[Solved] No messages displayed during boot process
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trashhalo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: [Solved] No messages displayed during boot process Reply with quote

I have been running gentoo for a 5 years now. So I know that this issue I am suffering is completely my fault. I am just looking for some suggestions on where to look. I was running on autopilot this morning changed some settings along with a kernel recompile and reboot. Every since the reboot not a single messages is displayed during the boot process (minus uncompressing and loading kernel.) Even after the boot process the same screen is displayed. So, no login prompt.

I know that the boot process finishes successfully
because I am able to login to the machine and execute commands (all blindly of course). I know that they execute because I can run things that play sound. Also I am able to ssh into the machine. Also I cannot change virtual terminals. I am stuck looking at that last message from the kernel.

First thought was something wrong was my inittab configuration or agetty was dieing at boot. I have now verified agetty is running and that my inittab is just about identical to the inittab.old from a gentoo minimal livecd. I have tried to go back to my old kernel configuration but with so many builds I have lost that magical working kernel config from 8am this morning.

Comparing dmesg logs from previous days and today reveals that dmesg used to log that the Console was vga+ enabled now it just states that the console is a colour dummy device (states that yesterday but then switches to vga+) then enables tty0 as console. I have also attempted to add console=tty0 and console=tty1 on the kernel line of my grub.conf. Neither of which changed anything.

No errors. Warnings in the logs. Whats complicating matters also is X is freezing upon start too. But that I can figure out on my own after I figure out why I have no console output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have wasted my entire sunday :(

Last edited by trashhalo on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
trashhalo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to think that its related to the lack of vga+ console binding messages. After reading http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/console/ I sshed into the box and ran a couple commands:

Code:
gentoo vtconsole # pwd
/sys/class/vtconsole
gentoo vtconsole # ls
vtcon0
gentoo vtconsole # cd vtcon0
gentoo vtcon0 # ls
bind  name  power  subsystem  uevent
gentoo vtcon0 # cat name
(S) dummy device
gentoo vtcon0 #

Any future discoveries will be attached to this reply.

That was it! Though I am not 100% sure which setting fixed it. Here is a diff between the two configs.
Left: New working config
Right: Old broken config
Code:
# Sun Mar 30 16:02:01 2008                                    | # Sun Mar 30 08:17:36 2008
                                                              > # CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO is not set
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y                                          | # CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS is not set
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=256                                   <
# CONFIG_VGASTATE is not set                                  | CONFIG_VGASTATE=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL is not set                      | CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL=m
CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING=y                                      | # CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set                                  | CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT is not set                     | CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y
                                                              > CONFIG_LCD_CLASS_DEVICE=m
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set                       | CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
                                                              > CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
                                                              > # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
                                                              > CONFIG_FB_CON_DECOR=y
                                                              > # CONFIG_FONTS is not set
                                                              > CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
# CONFIG_LOGO is not set                                      | CONFIG_LOGO=y
                                                              > CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
                                                              > CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
                                                              > CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

And as I suspected the difference between no output and all output and vts working was in the vga+ line. Check out the last couple boots:
Code:
root:log[0]% egrep -i console messages
Mar 30 13:12:26 gentoo Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Mar 30 13:12:26 gentoo console [tty0] enabled
Mar 30 15:49:23 gentoo Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Mar 30 15:49:23 gentoo console [tty0] enabled
Mar 30 16:25:12 gentoo Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Mar 30 16:25:12 gentoo console [tty0] enabled
Notice that the last boot (that actually worked) has the VGA+ line.

Hopefully someone else who makes the same mistake will find my topic helpful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: