Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What have I done? Can't compile my kernel!!! HELP!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Amador County, Awarded 9th Best Place to live in Rural America

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: What have I done? Can't compile my kernel!!! HELP!!! Reply with quote

What started out as a seemingly simple task has now become an exercise in frustration...please bear with me here as I am in no way, shape or form a Gentoo Expert:

I wanted to install iptables and I was having errors while attempting to insmod. I read somewhere that this occurs sometimes and a fix for this is to disable the CONFIG_MODVERSIONS parameter...so I did this.

I then ran "make mrproper" and proceeded to run "make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install"

I just ran this earlier this morning with no problems whatsoever...NOW...I'm getting the following error(s)(please excuse the lengthy message):

make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers/usb'
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-protot ypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -p ipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -D KBUILD_BASENAME=usb -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c usb.c
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-protot ypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -p ipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -D KBUILD_BASENAME=usb_debug -c -o usb-debug.o usb-debug.c
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-protot ypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -p ipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -D KBUILD_BASENAME=hub -c -o hub.o hub.c
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-protot ypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -p ipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -D KBUILD_BASENAME=devio -c -o devio.o devio.c
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-protot ypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -p ipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -D KBUILD_BASENAME=inode -c -o inode.o inode.c
    inode.c:681: redefinition of `usbdevfs_add_bus'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include/linux/usb.h:1112: `usbdevfs_add_bus' pre viously defined here
    inode.c:693: redefinition of `usbdevfs_remove_bus'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include/linux/usb.h:1113: `usbdevfs_remove_bus' previously defined here
    inode.c:703: redefinition of `usbdevfs_add_device'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include/linux/usb.h:1114: `usbdevfs_add_device' previously defined here
    inode.c:715: redefinition of `usbdevfs_remove_device'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include/linux/usb.h:1115: `usbdevfs_remove_devic e' previously defined here
    inode.c:750: redefinition of `usbdevfs_init'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include/linux/usb.h:1117: `usbdevfs_init' previo usly defined here
    inode.c:775: redefinition of `usbdevfs_cleanup'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/include/linux/usb.h:1118: `usbdevfs_cleanup' pre viously defined here
    make[3]: *** [inode.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers/usb'
    make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers/usb'
    make[1]: *** [_subdir_usb] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers'
    make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

I'm not sure as to why I am now getting errors regarding USB as my .config file has had no changes to it in that section...but I am at a complete loss. Hopefully somebody can help me out here...Thank you
hensan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware of that 'make mrproper' deletes you .config file, right? So unless you copied in a .config file from somewhere after mproper you have to do a 'make menuconfig' before compiling the kernel.

Not sure if this causes those errors, just thought I'd mention it.
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...I saved a copy of the .config file, ran "make mproper", and then copied the .config file back into the directory...After this mess, I copied an "original" .config file back w/ all my working options and am still getting the same errors. :(
patience
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you didn't make any changes to the kernel code, like by patching? If you're using a .config from an older kernel, you should issue
Code:
make oldconfig
and then
Code:
make menuconfig
to make any further changes. make oldconfig attempts to merege an old .config into a newer version, leaving new options at the default setting, and updating your old options, if they still exist.

Mateja
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well "HOT DAMN"....that did it patience. Thank you very much for the lead...jesus! I've been pullin my hair out over this one and furiously searching the web for resolution....Many thanks my friend...:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: