No /dev/hda?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: No /dev/hda? Reply with quote

Ok - I started to install gentoo on my desktop pc last night, and I ran into the following issue. There is no /dev/hda or /dev/hde

I am using a second hard drive to install gentoo, while keeping my win2k drive intact.

I am using the onboard ATA controller for the drives, and I think that is why my master drive is /dev/hde and my slave is /dev/hdf

Can someone verify this for me?

Thanks.

Jamie
Deedook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many disks in total do you have? And how have you connected them? Master@IDE0
=/dev/hda, Slave@IDE0=/dev/hdb, Master@IDE1=/dev/hdc, Slave@IDE1=/dev/hdd. If you use more controllers, further dev:s will be used, Mater@IDE2=/dev/hde and so on. I'm not sure how your configuration looks, and therefore I can not say anything for certain. I'm not sure why you ask specifically about /dev/hda and /dev/hde. Either you use more than two IDE-controllers, but since such configurations is quite rare in home computers I don't think that is the case. Since your question is quite vage, and you have a disk with win installed, I suspect that you are quite new to linux, maybe you confuse /dev/hda (which in win would be called c:) with /dev/fd0 (which in win would be called a:)? If you use 2 disks and both IDE0 and IDE1 (as you probably should to obtain best performance, but it depends), then your disks wold be /dev/hda and /dev/hdc if both disks are set to primary. Your partions would be something like /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc5, /dev/hdc6 or something like that, depending of your choice.
Kimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sorry for the vague message, let me clarify.

I have 2 hard drives: One with Win2K installed, and a blank one (now Gentoo)

I am using a Promise ATA controller that is on my motherboard to control the hard disks. The drives have their own initialization during boot-up that is seperate from the normal IDE init. I did this for performance.

I believe the ATA controller shares the IDE0 plug on the motherboard.

I have 2 IDE CDROMs that are initialized with the IDE boot-up sequence.

The Gentoo drive is the master and the win2k drive is the slave on the ATA controller channel.

My theory is that since I am using the ATA controller chip instead of the normal IDE0 channel, /dev/hda and /dev/hdb are unavailable. There is no hda or hdb device in the /dev directory. IDE0 still exists, it's just that nothing is plugged into it because I am using the port on the motherboard for the ATA controller.

There does exist /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd. These are my CDROMs. They are on IDE1. This makes perfect sense.

/dev/hde is the gentoo drive (master on the ATA controller) and /dev/hdf is the windows drive (slave on the ATA controller).

Basically I posted so that someone could verify for me that this is the way it is supposed to work. I'm not really new to Linux - I've just never used any drive controllers other than IDE0 and IDE1, so I've never seen this particular situation.

Deedook, based on your post it seems that my theory is correct. Thanks.

Jamie
Deedook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepp, I think it is. Things look a little bit clearer now ;-)

Sorry if my message had quite a lot of junk in it, but it's hard to know where to start when one doesn't know who's asking :-|
DarkRyder
n00b
n00b

Location: Sol-III, west edge of the smaller northern continent, near a big bay (Send help!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimo wrote:
I believe the ATA controller shares the IDE0 plug on the motherboard.
Historically, this isn't true. SATA and ATA-RAID controllers typically function as IDE2 or IDE2/3. (A good way to check is to take a peek at your BIOS's boot order options. If your Promise controller is listed separately from "Hard Drive", it's not on IDE0.) If you have your two CD-ROMs on IDE1 and your two hard drives on the Promise controller, I would expect them to be hdc, hdd, hde, and hdf, with hda and hdb missing.
Kimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkRyder - Thanks for the clarification - I was just saying that it shares the physical socket on the motherboard where the ribbon cable plugs in. Regardless, I was incorrect :)

I have an ASUS A7V, and it actually has an additional plug for the ATA, it doesn't share one with IDE0

Thanks.

Jamie
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: