Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaterGator wrote:

nVidia promised compatibility and then gave us all the finger. So neither company is a bed of roses; nVidia is ahead of AMD's linux drivers right now, but IMO AMD writes better overall drivers and will catch up and surpass nVidia sometime in the future. You gotta decide if the waiting is worth it.

They could, but they could also have done it in the past years and the didn't do it. Name an only reason why that's going to change.

And in the while, tell us why am I going to buy an ATI today to use it 2 years later, when the drivers "catch up".

I am completely partial and biased, I don't hide it. After trying around 20 ATi cards of many kinds in the later 6 or 7 years.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my problem with my ATI FireGL V5250, my problem is solved.

The problem was an option inside my ATI config and that feature is unstable since the driver 8.45.

So, that doesn't change my opinion on the quality of the driver, but I can like with that now.
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidia all the way. My Nvidia desktop flies where my ATI laptop chokes. Yes, the desktop is more powerful, but it has an old XP 2800+ as a CPU, and we are talking about a 4x difference for cards in the same generation, so don't tell mi it is the hardware ;) ATI can talk to me in two years, when the drivers are in a decent state. Having a card competitive with the 9600GT would also be nice and all that...
<@Chin^> there is no justice in the world...
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaterGator wrote:
but the fglrx driver is apparently slated for a big leap in usability in like the next 3 releases.

Saying that ATI sucks and they can't write a linux driver because you tried them a year ago is weak, IMO. The drivers are far from great at this point, but IMO ATI makes a better card than nVidia these days and it's not going to be long before ATI's linux drivers are fully usable and shortly thereafter getting mature.

I spend my money based on reality and not based on dreams that so far (aka much longer then 2 months) haven't even come close to coming true.

I give AMD a lot of credit but ATI had none before AMD bought them out.

I wouldn't buy an DAMMIT card until the drivers are actually available and work as easily and simply as nvidia's do.

when that happens, yes, i'll reevaluate their product but until then its not even worth thinking about. nvidia all the way.
NaterGator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
I spend my money based on reality and not based on dreams that so far (aka much longer then 2 months) haven't even come close to coming true.

So do I, and the reality is that nVidia promised me NF3 compatibility when Vista came out, and all they had to do was write a fucking GART driver to deliver. Instead they spent more time making excuse and deleting content from their website, so I swore them off until they get bought our or new management.

ATI wrote crappier drivers (lukily AMD bought them) but at least I never got the middle finger from them. Now they're owned by ATI and they're still not the company that burned me in the past.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two laptops with mobile ATI cards (one x86 and one amd64) and an x86 desktop with nVidia and all three gave me headache when I was setting the systems up, and what's more, both closed source drivers crash or "behave strangely" from time to time, but rarely enough to make them fully usable. However, one of the laptops runs great and rock-solid with opensource radeon driver, something nVidia's still far from achieving. Personally, I'd go for ATI if I was buying a new PC or upgrading an old one.

Last edited by paluszak on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
sips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
I wouldn't buy an DAMMIT card until the drivers are actually available and work as easily and simply as nvidia's do.
when that happens, yes, i'll reevaluate their product but until then its not even worth thinking about. nvidia all the way.

What's the point of drivers, when they just don't work (for ex. http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=5951&page=3)

But, yep, those open radeon drivers are great.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sips wrote:
jonnevers wrote:

What's the point of drivers, when they just don't work (for ex. http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=5951&page=3)

you can find driver defects for any driver for any device. compiz confounds the issue in a couple ways, so i'm not sure what your point it? ATI's drivers with compiz works perfectly for every single user? i highly doubt that.

and those open drivers are great for 3d? this is a serious question because i thought that wasn't the case. if they can't do 3d well, i'm not interested in them as i buy a gfx card for 3d, if i only wanted good 2d i'd get an integrated intel based system. I could be wrong though.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Gentoo Chat. Not support.
paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
sips wrote:
jonnevers wrote:

you can find driver defects for any driver for any device. compiz confounds the issue in a couple ways, so i'm not sure what your point it? ATI's drivers with compiz works perfectly for every single user? i highly doubt that.

and those open drivers are great for 3d? this is a serious question because i thought that wasn't the case. if they can't do 3d well, i'm not interested in them as i buy a gfx card for 3d, if i only wanted good 2d i'd get an integrated intel based system. I could be wrong though.

They work ok with ATI Technologies Inc Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M, at least on this system. This is not a race horse, but I never intended to play Assassin's Creed on this machine, and I have no problems whatsoever with Google Earth, avant-window-navigator and stuff like that. I don't use compiz, however. What's more inetersting, I failed to set up closed source ATI drivers here, only radeon and vesa work.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzobelmont wrote:
just two words:

ATI SUCKS

here the reasons:
i'm an ati user since 2 years now and its support is the worst in the linux world.

And how many cards are supported under nouveu?

enzobelmont wrote:
AMD bought ati and things got better, but just a little.

Releasing register specs and undergoing major fglrx refactoring is a "little"?

enzobelmont wrote:
AIGLX support took soo looooong to get my card working on compiz. and it runs slow. if you want to know a little more, go to phoronix forums and check a year ago threads.... and compare. there were very annoying bugs (resolution problems, no hibernation/suspend, no dual head, etc.)

A legacy of poor ATi executive decision making.

enzobelmont wrote:
ati now releases a new driver every month, but it looks the same (very minor changes)

Does *every* release of KDE, Gnome, and X.org bring major improvements? The fglrx driver dwarfs X.org in scale and complexity, right now their internal codebase is being massively overhauled, and until that work is complete and stable, users will have to live with driver updates that supports new cards and kernel/x.org updates.

enzobelmont wrote:
at present moment my ATI card runs in a decent way except for a problem in refresh rate. (maybe i've get used to it poor performance).

I know that problems are caused by driver, because in windows my ati card works fine.

in these two years no hardware of my own has dissapointed me as much as my ati card. (seriously no joke)

It's considered common knowledge that ATi binary drivers were a joke for the longest time, all that's changing now.

enzobelmont wrote:
That was my laptop.

I'm surprised it worked at all in that case.

enzobelmont wrote:
in my desktop i've a NVIDIA. And it works very well. (nothing more to say)

Except for XVideo/Xvmc while using xinerama extensions, but generally, yes, except if you hate binary drivers, then you're screwed.

enzobelmont wrote:
STAY AWAY FROM FGLRX driver.

For now, yes, I agree, unless you need more 3d horsepower, stick with the opensource radeon/radeonhd (the latter is getting 3d support as we speak).
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found NVIDIA drivers to be both easier to 'install' and easier to configure. They also give better performance than the ATI ones. At least in my experience.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, when i was a windows user i tried both and found that ATI drivers were bad, especially when upgrading often you could end up with foobarred system, so wnet with nvidia, when moving to linux many years ago i carried on with nvidia as they had better linux support.

That said things are a changing, with ATI being brought out AMD the ATI bandwagon look like it will be making inroads into the linux world as they have release opensouce code for latest cards:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/amd_open_source_3d_code/

Nvidia are really dragging their heals with this and may lose out as the other big players go the opensource route.

Look forward to seeing the developments in new year for ATI opensource drivers.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clete2 wrote:
I found NVIDIA drivers to be both easier to 'install' and easier to configure. They also give better performance than the ATI ones. At least in my experience.

++

Nivida's still the way to go

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Hello, when i was a windows user i tried both and found that ATI drivers were bad, especially when upgrading often you could end up with foobarred system, so wnet with nvidia, when moving to linux many years ago i carried on with nvidia as they had better linux support.

That said things are a changing, with ATI being brought out AMD the ATI bandwagon look like it will be making inroads into the linux world as they have release opensouce code for latest cards:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/amd_open_source_3d_code/

The title for that article is wrong, like lots of other people that spread the rumor on the net.

ATi hasn't released anything as open source. They opened some specifications, which is a very different thing. Still a good thing, but still a very different thing.

The future might be cristal clear for ATi fanboys, but the present is today. And today ATi drivers hang my machine as they always did. That's why I chose to use nVidia. It might not be the most appealing thing, but the fact is that their drivers just work, and can use all the potential of the hardware (at least, to the extent that I need).

ATi is doing the right thing, but we were talking about facts, and about today. At least, that's what the OP asked.
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sips wrote:
My old laptop (ACER) had Radeon Xpress 1100 (or something) card and it just worked with open source drivers, but my old machine burn'd down (somehow).
So i bought a new one (DELL) with NVIDIA graphics (8xxx series) and it is just crap (for ex. *.avi playback, opengl screensaver, a.s.o. are hacking).

It seems that ATI rock's.

Full opposite. i've never used ATI. Now using, NVIDIA 8400mG. Only hibernate problems. Not more.. But i remember lots of my friends' ATI that i hate while installing linux.
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an ex-ATI user. And boy am I glad to have an nVidia! No problems in Linux. Compiz works great and is faster than my TNT2. Why compare against a 10 years old GPU? Because my ATI Radeon 9600XT was SLOWER than Riva TNT2 on xcompmgr! That's why! ATI sucks. If you want to buy their open-sourced crap, do it after a couple of years when they have finished their open-sourced drivers.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nvidia Top260 and I very happy with it.

nvidia-xconfig is pretty simple and it works :P
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I GREATLY prefer Nvidia to ATi, especially when it comes to ease of installation.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
Personally, I GREATLY prefer Nvidia to ATi, especially when it comes to ease of installation.

this

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a bit of an nVidia fanboy. I built 3 separate systems, all with nVidia chipsets and graphics cards. However, a combination of nVidias manufacturing problems last year, AMDs excellent reviews of the 790G chipset, and AMDs commitment to improving linux support comvinced me to change. I built 3 PCs last year all with AMD chipsets, and am very happy with them all.

Driver quality is actually very good for both. I hardly ever have any issues with either, though the latest incarnation nVidia card I have is a 7900GS. I believe there have been problems with the 8xxx and 9xxx series cards and compiz.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use nVidia, and will do so for the foreseeable future. ATI/AMD have yet to convince me they can write a usable driver for any OS.

tabanus wrote:
I built 3 separate systems, all with nVidia chipsets

Well that was a mistake.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
I still use nVidia, and will do so for the foreseeable future. ..

tabanus wrote:

Well that was a mistake.

Why?
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
Monkeh wrote:
I still use nVidia, and will do so for the foreseeable future. ..

tabanus wrote:

Well that was a mistake.

Why?

I've built one system with an nVidia chipset, and never will again. Broken USB support, broken PCI..
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
I've built one system with an nVidia chipset, and never will again. Broken USB support, broken PCI..

I've built 3 with all of the above working perfectly, using pretty much the low end of the market boards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: