Error messages on boot - Advice for absolute beginner
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MTUser2007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Error messages on boot - Advice for absolute beginner Reply with quote

I inherited the duty of taking care of a Gentoo server that has not been updated for a while ( problem for another day), and it also had a hardware failure. The ServeRAID controller went out and was replaced. In looking over the boot messages, I see a couple of errors.

The error message is roughly this: Mounting local filesystems, wrong FS type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/ sda1 missing code page or error.

I tried dmesg | less and paged through 600 lines to find what looks like a problem related to the raid controller or sda. The server runs 3 36GB SCSI drives in a RAID 5 configuration. Because I am just learning, I don't know how to get the characters on the screen into a file. Nor do I know how to mail the file to myself. I wanted to get that information so I could post it here.

I guess I don't understand how there can be a problem with mounting the drive, yet all the functionality of the server appears to work fine.

I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Also, I have asked few other questions so far that have been solved (I am VERY grateful for the wonderful help that I received. I know that I am not very smart, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to modify my posts to say [SOLVED]. If I could get some help for that too, I go and fix all my other posts.

Thank you.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only issue in your list that I can help you with, is how to mark a topic SOLVED. You simply edit your first post in the thread (all your posts will have an Edit button) and change the subject line. :D
cjubon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to Gentoo!

And here the issue on your list I can help with:
In order to get certain messages on your screen into a file, you can do something like:
Code:
# dmesg | grep mount > file.txt
This will save all those messages (lines) outputted by dmesg which contain the string "mount" into file "file.txt".

I guess it would be helpful to post not only the relevant parts of dmesg, but also the content of /etc/fstab.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: