[SOLVED] "Firefox is already running" on Dual Monitors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
choogi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] "Firefox is already running" on Dual Moni Reply with quote

I actually have 3 monitors--two of them are in TwinView and I have a third set up as a separate X server that I use just for email. I just recently reinstalled Gentoo.

Before the reinstall, I could have Thunderbird on my third monitor (separate x server), click a link in an email, and the link would open in the firefox window on my other monitors. Likewise I could click an email link on my main monitors and a "Compose to" window would open on my Thunderbird monitor.

But now, whenever I click on a link in my email, I get a "Close Firefox" window that says:

Code:

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

I get the same message about Thunderbird when I try to click an email link. If I remove the lock/.parentlock files in my profile directory, then firefox just opens in the Thunderbird monitor which isn't what I want (it normally wouldn't bother me but there are some issues with it). I don't know of anything that I might've done on my old set up that I forgot to do after I reinstalled Gentoo... Does anyone know a possible fix?

Last edited by choogi on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
kokoko3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a workaround, i use to have 2 profiles and launch firefox with something like:
DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox -P MyFirstProfile
DISPLAY=:0.1 firefox -P MySecondProfile

That way, it doesnìt complain anymore, but you'll have to sync profiles if you need it.
Maybe you can fake them by a simple symbolic link, but i've never tried.
Can't help you with thunderbird.
choogi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay finally figured it out.

I just had to got to System->Preferences->Preferred Applications and change the command land launcher to "firefox" instead what was there before and the problem was fixed. Now when I click on a link in thunderbird it automatically opens in a firefox window on my other window

I did the same with the thunderbird launcher and that fixed itself too
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: