Gentoo 2007 Hates My GeForce 8800GT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj100570
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2007 Hates My GeForce 8800GT Reply with quote

I'm having a little issue with using the GTK installer. When booting the dvd I have to edit the xorg.conf to use vesa but then there's no link to the GTK installer. So, what I need to know is how to use the cli to install. And yes, I've rtfm. Lol.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to read through the install guide and ask more specific questions based on that... it's a little unreasonable to detail the full process in one post here :-P
cj100570
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradN wrote:
You'll have to read through the install guide and ask more specific questions based on that... it's a little unreasonable to detail the full process in one post here :-P

I've read the manual and maybe I'm a little slow but I can't find anything that specifically tells me how to install from the cli.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has you run a whole series of commands to set up your system, including partitioning, formatting, downloading/copying the base system, updating it, setting up the kernel and bootloader...

The CLI version isn't menu driven at all; you've gotta use linux commands to do things.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GTK+ installer is not only old, it is unstable. I would highly recommend using either the minimal installation disc, or better yet, the SystemRescueCD to install Gentoo. You will need to follow the handbook for your architecture, as well as these initial instructions. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns related to a particular portion of the manual installation, please don't hesitate to post them here.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you can still use the GTK installer, just be sure it login as gentoo (or default user) the interface is load with livecd.

try:
- look out in /home to get default user name
- passwd username to assign a valid password you will know
- gdm (i think livecd use gdm, could be xdm maybe), if not autologin, just send in the username/password you've just set
and you will find the default icon & tools livecd offers to default user (and so the GTK installer)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: