Unable to install modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Someone316
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Unable to install modules Reply with quote

I can't for the life of me install modules under Gentoo. I'm well aware in order
for modules to be installed one must type echo "module_name" >> /etc/module.autoload . I've tried loading several modules, but failed trying. In order to solve all of my problems, I've decided to install all modules as part of the kernel 8O . Now it's time for me to install my nvidia module and it's not loading. I've tried the command modprobe nvidia , but this is the error I get: insmod failed and I'm trying load a module without GPL compatible license. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to install modules Reply with quote

Someone316 wrote:
I can't for the life of me install modules under Gentoo. I'm well aware in order
for modules to be installed one must type echo "module_name" >> /etc/module.autoload . I've tried loading several modules, but failed trying. In order to solve all of my problems, I've decided to install all modules as part of the kernel 8O . Now it's time for me to install my nvidia module and it's not loading. I've tried the command modprobe nvidia , but this is the error I get: insmod failed and I'm trying load a module without GPL compatible license. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Verify that your /usr/src/linux/ symlink points to the current kernel. If it doesn't, make it do so and then re-emerge nvidia-kernel.

Puggy
MJN222
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you'll need to have module support enabled in the kernel. I'm pretty sure you do, but it never hurts to double check it :)
Someone316
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:?: Am I missing something here, it seems like there might be 2 kernels. I see one under /usr/src/linux which points to the kernel within that directory. I see another kernel in this directory /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5. :?: Is this the location on where my custom compiled kernel would be?
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone316 wrote:
:?: Am I missing something here, it seems like there might be 2 kernels. I see one under /usr/src/linux which points to the kernel within that directory. I see another kernel in this directory /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5. :?: Is this the location on where my custom compiled kernel would be?

When you compile a kernel you must be in the /usr/src/linux directory (For newbie purposes) which isn't a real directory, but a symlink to your actual kernel directory which will also be in /usr/src/ something like this...
Code:
puggy@legolas puggy $ ls -all /usr/src/
total 5
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root          240 Jun 29 12:58 .
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root          472 Jun 28 02:03 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun 28 02:03 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jun 29 12:58 linux -> linux-2.4.21-ac4/
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root          536 Jun 28 03:03 linux-2.4.21-ac3
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root          760 Jun 30 17:21 linux-2.4.21-ac4
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root          760 Jun 25 17:08 linux-2.4.21-rc1-ac2
drwxr-xr-x   13 root     root          536 May  7 03:14 linux-2.4.21-rc1-ac4

As you can seem I'm currently using linux-2.4.21-ac4. When you compile a kernel in that directory it ends up as /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage and the modules are installed into /lib/modules/2.4.21-ac4/ (In my case).

Puggy
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously didn't read the installation manual carefully enough...
As the name suggests, /lib/modules/kernel-version contains the modules for the given kernel. The kernel itself (bzImage) should reside in /boot, be that a partition or a directory on the root filesystem.

Also, the /usr/src/linux-symlink should not point to the kernel itself, but to the location of the kernel sources from which the current kernel is compiled. In your case, like this:
Code:
linux -> linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5

- Simon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: