epsxe steady frame rate
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: epsxe steady frame rate Reply with quote

i am using epsxe with mesa plugin 1.71 , and i have a gforce 2 mx

if i dont frame limit , it goes up to 140 fps , so my system is fast enough to play the game.

but i never have a stready frame rate , like always 59 or really close ( like in windows)

i tryed gentoo sources with preemp and low latency but still it doesnt work.

any ideas ?
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed that you got mesa+geforce to work without segfaulting. Any hints on that? I've been missing epsxe but haven't been able to get it to run with Pete's plugin and a geforce3...

At what point to things slow down - during cinema or just randomly during gameplay? How does the software driver do? Are you reading the game from an iso or cdrom?
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: segfaulting Reply with quote

well , i there are some tips at pete's site ( the maker of the mesa gl plugin)

i am using glibc 2.3.1 , but it works with glibc2.3.2 ( some time ago i used it)

you should do something like this
Code:
cd ~/.epsxe
export LD_PRELOAD=libpthread.so.0
./epsxe $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7

copy the libpthread.so.0 to you ~/.epsxe

it should work

the slowdown is during the gameplay ... it is at 59 or 58 , then for a frame , drops to 47 , then back to 55 or so ... etc ... its not steady

i am playing from an iso
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious... i have petes mesa gl plugin working on my gf4 ti 4200 without having an immediate segfault... however when i go to resume a game after escaping mid-game i have one of two things happen: either i go turbo (extremely fast, less responsive) or i segfault... would this fix work for me as well?

on another note, how do you get petes softX plugin to work correctly? whenever i emerge that plugin i get an error about it not finding the config and epsxe promptly crashes...

my machine is powerful enough in windows to have used petes windows software plugin with a lot of souping up with no trouble, and that plugin was a heck of a lot more accurate...

and in response to your problem, may i ask what game you are attempting to play?
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: game: Reply with quote

the game i am trying to play is winning eleven 2002

as for the mid-game escape , i dont think it will fix it

softX works nice with me , with nvidia drivers or Xfree drivers ( although my cpu isnt fast enought for full speed )

SDL driver , is the one that doesnt work
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... i've never tried that game, i do not even have it. may i ask what you are using for a controller? not that this has anything to do with your problem, cause it doesn't, i cannot help you. i am wondering because i am trying to decide what psx to usb adapter i should grab, they are all native to windows and i have no clue how well they would work in linux. the EMS one is the one i have been considering the most...
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: keyboard Reply with quote

heh :) i am the wrong guy to answer that.

if it was to me, it would play in the original playstation with a keyboard !! ( i really love playing with the keyboard !! :) only f1 and aerocraft games are the exception , with a wheel and a joystick being prefered )

so my controller plugin is the normal one
Moofed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the psx->usb adapter that pydance (pyddr) recommends.
http://levelsix.com/products/pc/EMSUSB2.shtml
works great, althought the one I received is black and has a composite cable for a light gun (i think?), plug and play all the way.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: segfaulting Reply with quote

yagami wrote:
well , i there are some tips at pete's site ( the maker of the mesa gl plugin)

i am using glibc 2.3.1 , but it works with glibc2.3.2 ( some time ago i used it)

you should do something like this
Code:
cd ~/.epsxe
export LD_PRELOAD=libpthread.so.0
./epsxe $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7

copy the libpthread.so.0 to you ~/.epsxe

it should work

Wow. Thanks, I thought I'd tried that trick before but I guess not. Working like a charm (playing a little Final Fantasy Tactics right now).

Quote:

the slowdown is during the gameplay ... it is at 59 or 58 , then for a frame , drops to 47 , then back to 55 or so ... etc ... its not steady

i am playing from an iso

That doesn't seem too unusual, depending on the game. What game are you playing? There's also about 100 ways to configure Pete's driver - you can always knock the quality settings down to nothing and tweak your way up. I'm getting some pretty terrible FPS myself.
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What audio driver are you guys using? I've got a really fast computer, but the audio is SOO choppy, it is impossible to stand, yet the game runs faster than it should on a playstation the game looks hyper.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: