Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Newbie install: "emerge portage" leaves me dazed.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galaxy66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Newbie install: "emerge portage" leaves me dazed. Reply with quote

Background: RPM-based Linux user of 8 years trying Gentoo for the first time.
Hardware: AMD K6-233, 160MB, Trident TGUI 9440 graphics, 3-Com 3c59x NIC, ens1371 audio. (All PCI adapters)
Installation method: Minimal CD + Handbook
Initial observations:
'll' alias already defined - good. :)
'vi' works - good :) (sorry nano lovers)

Following the Handbook to the letter, (except using vi) I start out very impressed but then I encountered this:
handbook-x86 wrote:

If you are warned that a new Portage version is available and that you should update Portage, you should do it now using emerge portage command.

I got the warning and entered "emerge portage" as instructed.
After it completes, it tells me that 4 config files in /etc need to be updated. OK, that's not helpful. Entered 'man emerge' and was overwhelmed with possibilities.
I enter 'll /etc' and its says "command not found". Huh? I do 'ls -l /etc' and make.conf isn't there. Dang, it left me in another chroot.
So I exit out of that chroot and discover 'll' is still unset. My beloved vi is gone too (no vim or elvis either).
So I exit the installation chroot and ditto. I fear other stuff in the installation tree is borked too.

Obviously 'emerge portage' had its way with my installation environment.
At that point, I suspect I've done something wrong and take a break to post here.
About the only thing I actually accomplished prior to that was to edit make.conf:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=i586 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j1"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://<url-of-mirror-server>"
SYNC="rsync://<url-of-rsync-server>"

I'm now going to plow forward but if anyone has pointers that will save grief later, they'll be appreciated.
My goal is to get a basic command-line installation working and add mpg123 and ogg123 using alsa output.
If that goes well, I may take a shot at adding X and IceWM. (Yes, that will take a while but its just a test box.) :)

Thanks in advance.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy66,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Your install will be fine, it will still br on your hard drive where you put it.
Get back into it again with [/url=https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3516331.html#3516331]these steps[/url]

You will quickly learn that gentoo only installs the things you must have and the things you ask for.
Implicit in the things you ask for are any dependencies needed to support packages you have selected.

Your portage update made available some updated configuration files, so its suggesting you run something like etc-update to check them and install them, if you approve, on a file by file basis.

Should you approve them?
That depends on the files and the changes, e.g. if the changes are to config files you have edited you may not want the update

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you do emerge portage, and it tells you that some files in /etc need to be updated, run this command:

Code:

etc-update

Then just follow the prompts. I'm not sure about emerging vi or anything else before the installation is done. I've always just done the installation with nano and then emerged whatever I wanted AFTER that installation of the basic CLI was finished. It seems to me that as long as you emerge those tools while chrooted into your environment and after emerge portage, it should keep them, but I'm not completely sure about that.

Welcome to Gentoo, and if you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NeddySeagoon,

You beat me to it by about 30 seconds! 8)
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the file-by-file checking in etc-update, I'd recommend you update every file with the recommended new one on your initial install. The changes are generally for the better or to reflect changes in program functionality or the likes. Until you've gotten the hang of things and actually edited your own config files, the updates are usually pretty good changes.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You surely can automerge all of the updated config files, but sometimes that will overwrite some custom settings. For instance, there are times where etc-update will report that .bashrc should be overwritten. In that case, if you choose to do so, you will lose your aliases, et cetera.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiberianSniper,

You really don't want to update /etc/fstab, /etc/config.d/hostname and must of /etc/config.d/* without some thought.
Careless use of etc-update can render your system unbootable. baselayout changes are the worst offenders here.

Oh, amd ssh updates normally throw away all the security changes you have made to /etc/ssh/sshd.config. Thats only an issue if you use sshd of course.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer dispatch-conf to etc-update
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
i prefer dispatch-conf to etc-update

Can you provide a little more detail as to why you prefer dispatch-conf? I have never used it, and am always anxious to hear about alternative methods. :)
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
SiberianSniper,

You really don't want to update /etc/fstab, /etc/config.d/hostname and must of /etc/config.d/* without some thought.
Careless use of etc-update can render your system unbootable. baselayout changes are the worst offenders here.

Oh, amd ssh updates normally throw away all the security changes you have made to /etc/ssh/sshd.config. Thats only an issue if you use sshd of course.

Right, I just meant that for the initial installation - before any custom settings were made - that allowing all etc-update changes isn't usually bad. But once it's all customized, that's different.
Galaxy66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Perhaps it was env-update that transported me to an alternate universe. :oops:
Looks like etc-update is just what I needed. It only offered -3 -5 etc. but I had nothing to lose and -3 worked.

Now another n00b question: The stage3-x86 tarball is for i486 and stage3-i686 is obviously a no-go for this relic.
According to /proc/cpuinfo, it does support mmx so I'd like to take advantage of that for audio decoding.

As long as its early in the game, is it possible the set CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu" and covert the i486 stage into i586 before proceeding to install stuff?
(Yeah, it'll be slow but I've got plenty of other things to do while it compiles.)

If so, is there step-by-step ordering of how to do that?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy66,

Its possible to change your CHOST but not really required. You will have a tool chain that itself uses a i486 compatible instruction set but emits code for your k6 CPU. You get the same compiler output now, as you would with a i586 CHOST. It might take a little longer, thats all.
Its your call if you want to spend CPU time now changing CHOST os accumulate the time over slightly slower compiles.
Follow this guide if you want to go ahead. That guide was written for users with a i386 CHOST, as it limited the glibc version available.

You can use mmx for multimedia by putting mmx into your USE flags in make.conf, and 3dnow if you have it. The CHOST has no effect on that.
Your
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=i586 -pipe"
can be improved.
-mtune=i586 means make code that will run on an i386 but reorder the instructs to suit a generic i586
-march=k6 or -march=k6-2 (if you have a k6-2) will be better for you. It allows gcc to use the instruction set of the CPU you tell it. It breaks backwards compatibility.
-fomit-frame-pointer is a memory saver and run time speed up. It tells gcc not to save some information on the stack when it makes function calls. Code compiled with this option cannot be debugged, so do not use it if you want to use this system for code developement. At least, turn it off for your own code.

My k6-2 (450MHz) server uses
Code:
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
It was installed from a stage 1 at a time when the -march=k6 options were broken in gcc. They have been fixed for a long time now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy66 wrote:
Looks like etc-update is just what I needed. It only offered -3 -5 etc. but I had nothing to lose and -3 worked.

If you just hit enter at that prompt instead of -3 or -5, it will go file by file and show you the differences between your current config file and the suggested replacement file. From there, you have the option to keep your old file, use the new file, or merge the two and use the combination. That's a good bit safer than -3 for most later updates....
Galaxy66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have the entire system "tweaked" for the K6 CPU even though I understand the performance benefits are small.

Per the guide that NeddySeagoon referenced, I did manage to emerge binutils, gcc and glibc. At the end, it built support for hundreds of languages I'll never use apparently because /etc/locale.gen didn't exist yet. Hind-site is 20/20. :)

After insuring that there were no old CHOST references, attempting to emerge libtool failed quickly. I don't have the machine handy but can post the error messages later if necessary. Before attempting to continue down this path though, I have a question:

I started with the stage3 tarball because the handbook says its the only method supported.

Might it be better to start with stage1 versus unpacking and immediately converting the stage3?
(Again, compilation time doesn't matter. My goal is to learn.)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy66,

I've only ever done stage 1, mostly because I'm an old hand.

You can still do stage 1 and on an old system you want to get the best out of and to learn, its probably the way to go.
Health Warning :- Do not update portage until you boot into your own kernel if you do stage 1.
I recall the latest portage needs later versions of things that you won't have, so you can install the new version of portage but then never user it.
The documents are still on the web.

If you decide to use stage 1, please post questions in unsupported software. Stage 1 is not officially supported any more.
Thats not the same as saying you won't get help.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: