installations on various hardware configurations and while I've been impressed with the evolution of the system installers for RH, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. I've never gotten the same sense of accomplishment that I had had after that first install. I've also regularly found myself underwhelmed by the dependency hell that one always ends up with using rpms or apt-get after the system was installed.

Portage is an absolutely fabulous package manager and for the first time in a long time I've gotten that rush of accomplishment now that everything is up and running. I've learned more about linux and it's inner configuration in the past week than I have in the previous 5 years combined and I couldn't be more pleased. Long live Gentoo!
    shagrat
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it only me who loves Microsoft and it's great product: Windows ME? :wink:
    Celtis
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shagrat wrote:
    Is it only me who loves Microsoft and it's great product: Windows ME? :wink:

I love ME too... without that P.O.S. I don't think I've have been able to convince the people at work to let me have Linux :lol:

EDIT: Woohoo! No longer a noob!!!
    shagrat
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with him
    |
    |
    \/

Last edited by shagrat on Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:44 am; edited 3 times in total
    dvink
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reading this thread I get the feeling that Gentoo is the new Woodstock festival. Rock on brothers and sister!

<-- Peace -->
    Aonoa
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never have I liked GNU/Linux so much, as when I started using Gentoo and being a part of this community. Both are quite nice. :)

Help eachother.
    tot
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: ungh Reply with quote

yep. i'm a total newb to linux, and chose gentoo to install on my recently-old box (since everyone i know tells me it's the best). i've encountered numerous problems all solvable spending a few minutes on these boards and have learned an awful lot since i began in June all thanks to you folk. This community rawks. Let's start a commune. spread the love. :P
    hulk2nd
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw i love gentoo, does anybody know if gentoo cd covers or cd labels exists? of course, i can make some on my own, but maybe there are already some out there ...
    Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: