Help needed replacing sbs server 2003 with Gentoo Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Help needed replacing sbs server 2003 with Gentoo Linux Reply with quote

Most small businesses I know would benefit from an open source solution for their file/printsharing and email server needs. However I didn't find any replacement exchange features such as the ability to login remotely in the office network with remote desktop and the ability to access remotely your outlook mailbox.

Are these available? And if so what are the recommended programs? Thanks in advance!
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't get completely what you want to do.
you write something about exchange... do you mean the MS mail server?
here you have many alternatives. use e.g. postfix or courier as smtp server and squirrelmail as webfrontend. there are also many many pop3 and imap4 servers out there.
if you are searching for a more complete groupware application than simple search the portage tree. try "groupware" in the package descriptions.
"remote desktop"... there is vnc and if that better fits your needs the linux terminal server project. the gnome desktop itself has a vnc server built in so that you can access your desktop from home.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.blackbit wrote:
here you have many alternatives. use e.g. postfix or courier as smtp server and squirrelmail as webfrontend. there are also many many pop3 and imap4 servers out there.
if you are searching for a more complete groupware application than simple search the portage tree. try "groupware" in the package descriptions.
"remote desktop"... there is vnc and if that better fits your needs the linux terminal server project. the gnome desktop itself has a vnc server built in so that you can access your desktop from home.

Imagine a small office network (with 5-20 clients). All clients are running Windows (XP), They use Windows Small Business Server to redistribute email, share files and printers. These functions can easily be done with a Linux server.

However with Windows Small Business Server it is also possible to access your desktop and email remotely. I wonder what are good replacements for these functions of the sbs server?
Sysa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
alex.blackbit wrote:

Imagine a small office network (with 5-20 clients). All clients are running Windows (XP), They use Windows Small Business Server to redistribute email, share files and printers. These functions can easily be done with a Linux server.

However with Windows Small Business Server it is also possible to access your desktop and email remotely. I wonder what are good replacements for these functions of the sbs server?

Look at VNC (net-misc/tightvnc) for remote access and any web mail UI (e.g. mail-client/squirrelmail) for remote mail.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sysa wrote:
Look at VNC (net-misc/tightvnc) for remote access and any web mail UI (e.g. mail-client/squirrelmail) for remote mail.

Squirrelmail and/or the Horde might be an idea. Is it possible to log in a system with VLC without an invitation? In sbs server users login to their desktop remotely through an ip address they type into internet explorer.
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to replace a completely microsoft based solution with something completely different, there will be some details changing, no doubt.
i think you should step back a little (mentally) and think what you really need and then how it can be done.
the way it was done before is just one solution, not the only one possible. i know it is difficult sometimes to do take that step, but it is possible.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: