Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to eliminate blocking artifacts in x264?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: How to eliminate blocking artifacts in x264? Reply with quote

The question in the title pretty much says it all. I have a few (most) videos that get horribly blocky for some unkown reason, I've tried increasing the bitrate substantially. I've tried lowering resolution. I've tried playing with BPP. I've tried using mencoders deblocking plugin. I've tried using x264's inloop deblocking filter. None of it seems to help.

I just dont get it, the source material is in good shape, and is not at all blocky, but for some reason no matter what I do the encode material is horribly blocky.

The only thing that seems to help is mplayers -vf noise plugin. If I add noise during playback it seems to "cover up" the blocks, but they are still there. You can still see them, it's just that the noise plugin kinda breaks them up. It does help, and makes the whole picture look much better....

The problem is that since the source is not at all blocky I was wondering why the encoded material is blocky? And is there any way to eliminate it from the encoded material. mplayer is the only player that can play it back at a decent quality, and that is only due to adding noise through the noise filter. I dont consider that to be a good solution, and would like to solve the problem at it's root.

Anybody have any idea's what the problem might be, and how I might go about fixing it?
pteppic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see the encoder command you are using please?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: