Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GMN needs your help: Forum summary
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: GMN needs your help: Forum summary Reply with quote

As you all read in the old weekly and now monthly newsletter, there is a category "Heard in the community" which contains mostly a summary of interesting postings to Planet Gentoo. But the community does not only exist of developers posting there, but also the users contributing a lot of interesting stuff to other channels, like forums.g.o.
So GMN needs your help to gather data from the fora. Cry "here" if you are interested, build a team and coordinate yourself. A possible mode of operation would be to have a manager who collects interesting threads gathered by a whole team (as there is so much going on here) and then submits it to the GMN writers. Take the summary for the Planet as inspiration, how it might look like.

Interesting threads would be: a) nice HOWTOs, b) important news from Gentooland, c) some important surveys, d) whatelse you think is important.
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'here' :roll:
would be good to know the article submission date(s) for the next GWM(s) - will it be start/mid/end of month?

Best way to organize this might be to provide is one thread/month for the ideas collection from the userbase and write a summary out of that and deliver it to the GWM team.
Quality/quantity for this summary of course depends on the input we get.
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was asking for summaries...or at least hoped I did. :)

Publication date is the third monday of a month, latest submission is the friday before. Better be some days early so proof-reading can be done. Proof-readers are welcome, too.
vdodge1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: GMN needs your help: Forum summary Reply with quote

Here :) ,

I'd be interested in helping to collect info, proof read, write summaries etc...
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GMN needs your help: Forum summary Reply with quote

vdodge1 wrote:
Here :) ,

I'd be interested in helping to collect info, proof read, write summaries etc...

Contact gmn-feedback@gentoo.org or gmn-writers@gentoo.org. Is there already a group of people silently coordinating it?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help proof-read, not sure about writing to mail alias though; at start sounded like it would be done on the Forums? I'd prefer to work here informally (if my input would be useful.) Would be more than glad to help with some bash stuff, especially if it's scripts users want to get done and have started work on, but got stuck or hit a wall and thrown hands up in despair since working alone (been there, done that, sold the f'ing t-shirt as it was crap;) If someone's started work on something, it means they care enough to make it worth encouraging them imo, and other users hopefully would learn something too; worst case we get some more helper scripts done (or zero interest, but Gentoo users love to tinker, by definition ;).
Just an idea, if it's crap, happy to help just proof-read (not very good at articles, but not bad at checking grammar and spelling.)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean collaboration via the forums has been ruled out?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that as a yes, and withdraw; thanks for showing us the Gentoo way in action.
Treggats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to proof read also :)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wrote most of the GWN at least 3 years ago every piece i wrote from the forums was always immediately either thrown out or ridiculed, why should it be any different now?
Treggats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
When I wrote most of the GWN at least 3 years ago every piece i wrote from the forums was always immediately either thrown out or ridiculed, why should it be any different now?

perhaps because they figured out that they should listen to the community?
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treggats wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

perhaps because they figured out that they should listen to the community?
heh, and it's changed why? :lol:
Treggats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the Netherlands we have a saying: Wisdom comes with the years
I'm not sure if it's english originally but who cares :P
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

Oh please, you never wrote that much. You contributed bits to a whole 6 issues. Go check CVS. CVS is forever.

Moving on:

It's interesting to note that there's this whole sticky thread on users contributing to the GMN, but there hasn't been much reaction from:
1. Forum folks on whether or not they actually want forum summaries
2. The GMN staff (Anant and myself) on whether we want to feature forums summaries, because . . .

no one's bothered talking to us about it. This thread was started by opfer, a Gentoo developer who regularly contributes Planet summaries. He hasn't brought up the idea on forums summaries to the GMN staff, either. It's possible he's getting reactions here first before mentioning it to the GMN team; I don't really know. Personally, I'm not sold (yet) on the idea of forum summaries, since the forums are laden with more drama than the Gentoo mailing lists these days. I've no interest in publishing drama or pointlessly polarizing posts.

Regardless, no one's actually sending anything in. We have two regular contributors, opfer (who does most of the Planet summaries) and Ma3oxuct, a community member who sends in the Tips'n'Tricks. If it wasn't for these guys, we wouldn't have Planet or Tips sections at all.

We get occasional articles or links or interviews randomly sent in every now and then, but not much. If you want to contribute to the GMN, just do it. Spend less time in this forum thread and more time actually helping the GMN's existence. If you want content to read each month, you gotta submit it.*

* Preferably in decent English, and not just a hyperlink to something you saw on the web. Links are all well and good -- we'll take 'em! -- but it requires a lot of work from the staff to create an article from just a link. It's much better if you've already written something about that link/news item/etc. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Oh please, you never wrote that much. You contributed bits to a whole 6 issues. Go check CVS. CVS is forever.

Moving on:

Er before we do, many of us users rate cokehabit. If his contributions were ridiculed, and you certainly seem to be denigrating them, it doesn't give me for one much hope about the dev attitude. Still let's move on, as you said, and see what happens in the future.
Quote:
It's interesting to note that there's this whole sticky thread on users contributing to the GMN, but there hasn't been much reaction from:
2. The GMN staff (Anant and myself) on whether we want to feature forums summaries, because . . .

no one's bothered talking to us about it. This thread was started by opfer, a Gentoo developer who regularly contributes Planet summaries. He hasn't brought up the idea on forums summaries to the GMN staff, either. It's possible he's getting reactions here first before mentioning it to the GMN team; I don't really know.

So it's the devs not coordinating. OK.
wrt the forum staff I think they'd have spoken up if they were against the idea. It is a sticky, after all.
Quote:
Personally, I'm not sold (yet) on the idea of forum summaries, since the forums are laden with more drama than the Gentoo mailing lists these days. I've no interest in publishing drama or pointlessly polarizing posts.

It's a lot less than it used to be and the drama on here was always about the drama on the m-l, specifically is our beloved Gentoo in trouble? The rest of the time we just get on and help each other.
Quote:
Regardless, no one's actually sending anything in.

Possibly because you devs are messing up the coordination; we see a thread on here asking for help, we respond and we get blanked.
Quote:
We have two regular contributors, opfer (who does most of the Planet summaries) and Ma3oxuct, a community member who sends in the Tips'n'Tricks. If it wasn't for these guys, we wouldn't have Planet or Tips sections at all.

We get occasional articles or links or interviews randomly sent in every now and then, but not much. If you want to contribute to the GMN, just do it. Spend less time in this forum thread and more time actually helping the GMN's existence. If you want content to read each month, you gotta submit it.*

You're missing the point; we like collaborating on the forums with each other, because we support each other. I realise the devs don't do that collectively, but that's your loss not ours.
Quote:
Preferably in decent English, and not just a hyperlink to something you saw on the web. Links are all well and good -- we'll take 'em! -- but it requires a lot of work from the staff to create an article from just a link. It's much better if you've already written something about that link/news item/etc. :)

Yeah well some of users can help with that work; aka proof-reading and editing, which works much better when you can collaborate with each other to improve the article before it gets published.
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Moving on:

Er before we do, many of us users rate cokehabit. If his contributions were ridiculed, and you certainly seem to be denigrating them, it doesn't give me for one much hope about the dev attitude. Still let's move on, as you said, and see what happens in the future.
Quote:

Ok, just because a bunch of users rate someone doesn't say anything for his contributions. If every user rated someone that did pretty much nothing, that certainly doesn't mean he did do a bunch. I guess what I'm saying boils down to the fact that users rating another user doesn't say anything about the quality or number of contributions that user makes.

--The Prisoner
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Why thankyou for the vote of confidence. Note that I said lots was thrown out and/or ridiculed beause some was to do with the forums. I wrote loads and the reason why I stopped was because I was writing great articles that took me days that was being ignored for worthless points just beause it was from some other source. How would you feel if you put all that effort in for it to be ignored?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoofan23 wrote:
Ok, just because a bunch of users rate someone doesn't say anything for his contributions. If every user rated someone that did pretty much nothing, that certainly doesn't mean he did do a bunch. I guess what I'm saying boils down to the fact that users rating another user doesn't say anything about the quality or number of contributions that user makes.

That's your opinion. I have a different one, which is that he must have contributed in other ways than say ebuild development or forum moderation, stuff that perhaps isn't recognised as a contribution by some devs, but certainly is by other users.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
How would you feel if you put all that effort in for it to be ignored?

That's an additional reason why I'd prefer to collaborate transparently; if Gentoo doesn't use it, other users can still access it if it's on the forums.

Note that this doesn't obviate the need for collaboration with other users, which is best done on the forums or IRC, it's just an extra reason to present work here for peer review. I'm sure there are people who've had stuff ignored who give up, and don't post it here, because they're disheartened by the experience.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

And with THIS kind of attitude from developers, dev's wonder why they don't get user input when they ask for it from the "community" :roll: :roll: :roll:
So cokehabit wrote only 6 (how many have you wrote) BUT the point is, as he stated
Quote:
always immediately either thrown out or ridiculed
so please tell me with your infinite wisdom why he should have continued to 7, 10, 100, 1000 with the obviously hostile reception he had received?

its easy to criticise, less so to create
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Reason: Wow. Just wow. Some of the most outlandish trolling I've ever seen.

Er WTF?!
Quote:
I'm not interested in replying to this perpetually troublesome user.

What? I've only ever had one or two issues on these forums, with poisonous users.
Quote:
I would like the mods to note his blatant trolling of my request for help to the community.

It wasn't your request, you just said opfer posted this without telling you. I responded to it way before you got involved. Further I didn't see much requesting from you for help. You spent longer on complaining about users being overly dramatic, too lazy to email you anything (which is why I responded about some of us wanting to collaborate on the forums, as I had before your unwelcome interjection) and denigrating a user's contributions on the grounds that not much of his stuff made it past you lot and into CVS.
Quote:
Somehow he manages to turn that into an attack on the Gentoo developers.

FFS, you're the one who was whinging about opfer, not me. It's not our fault he didn't coordinate with you, or that you cba to contribute to this thread before now.
Quote:
The only thing worse than a troll is an off-topic troll.

"Pot meet kettle." I wasn't off-topic, sir, you were. I simply responded explaining my point of view as someone who had offered to help out, as requested, months ago. You were the one who insulted all your users for being overly dramatic, which had nothing to do with the topic, when it is blatantly clear that all the drama on the Forums has been about ructions in the developer community.
Quote:
His response has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted;

Nonsense. I posted in response to your points. The fact that you don't like the unpalatable truth about "the drama" doesn't stop it being the truth.
Quote:
he's interested only in stirring the pot and raising as much ruckus as he can.

How dare you? There are plenty of other users complaining of similar things, and I only answered points you were making. There always have been afaict. Gentoo devs promised they were going to change things. Thanks for showing how you at least have no intention of doing so.
Quote:
It's neither beneficial nor on-topic to the thread, so I'd appreciate it if the forums staff would keep an eye on where it goes from here. Thanks!

Me too, as all the topics were things you raised, nor was it your request for help.

I have never been so disgusted at a developer's post on this forum. It was underhand, and full of both malice and falsehood.

Furthermore, I'd just like to say I find your racist signature deeply offensive.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unstuck and locked, topic has ventured far afield and had its point lost amongst flames.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: