GLIS, how well does it wrok?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: GLIS, how well does it wrok? Reply with quote

Earlier this morning I read about it and it seems nifty. I'm going to be doing a stage 1, so it'd be nice to start it before going to work, so it could be home somewhat far by the time I got home. I'd like to hear from some people who have tried it (Doing stage 1) and what they thought of it compared to a manual install. Thanks!
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant links: http://glis.sourceforge.net/ and GLIS: Gentoo Linux Install Script (0.7-beta Testers needed)

You have a fairly broad question. I don't know how to answer it other than to ask if you have read the 14 page thread linked above that describes the development process and describes their current status.
snipingkills
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLIS = Good

I am currently using whatever beta that nathaniel has out right now. I think that it would be a good thing for something that someone new to linux would prefer. there are a few things that you may have problems with, but that is highly unlikely. I would suggest to try it out if you don't feel that you can deal with a command line right now. Just remember to read what the screen says and I would suggest going with the defaults for a basic install. Also, remember Gentoo takes a while to install ~16 hours on a dual proc 266 with 128MB RAM.
Dominii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm comfortable doing a fresh install by the command line. The reason I was looking at GLIS was for automated install, because then I could start it at 6 am, so that by the time I got home at 6 pm, it would have done more than just bootstrap. If that makes sense.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominii wrote:
I'm comfortable doing a fresh install by the command line. The reason I was looking at GLIS was for automated install, because then I could start it at 6 am, so that by the time I got home at 6 pm, it would have done more than just bootstrap. If that makes sense.
Yes, this is the only reason I would recommend using GLIS. You cheat yourself out of a good learning experience if you are a n00b and you choose to use GLIS.
snipingkills
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Dominii wrote:
Yes, this is the only reason I would recommend using GLIS. You cheat yourself out of a good learning experience if you are a n00b and you choose to use GLIS.

You have a point there, something that I did not think of, but if you are a true linux newbie as I was, I had no idea what X was, how to start it, or how to use it when I first installed RedHat 6.2. That is why I suggested it if you did not feel comfortable. Second, how would a n00b know what packages to merge? I'm not trying to flame you here, just curious at to what you would suggest, or is this already somewhere else on this site and I just missed it since I am more familiar with what I need to have an operational desktop?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snipingkills wrote:
You have a point there, something that I did not think of, but if you are a true linux newbie as I was, I had no idea what X was, how to start it, or how to use it when I first installed RedHat 6.2. That is why I suggested it if you did not feel comfortable.
If you are a total n00b and have never seen any kind of a graphical X session, I would recommend installing Mandrake, SuSE, or Red Hat for about 1 hour and I'm not even sure it's worth that. I would actually rather show someone an already setup system and explain to them what a window manager, desktop environment, and standard console terminal were. The reason for this is that when a total n00b sees an installation from Mandrake with cute fluffy pengiuns bouncing all over the place and then transitions immediately to gentoo where everything durring the install is mostly text based, they will feel like they are being ripped off. However, you are correct in that it's helpful to have a concept of the big picture before you start the install and that this idea is hard to achieve for a total n00b.

Quote:
Second, how would a n00b know what packages to merge? I'm not trying to flame you here, just curious at to what you would suggest, or is this already somewhere else on this site and I just missed it since I am more familiar with what I need to have an operational desktop?
In step 25 of the x86 installation guide it details what to do once you have installed gentoo. Of course the install guide doesn't cover things like X, KDE, Gnome, etc... but here's what the end of step 25 says:
x86 Install Guide wrote:
If you have any questions or would like to get involved with Gentoo Linux development, consider joining our gentoo-user and gentoo-dev mailing lists (more information on our mailing lists page). We also have a handy Desktop configuration guide that will help you to continue configuring your new Gentoo Linux system, and a useful Portage user guide to help familiarize you with Portage basics. You can find the rest of the Gentoo Documentation here. If you have any other questions involving installation or anything for that matter, please check the Gentoo Linux FAQ. Enjoy and welcome to Gentoo Linux!
There are links to the appropriate guides in this quote, but I'm too lazy to copy them here.

Also, we should try not to step on the toes of the thread called: Gentoo not for "newbies"?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: