recompiling kernel with isofs filesystem support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naveennaveen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: recompiling kernel with isofs filesystem support Reply with quote

Hi ,

How do i recompile the kernel with isofs filesystem support. I tried 'make menuconfig' but in the set of file system options, there was none to enable isofs filesystem.

In the '/usr/src/...../fs' i found an isofs folder, so i believe it is possible to include the support for isofs filesystem

Thanks

Naveen
devon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you want?
Code:
File systems  --->
<*> ISO 9660 CDROM file system support

Code:
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS:

This is the standard file system used on CD-ROMs.  It was previously
known as "High Sierra File System" and is called "hsfs" on other
Unix systems.  The so-called Rock-Ridge extensions which allow for
long Unix filenames and symbolic links are also supported by this
driver.  If you have a CD-ROM drive and want to do more with it than
just listen to audio CDs and watch its LEDs, say Y (and read
Documentation/filesystems/isofs.txt and the CD-ROM-HOWTO,
available from <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>), thereby
enlarging your kernel by about 27 KB; otherwise say N.

If you want to compile this as a module ( = code which can be
inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want),
say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.  The module
will be called isofs.o.
naveennaveen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: iso9660 and isofs Reply with quote

I had some problem copying the '.dat' file from vcd to hard disk. I had mounted the cd using the 'iso9660' format. After copying the file on to the pc, i could not view the movie properly.

I found the following explanation for it at the mplayer site
Quote:
About .DAT files:
The ~600 MB file visible on the first track of the mounted VCD is not a real file! It is a so called ISO gateway, created to allow Windows to handle such tracks (Windows does not allow raw device access to applications at all). Under Linux you cannot copy or play such files (they contain garbage). Under Windows it is possible as its iso9660 driver emulates the raw reading of tracks in this file. To play a .DAT file you need the kernel driver which can be found in the Linux version of PowerDVD. It has a modified iso9660 filesystem (vcdfs/isofs-2.4.X.o) driver, which is able to emulate the raw tracks through this shadow .DAT file. If you mount the disc using their driver, you can copy and even play .DAT files with mplayer. But it will not work with the standard iso9660 driver of the Linux kernel! Use the -vcd option instead. Alternatives for VCD copying are the new cdfs kernel driver (not part of the official kernel) that shows CD sessions as image files and cdrdao, a bit-by-bit CD grabbing/copying application.

So i was looking for the isofs filesystem. I will now read through the filesystem README to see whether iso9660 and isofs are the same
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I've read mplayer's quote, none of the iso/cd drivers in the stock kernel will work. Google for cdfs, that's what mplayer recommends :-)
naveennaveen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: cdfs Reply with quote

Well ... i tried getting cdfs. Some problems there too!

After installing the cdfs driver, i mounted the drive using the cdfs filesystem. When i tried copying from the cd, it gave segmentation error. Probably i should try an older release of the filesystem.

There is another doubt i have here. As i could not find an ebuild for the cdfs package, i had to download it separately and install it following the instructions that came with it. Will this affect the gentoo installation.
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: cdfs Reply with quote

naveennaveen wrote:
There is another doubt i have here. As i could not find an ebuild for the cdfs package, i had to download it separately and install it following the instructions that came with it. Will this affect the gentoo installation.

You'll have stale files in /lib/modules/${KV} from cdfs, but you can ignore them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: