Points Award Scheme
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Points Award Scheme Reply with quote

Hi:

I use the HP ITRC Forums a lot for work and one of its features is the ability to assign points to a responders answer. The more points awarded to a user means they go up the user status rankings :) Could this be implemented? Would people be interested in such a feature? Take a look here to see how it works http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/FamilyHome/1,,117,00.html
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv seen things like this before, and it seems pretty effective...

however i think this would involve some dramatic changes to the phpBB system, and im not sure its something within the realm of the board maintainers to make these changes. perhaps you can make the suggestion to the people at phpbb.com
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would such a system achieve?

Erik
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the personal satisfaction.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, and the readers ability to assess whether or not to trust an answer based on statistics about post usefulness.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rating the post is an ok idea although I bet I could never be bothered doing that! Rating the users based on that though doesn't seem so clever as some of the best answers on the forums come from people who rarely post but give outrageously good answers. Unless your proposing an averaging system of some sort.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't allow points to be awarded for posts in OTW, it would make a nice scheme to detect "guruness".
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
If we don't allow points to be awarded for posts in OTW, it would make a nice scheme to detect "guruness".

It would be interesting to see the post counts excluding Off The Wall. Perhaps excluding Gentoo Chat as well?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only from the support Forums then I guess...

Anyhow, wouldn't it be more prudent to actually consider the answer rather than a rating?

A person can be new to our Forums but have been a kernel developer for 7 years. His or her answer may be a lot more to the point than a person with high rating even though they would display a low rating. IMHO a useless system :)

And, it would have to be implemented by the phpBB developers too :) Is it btw?

(edit) I just checked the link given above to the HP board and the first thread I looked at shows that this system is useless. HP-UX C2 Trusted thread has an entry from P. Walleck who is unassigned, i.e no points and he gave the correct answer to the question.

Erik
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Only from the support Forums then I guess...

Anyhow, wouldn't it be more prudent to actually consider the answer rather than a rating?

A person can be new to our Forums but have been a kernel developer for 7 years. His or her answer may be a lot more to the point than a person with high rating even though they would display a low rating. IMHO a useless system :)

And, it would have to be implemented by the phpBB developers too :) Is it btw?

(edit) I just checked the link given above to the HP board and the first thread I looked at shows that this system is useless. HP-UX C2 Trusted thread has an entry from P. Walleck who is unassigned, i.e no points and he gave the correct answer to the question.

Erik

I'm with you on this one. It would only sow distrust of users with a low number of points even it was Linus himself who'd just joined our lovely forum. :-D
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points systems (self moderation) can work well. Where it's really useful though, is in reducing the load on site moderators. If sufficient people are willing to get involved (not a problem here seemingly), then points based systems become irrelevant.

Additionally, they have a habit of being abused. Over at Kuro5hin, there is endless discussion of modbombing etc. and the trollish sport of swapping "5s" while simultaneously writing the worst sort of drivel (which would normally see them pushed into the darkness).

phpBB has its own charm in not threading and not user moderating since it guarentees that posts have as far as possible, equal weight amongst users. Abuse is trodden on by moderators and all are happy. It's not exactly free speech, but that's the price you pay for simplicity.
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:
It would be interesting to see the post counts excluding Off The Wall. Perhaps excluding Gentoo Chat as well?

Gentoo Chat has many very technical threads by people who are hell-bent on breaking things before they hit the general public :) -- so it should "count", as long as we're dreaming here...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I totally agree with this. Besides, everyone else who's been doing OSS projects and things has been doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Why should we set up a reward system now?
Tux12Fun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Forum Thread Rating Reply with quote

Hi,

I think, it would be nice if users could rate the Threads with Stars so that other users could see, that this Topic
solved a Problem and helped at many Systems.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea in theory. I just have two: 1) given the heavily modified verison of phpBB2 used, it might be quite difficult to enable a thread rating system; 2) users might not rate threads all the time, which could potentially give the illusion that some helpful threads are not helpful. For those two reasons, I'm not sure that it would work out too well here. However, let's see what other users think. :)
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged some posts.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: