NetworkManager SVN?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: NetworkManager SVN? Reply with quote

Has anyone played around with the current SVN of NetworkManager? Does static IP support work? What works? What doesn't? Anyone want to put together a live ebuild? It would be awesome to finally have a decent GUI network manager...
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to check out the search function...

Guess you're looking for that thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-629987-highlight-networkmanager.html
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected it to be in unsupported, where it should be, so I searched that...
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say networkmanager (0.6.5), in conjunction with the gui frontends of knetworkmanager (in kde) and nm-applet (in gnome) work really really well. AFAIK, manually setting IP is not possible, but then again, nowadays its all dhcp (hope you can set up your router to do that ;)). Also heard its a little specific to device drivers and driver versions, but I have used it flawlessly on many devices both wired and wireless, and its a bliss. The only downpoints - the library libnl (net link?) it depends on is mercurial (because I guess it depends on kernel headers which also keep changing), so one may run into compilation troubles. Very rarely I had troubles with the underlying dhcdbd that handles the dhcp part - once in a rarity it might fail to reconnect, but the gentoo networking scripts which use dhcpcd instead are failproof :D. (I think a seasoned gentoo user, though using networkmanager for ease, should be also acquainted with the caveman-style but solid gentoo networking scripts for fallback ;). Cough cough... also ifconfig, iwconfig, dhcpcd ... :p.) Other things - it may not be able to handle ultra fancy networks (I haven't tried vpn etc, though I guess support are there).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: