View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Network card problems installing Gentoo 2007 on HP Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm having some serious issues while trying to set up networking with the Gentoo 2007 x86 minimal live cd on my dv6500 se HP laptop.

Here's what happens: When I connect the ethernet cable's plug, the "socket" shows that it has connection by turning a green led light on. When the minimal live-cd finishes booting, this light just turns off suddenly as if something in the kernel has deactivated the network card.

However, strangely enough, when I take a look at ifconfig's output, eth0 is there. I then tried setting it up with net-setup and using DHCP to get the IP (as I do with all the other machines in my LAN), but DHCP just hangs.

If I try static IP addressing, I still can't reach any of other IPs on the LAN. It really seems that the network card doesn't function while the live cd is in memory.

The notebook is a HP dv6500 Special Edition, Core 2 Duo 1.50Ghz T5250, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM. It is Centrino-certified.

The wired network card is a Realtek RTL8101 PCI-Express Fast Ethernet.
The wireless network card is an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945

I really need some help figuring out what happens and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Marcelo.

Last edited by FFighter on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

Welcome to gentoo

You need a newer kernel that the kernel provided on the Gentoo liveCD for either of those network interfaces.
You can install Gentoo with any liveCD that supports your hardware by following the handbook with the additional steps for Knoppix here

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As NeddySeagoon mentioned, you will need to use a different live CD to install Gentoo. My recommendation would be the SystemRescueCD. If you need any help installing from the different installation medium, please don't hesitate to ask.
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you NeddySeagoon for the reply and the warm welcome!

Quote:
As NeddySeagoon mentioned, you will need to use a different live CD to install Gentoo. My recommendation would be the SystemRescueCD. If you need any help installing from the different installation medium, please don't hesitate to ask.

That`s great news! I was about to download the Knoppix ISO and was searching for ways to boot the image without writting it to a CD medium since I don't have any here and there's no store open right now where I could buy one. However, I do have a SystemRescue mini-cd burned !

I think the tutorial NeddySeagoon recommended would also do in the case of the SystemRescueCD, right?

Another thing is: After I finish Gentoo's first installation steps (I mean, when I'm ready to boot into the system), how do I make sure that my card will also work?

EDIT: My SystemRescueCD image is x86 and I've heard that the Core 2 Duo line of processor are 64bits, so here comes a big doubt: Do you think I should use Gentoo 64 ? If so, which installation handbook should I follow? Also, I would need to dowload the SystemRescueCD 64bit image in order to install it?

Does installing the 64bit kernel really worth it? Or x86 on C2D is fine?

Thanks!

Marcelo.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

I would use the 64 bit install. There are a few challenges on a 64 bit system, like flash but why buy a 64 bit CPU then only use the bottom 32 bits. That would be like buying a Ferrari to only drive to the shops.

You must have a 64 bit install CD to do a 64 bit install as you cannot run 64 bit applications on a 32 bit kernel. The reverse is not true.
The default 64 bit Gentoo install provides multilib support so 32 bit software can be run too.

The extra Knoppix steps apply to any non Gentoo LiveCD, its just the Guide was written using Knoppix as the example.
You would need the amd64 stage 3

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeddySeagoon, thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help!

Quote:
I would use the 64 bit install. There are a few challenges on a 64 bit system, like flash but why buy a 64 bit CPU then only use the bottom 32 bits. That would be like buying a Ferrari to only drive to the shops.

That makes lots of sense :), you conviced me.

Quote:
You must have a 64 bit install CD to do a 64 bit install as you cannot run 64 bit applications on a 32 bit kernel. The reverse is not true.
The default 64 bit Gentoo install provides multilib support so 32 bit software can be run too.

Hmm, I couldn't find a Knoppix 64bit live cd. Am I looking in the wrong place? -> http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/knoppix/

Thanks.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 64bit support on the SystemRescueCD. You have to use rescue64. For more information, see the fourth heading down ( 0.4.0) 2007-10-04: ) on the changelog. If you don't want to do that, though, you can use any 64bit live environment (such as Fedora) and install from there. :)
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is 64bit support on the SystemRescueCD. You have to use rescue64. For more information, see the fourth heading down ( 0.4.0) 2007-10-04: ) on the changelog. If you don't want to do that, though, you can use any 64bit live environment (such as Fedora) and install from there.

Thanks a lot for mentioning this, kalos. It worked perfectly, however, I haven't started installing Gentoo yet, let me tell you why...

Notebooks are kind of similar to consoles in an aspect - the different models have some particularities (desktops rarely do, unless you buy a Mac or Alienware I guess).

The first thing that annoyed me in the dv6500se was the "turn lap on" behaviour of the QuickPlay buttons. For those of you who don't know, the QuickPlay were a "great" invention from HP to allow quick playing of media by using a stripped-down OS. However, this doesn't come configured as expected in the dv6500se (the stripped-down OS is no there, so QuickPlay just boots Vista which is a huge bloated beast).

The worst thing though is that when the lap is turned off, the minor touch in the quickplay buttons might turn it on again. And I didn't find any way to disable it yet - even tried contacting HP technical support, here's the log from the conversation:

Quote:
Rene: Could you let me know that have you installed any new software or applications or any new drivers
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: no I haven't
Rene: Just for the Information did you Install Linux in the Notebook?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: not yet
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: it is still running Vista
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: and still has the recovery partition
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I want to solve this issue before going ahead and install gentoo
Rene: Thank you for the information.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: np
Rene: I am afrid to say that when you Install any other software the Quick lauch buttons will be not working.
Rene: The drivers will nnot support the OS.
Rene: It is better not to Install any other Os and Hp will not recommand to do so.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: well, I'm not sure if you understood my question, Rene. What I want to do **is** disable the QuickPlay buttons, so that the notebook **will not** turn on when I touch them!
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: independently on the OS being ran
Rene: Sure, I'll help you with this.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I might as well keep Vista, but I don't want this "touch quickplay turn computer on" behaviour
Rene: Please uninstall the drivers from programs and features and the quick launch buttons will not work.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: ok... this will also disable the "touch quickplay turn computer on" thingy?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: let me give you an example: I turn the notebook OFF, then when I try to put the keyboard protector that came with the laptop, the notebook turns on again. Why? Becouse, the thing went in contact with the quickplay buttons
Rene: Yes.
Rene: They will not work as the buttons are disabled.
Rene: Marcelo, Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: Yes, please, just explain to me in more technical level - what does Vista drivers have to do with BIOS-level functionality? I don't see how vista drivers could change pre-OS behaviour...
Rene: Yes, you are right, BIOS is not related to Operating System, however, the device drivers for the Notebook are only tested with Preinstalled Vista Operating System.
Rene: If you install any third party O.S, then some of the drivers may not be compatible, the reason for the same is, HP Notebook has different Hardware manufacturers for Audio, Video, Wireless etc.,
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: Confirm something to me
Rene: And the manufacturers do not have tested information on any other Operating System other then Preinstalled one.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: when the notebook is off
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: and if you touch the quickplay buttons (any of them)
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: it will turn on, right?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: Rene?
Rene: Yes, it is normal feature that, when you touch QuickPlay even though the Notebook is switched off, you can still boot into Notebook using QuickPlay to play music.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: ok, so, how can I disable this so that when I touch the QuickPlay the notebook wont turn on?
Rene: Uninstalling the QuickPlay application from "Programs and Features" will help you in disabling the option.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: ok Rene
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: thank you for your help
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I will do this
Rene: You can uninstall a program by, Start-->Control Panel.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: yes
Rene: Programs and Features in Vista.
Rene: Great.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I just wasnt sure
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: if it would disable this turning on behaviour
Rene: Marcelo, I hope I had answered what you are referring to.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: since it comes pre-OS
Rene: Yes, you are right, Marcelo.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: anyway
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: thanks
Rene: You are welcome.
Rene: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Depressing... uh? Anyways, I will keep researching until the end of the week. I want to solve this quickplay issue before installing Gentoo becouse this might come as a BIOS update, and BIOS updates are generally done via Windows (Windows executables) and I don't know if HP's website checks for something in the system to validate the download using some evil IE activex, so, this time, it will be easier through Vista, even though I can't stand it anymore... (never could).

Thanks for all your help,

Marcelo.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that lack of support is unreal. Laptops and I don't get along all that well, because of quirks just like the one you're experiencing. There MUST be a way to disable that so-called "feature," and hopefully you can figure it out. I've never seen a laptop that will turn on when the QuickPlay buttons are pressed. Are you sure the laptop isn't just sleeping or hibernating; it is actually powered off? I'm sorry if that's a stupid question; I'm just baffled at the possibility that the QuickPlay buttons could actually turn on the laptop.
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. The support is awful. I tried to be polite with this guy but it is a difficult thing to do. They act like robots: "Rene: Sure, I'll help you with this. " Oh yes, you will.

Anyways, I posted something in the notebookforums.com: http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?p=2864767#post2864767

Hope someone there gives me some light regarding this issue.

Quote:
Are you sure the laptop isn't just sleeping or hibernating; it is actually powered off?

Yes it is actually powered off. :/

Thanks,

Marcelo.

Last edited by FFighter on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another failed attempt...

Quote:

MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: ok, before doing it though, I have a question -> Will this disable the feature that turns the computer on when I touch the buttons?
Rory: Yes,you are correct.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: how? Will it write something to the BIOS?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: CMOS
Rory: It will disable all the Quick launch buttons and its features.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: the disable button is disabled
Rory: The drivers will be deleted.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: my doubts is: How does Vista drivers relate to pre-OS behaviour - becouse when I touch the buttons when the computer is off, clearly Vista is not loaded yet!
Rory: Yes,let me expalin you.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: ok
Rory: The main feature of the Quicklaunch in vista is to play the songs or any multimidia with out the restart.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: hmm, I don't think I undersand
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: WHEN THE COMPUTER IS OFF, IF YOU PRESS THE QUICKPLAY BUTTONS, WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: sorry for the caps
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: so?
Rory: I am sorry,it directly power On and boots in to OS and opens the Quicklaunch to play the multimedia.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: yes, I WANT TO DISABLE THIS "FEATURE"
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: becouse even some dust on the buttons is causing the computer to turn on!
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: since they are very sensible
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I didn;t find anything in the BIOS
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: maybe there is a BIOS update that adds something to disable this thing from turning on the system?
Rory: Could you let me know whether you have disabled the drivers in the Device manager?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I've unistalled them
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: the disable button was disabled
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: there's only USB there now in the human interface devices
Rory: Then you have disabled the drivers and the Quicklaunch will be disabled.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: so, the computer will not turn on when I press them?
Rory: Yes,you are correct.
Rory: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: one more (last) thing
Rory: Sure,Please go ahead.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: how is it disabled if the turn on thing is a feature that doesn't depend on Vista (Vista and its drivers arent loaded when I press the quicklaunch button and the laptop turns on)
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I just dont understand how unistalling a vista driver for a device can disable it outside the OS realm
Rory: I will explain you.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: please Rory, I have many years of computer experience and I've never seen anything like this. This defies my knowledge of computer architecutre
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: unless there's some hidden "magic" behind this
Rory: As this notebook has HP quickplay this program will be loaded automatically and before this notebook is booted into vista automatically, because this quickplay is not installed in seperate parition of hard drive.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: hmmm... so, you are saying that the quickplay "device" reads the driver from teh Vista partition even before Vista is loaded?
Rory: In this vista notebook quickplay is installed within vista so the notebook is booted in to vista first and then quickplay.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: but before vista is booted - I don't want the computer to be turned on when I press the quickplay buttons
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: do you understand?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: this is actually the only thing I want disabled
Rory: I understand your concern.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: thanks god
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: I don't care about the Vista drivers or QuickPlay functionality in Vista even becouse I will wipe out Vista from my hard drive and install Gentoo as soon as I solve this problem - disabling this "turn computer on when you touch quickplay buttons" "feature" of this laptop
Rory: If we disable the drivers of the Quicklauch the feature will be disabled and the Quicklauch buttons will not work if they do not have the drivers.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: do you also understand this?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: but Rory, the drivers are Vista drivers, how do they relate to BIOS functionality - when I touch the buttons when the computer is turned OFF, VISTA IS NOT LOADED, so, how uninstalling the drivers will disable "feature" of turning the computer on with quickplay??
Rory: This has worked for many of them let us try and let me know results.
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: ok
Rory: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
MARCELO DE MORAES SERPA: no

Almost 2 hours chatting with him.
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've given up on trying to disable this thing.

On to installing Gentoo!

Guys, I wonder if you could help me on the partition scheme and space distribution for the partitions, since this laptop has 250GB, it is difficult to decide where how much each partition will get.

The Gentoo installation handbook (amd64) suggests the following:

* boot (32MB)
* swap (512MB)
* root (the rest of the space).

For swap I think I will use 4GB (following the swap = 2xRAM formula).

However, I find that this schema is not too optimal. Almost 250GB to the root partition? Hmmm...

Maybe creating a home partition and put the rest of the space there? Do you think I should also create different partition for music and movies? How much space for root ? Do you lso think I should let some unnalocated space?

Also, for root and home I'm thinking about using raiserfs filesystem. What do you think?

Thanks for helping!

Marcelo.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

I would use
/boot 32 Mb ext2
swap 512 Mb Something is broken if you need more than that
/home 180G ext3 makes reinstalling easy so your data and user settings survive
<extended> Rest of drive
/ ext3 inside extended partition (thats about 70G)

You can break out /tmp /var and /usr is you want but how mucg to allocate where depends on the exact use the machine will see.
So, create the extended partition now or you will not have the primary partition table entries to do it later but for this install, use it all as root.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the reply, NeddySeagoon.

Quote:
So, create the extended partition now or you will not have the primary partition table entries to do it later but for this install, use it all as root.

Hmm.. could you elaborate on this? You mean that I need to create the partition now otherwise I won't be able to create it later? Also, this extended ext3 partition will be the root (/) partition?

Thanks.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the extended ext3 will be the root partition. :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

The partition table was a dirty hack introduced when hard drives reached the 32 Mb that DOS could address in a single partition.
Some spare space at the end of the MBR was pressed into use as the partition table. It can hold at most 4 entries. Today these entries are called Primary partitions.

Later, when hard drives reached 128Mb, the partition table hack was extended by adding the concept of the extended partition.
Thats how we got to where we are today.

If you define 4 primary partitions now, you cannot add an extended partition later unless you delete one of the existing partitions to free a primary partition table entry for the extended partition.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

I'm curious:

Did you actually try and do what the tech support guys said to do rather than questioning them?

Lets say I make a laptop. And I pre-install Windows on it but I also pre-install a driver that functions to cause the computer to go into a sleep state whenever the user tells it to shut down. So then that user presses a key and suddenly windows comes up.

In fact, on a computer I got cheap at compusa (going out of business sale), if I press the power button while running VISTA it doesn't shut off but instead goes to "sleep."

And if it is a bios function that needs disabling... many BIOS manufacturers now have some access to tweaking the BIOS from windows anyway so maybe the tech guy was right in that case too. But otherwise, it would be as simple as disabling the feature in the bios.
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NeddySeagoon,kalos: Thanks for the explanation! One last thing: Could I use raiserfs on this partition? What would be the benefits? (I've heard raiserfs is the last and greatest thing in what comes to filesystems in Linux).

@slycordinator: Yes, I did do what he told me to do. The result was the "QuickPlay" buttons disabled on Vista. However, the "computer off-you-touch-the quickplay-buttons-it-turns on" thing is still up and working. Anyways, I've discovered that it is a common behavior, maybe I'm just over-stressing about it. The laptop is great, but could be better if a BIOS option existed to disable this thing.

About the BIOS tweak through Windows, I've never heard or saw anything similar. Could you elaborate on that?

Thanks.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

You can use riesersf (version 3.6) for root if you wish. Whats in its favour?
rieser provides 'tail packaing' which reduces the wasted space at the end of a file, so it makes better use of disk space than some other filesystems. It comes with a health warning ... its recovery tools are not as well developed as are the tools for ext.

Speedwise, ext3 and rieser are very close as long as you do not the default options for ext3.

Gentoo is about choice, I choose ext3 for root. I do a few other odd things too, like ext2 for /tmp as /tmp is always expendable. Other users make a partition for /usr/portage and make that rieserfs to take advantage of the tail packing.
Its also expendable, since it can be replaced by downloading.

Providing, you make your extended partition now, you can try out all of these things and many more, without reinstalling.
You shrink your /dev/sda5 (which will be your root) and make some more partitions to play with.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter wrote:
About the BIOS tweak through Windows, I've never heard or saw anything similar. Could you elaborate on that?

Some BIOS manufacturers make a windows executable that lets you edit BIOS related stuff inside windows rather than looking through the actual BIOS. Though you'd still have to reboot to see the difference.
FFighter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
<extended> Rest of drive
/ ext3 inside extended partition (thats about 70G)

I've created the extended partition. After writing the changes to the disk (w command), I quit fdisk and tried creating the ext3 filesystem in the extended partition:

# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda4

The utility exits saying the following:
"inode_size (128) * inodes_count(0) too big for a filesystem with 0 blocks, specify inode_ration (-i) or lower inode count (-N)."

I then though that it could the fact that I didn't create any partition inside this extended partition :P. So, I went back to fdisk, and created the new partition. fdisk automatically suggested the start sector as the start sector of the ext. partition and the end sector to the end sector of the ext. partition. I just accepted that. It then created /dev/sda5 of System = "Linux".

I quit fdisk again and tried to create the ext3 filesystem in /dev/sda5:

# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5

But got a error:

"Could not stat /dev/sda5 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exists; did you specify it correctly?"

Hmmm... does not exists? But fdisk ecorrectly lists it and I did write it to the partition table (w command in fdisk).

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT.: I've tried running fdisk and writing the partition table again and noted something wrong, here's the message:

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy.

The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot"

I will reboot and probably everything will be ok. However, I'd like to know, why this error happens?

Thanks,

Marcelo.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFighter,

My explaination was not complete. Sorry for that.

The extended partition is a container for logical partitions. You cannot use it itself and it takes up no space. Its a software trick to work round the real partition table limit.

Go back to fdisk and ask to create a logical partition. This is how you you make partitions inside the extended parttion.
You must make at least one logical partition before you can actually use the space inside the extended partition.

Regardless of how your primary partition entries are used, logical partitions are always numbered from 5, thus /dev/sda5 is always the first logical partiton.
Code:
$ sudo /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 300.0 GB, 300090728448 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36483 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa5323f67

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1           5       40131   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2               6         130     1004062+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4             131       36483   292005472+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5             131         739     4891761   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda6             740        4387    29302528+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda7            4388        4631     1959898+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda8            4632        5361     5863693+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda9            5362        7307    15631213+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda10           7308       36483   234356188+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
Look at the starts and ends and notice how the extended partition uses the same disk space as partitions 5..10

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Rhiakath
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn i was hoping to find some solution here for a common problem. i too have a dv6000 laptop, and it boots also as i just lightly touch the quickplay keys.... (no windows here)

also, i've been unable to have the wireless card working so far.... getting a bit tired.... any ideas, neddyseagoon ?
[ Applications found : 0 ]

-------------------------------------------

I see dead pixels...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhiakath,

What wireless card chipset ?
lspci or lsusb will show it. Many laptops have USB wireless chpsets now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Rhiakath
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an intel 4965. It shows as an unknown device
[ Applications found : 0 ]

-------------------------------------------

I see dead pixels...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: