/dev/hda3 (where my '/' is) is not visible with 'df'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krigg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: /dev/hda3 (where my '/' is) is not visible with 'df' Reply with quote

I know just enough linux to be dangerous :wink: , so I'll try not to make anyone spit milk out their noses.

Here is my first problem

% df -h get's me this

Code:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                  62M     0   62M   0% /dev/shm
df: `/var/log': No such file or directory
/dev/hda5             5.2G   37M  5.2G   1% /var

Now I did add the /dev/hda5, but i didn't do anything (or so i thought) to /dev/hda3....yet, where is it??? What's screwy is that I'm able to go around my filesystems still, yet somehow, a whole wack of 'em have dissapeared. What's worse is that this all started with the friggin message '[Errno 28] No space left on device' . Now I can't figure it out since my /dev/hda3 partition had about 10GB of space on it (20GB HD that I"m using).

I'm using Reiser FS if that helps, oh, and I have only been using Linux about three months total. I want to see my /dev/hda3 again, and find out where all my space is being eaten up. /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6 are two 5 GB partitions that I had as spares (which is why I thought I'd be smart and mount /var on one of them).

I'm reading a whole lot, but unfortunately, without any sort of mentor, I'm kind of like a blind guy trying to teach himself brail from a brail book on how to read brail.

I have two words for you....... HELP ME!!!....oh yeah...three words.... PLEASE!!!

JR
payam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's in your /etc/fstab ? ie: Is your root partition being mounted at boot? Also, what happens when you do
Code:
mount /dev/hda3 /
as root?
Krigg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to get back to you about that, now I'm cut off from the computer. (it's at a remote location) and now it no longer accepts ssh. I'm going to have to go there tomorow and see if I can get to the bottom of the problem.
:roll: :evil:
JR
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: