emerge syn problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: emerge syn problems Reply with quote

Im installing my fisrt copy of gentoo and i keep runing into problems when i get to the emerge syn. I get and error that says emerge failed retry and it does this 3 times. Then i get a messege that says that it failed to emerge and that i should keep trying till it does or i should try emerge-webr(something). Well i tried to re emerge command a few times and nothing. Then i try the other and i get a messege that says fetching most recent snapshot and then i get a command prompt. Well as i move along i come to another part that says emerge -up system and i get the same messeges again and again. I dont know whats wrong. Im using .iso gentoo-3stages-x86-1.4_rc4.iso. Any ideas.

Thanks
MrSwitch
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you remember to copy over the resolve.conf file? I'm assuming that you're running into this wall when you're doing the install. Also before you chroot yourself did you test your network connection? Try to ping gentoo.org and see if you get anything wierd. If that works, and then breaks in the chroot environment, chances are you forgot to copy the resolve.conf file from the CD to your chroot env.

Petyr
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that didnt work. Here is the exact messege that im getting.

Quote:
>>>starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage... rsync:getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873 : Temorary failrue in name resolution rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

starting 1 of 3
rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failure in name resolution rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c (83)

it repeats this till it gets to 3.

I know its got internet connection becuase i used it to download the stage3 tarball and i made sure to take note that i copied the resolve.conf file.

Thanks
MrSwitch
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please double check if 'ping rsync.gentoo.org' works. we need to know if this is a network problem or something else before we can dig deeper...
beejay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes have the same problem here when xMule is running: Because of these continuing queries it blocks the upstream and as a followup the name resolution (in sync, mozilla, jabber, icq, irc - everywhere)
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using DHCP or static config?
also inside the chrooted environment does the ping work? If not does it work outside the chroot?

Petyr
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i narrowed it down. When i chroot over i lose my internet connection. I had this problem afew times in mandrake when i would change connection settings and the modem wasnt detecting the new settings and i had to us a command something like "ifdown eth0" "ifup eth0" then it would get a new ip and things would be fine. I cant get either command to work.

slartibartfasz: yes i can ping rsync.gentoo.org but not after i chroot.

Petyr: im useing DHCP and i cant ping anything from chroot when i try i get a message that says
www.yahoo.com is an unknown host

Is it possible for me to reboot and go back to where i left off at or will i have to go through and start from the begining of the install. I left of at emrge sync to get the portage tree. Can i just get to the cdimage # prompt and re chroot back in.

Thanks
MrSwitch
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes u can shut down and chroot in later - the installation process will be just like u left it :)

as for your problem: i never heard of something like this - i'm afraid i cant help u much with this :? - but i'm quite sure there is someone on the forum who can :) - the only thing i can imagine is, that u forgot to copy resolve.conf to the chroot environment - but i guess u did that...
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another tactic... can you ping something if you give it a direct IP address. For example if you try to ping www.gentoo.org it doesn't resolve, what if instead you ping 203.112.31.164 from the chroot'ed env.
Trying to figure out if your network card itself just disappears, or if it's just DNS gets hosed somehow...

Petyr
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great help. I managed to get gentoo installed but after i restarted and booted up through lilo and get the a prompt my connection is gone again. For some reason it wont let me start kde or gnome. Dont they get installed by defualt. Pardon my ignornce im used to they nice "fluffy" mandrake installer. Thanks again for all the great help

MrSwtich
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe nope they're not installed by default.

Couple things you want to do. Did you make sure that you rc-update add net.eth0 default?
That should start you connection up each time your computer boots (after adding it, just /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start and you'll get it up for that boot)

Installing KDE and/or Gnome, you need to emerge them.
Trust me, building those packages will take a long time, unless you have like a super computer available. Go check out the list of packages for Portage on the gentoo site, figure out which one's you want and then just say emerge [package]
i.e. emerge mozilla

btw what ended up being the problem for your chroot'ed env?

Petyr
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Petyr im not quite sure what was wrong. I figured id give it another try and what do ya know a connection. Im going to check and see if net.eth0 was added. One more question on the install instructions it doesnt say anything about /home partition do i need it. I know that when you do the partitions in mandrake it creates /, /home, and a swap. These only show /, swap, and /boot. I added an extra partition for /home but if i wont need it is there any way to add the space back to the root with out reinstalling. Incase you need to know i used the ReiserFS filesystem for both / and the extra partiton that i had set aside.

Thanks
MrSwtich
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth to tell you don't really need the /home partition. I tend to keep my partitions seperated out so that if I happen to fill one (like /home) I don't screw things up elsewhere (i.e. if / and /home are on same partition and I fill home... then the computer could really go nutz before I notice)
Anyhow your choice on it really. Personally I used an LVM setup so that I just have a /boot a /root and a swap partition, and then rest of it is LVM so that if I need to change one of their sizes down the line I don't have to worry about it at all.
If you decide to merge them then it depends on how you laid out your partitions. If phsically, /home and / and *right next to each other* then you can probably delete the /home partition, extend the / partition and then call reiser_resize (or something, I forget the proper command for reiser, but I know that a resize program for it exists ^_~ It's just limited in that it can only expand a volume, can't shrink it). Note, I'm somewhat guessing here. It makes sense to me and I'm fairly sure it works that way, but be real careful doing it.
Oh one other thing. If you decided you're going to just expand the / partition, make sure you boot from the CD and do all that from there, otherwise life could be rather difficult if something goes slightly wrong^_~
Petyr
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast replys hopefully when i next post it will be from Gentoo.

Thanks
MrSwitch
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to be kicking a dead horse :wink:

I just set up a raid, and figured I would install a new install on it :lol:

Well to make a long story short, I am having the same problem :cry:

The stage1 tarball does not include ping so I copied it from my working install, and I found that I can ping an IP adress but not a name from wihin the chrooted environment, ouside, no problem at all.

I did copy my resolve.conf :wink:
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i remember right i forgot to copy over the resolv.conf file off of the cd. I gave up on gentoo after it too 3 days just to emerge x-window, kde, mozillia, and one other app. I moved to Debian and absolutley love it.

Good Luck
MrSwitch
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.... well the resolve.conf is the same one that I used lastime I installed (and every day I use my computer) so I cant see how that is the problem :?

On the otherhand, my reinstall is progressing ncely after finding the ipadress's of the mirrors I am using, and altering the make.conf appropriatly 8).

I guess this will just end up being another of my stories from gentoo land.

sorry you gave up on gentoo, I fortunatly have plenty of processing power, and the long builds (which arnt quite as long as yours) dont bother me.

Thanks
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I am an idiot after all, had resolv.conf spelled resolve.conf... and that was the source of my problems...... thats what I get for taking my baby brother out for his 21 then playing w/ a new install

alchohol the caus of and solution to most of my gentoo problems :lol:
MrSwitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats im glad i could finaly help someone.

MrSwtich
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: