View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Portable Firefox and Thunderbird Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have an usb key on which I installed a portable version of Firefox and of Thunderbird for WINDOWS. My profiles are stored on these USB keys.

Basically, I would like to "install" a portable version of firefox and thunderbird for LINUX (i386) on these usb keys which would use the SAME profiles as the windows versions.

Do you know if this is possible at all? Are "windows" profiles compatible with "linux" profiles? I assume they are exactly the same but I am not certain

Do you know how to do it or have any clue? I tried running firefox from my linux installation with a -p and the path to my profile on my usb key but it did not work.

Thanks!
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a temporary solution which consists in adding a profile to my profile.ini in my home directory (which points to the profile on my usb key) but it's not really satisfactory considering that will only work on my own machine and as long as the path to the profile does not change.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try installing WINE and use it to run the portable version of Firefox and Thunderbird for Windows that you already have on your USB key.
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes doing that works but that's very hm... "unelegant" ;)

I guess there might be a solution with compiling firefox in static and copying it over but I am not sure it might work... Firefox seems to look into the profiles.ini of your home directory to determine the available profiles. If it could look into the profiles.ini on my usb key, that would work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: