excessive wine masking (imo)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arbuckle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: excessive wine masking (imo) Reply with quote

Just want to start by saying, this isn't a flame, I hope this post creates an interesting and informative discussion. I'll try to keep this as opinion neutral as possible.
I was looking at gentoo-portage.com on the wine page and the newest unmasked version is 9.49. What is the criteria for deciding what wine versions get masked and what versions don't? I asked about this on IRC and I got a few arguments to justify why so many versions of wine are masked.

-- Wine is masked because application x works, and in the others it doesn't.
The wine weekly news letter informs users of all appdb changes, and it's true, some apps get broken but overall most get improved on each release. What makes application x so important? Why hold (on average) others back for one application?

-- Those versions of wine are still under testing to make sure they are stable.
Wine is going to be unstable for a very, very long time. In fact wine is implied unstable software. Are they masked because there is a gentoo specific problem with those versions? wine 9.50 is 16 weeks old, is it still under testing? Wine is released every two weeks. If we want to unmask a version of wine in time to make it worthwhile to get that release open before the next release then it needs to get unmasked in less than two weeks, because after that point we may as well just next the next newer version.

-- If you want version x of wine, just unmask it.
Then what's masking for in the first place? It helps people make good decisions about what versions of packages they need, and this idea loops back to the beginning that wine version 9.49 is way too old and 99% of the population would benefit from the latest version.

What is the criteria to decide what versions of wine get unmasked and what's wrong with all the versions that are masked?
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I have often wondered this myself... Personally, I have wine unmasked by ~x86, and it is one of the few packages I still have unmasked (had a lot of issues with my laptop that were fixed by newer software, when the software was eventually stable, I went back and cleaned up my package.keywords).
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: excessive wine masking (imo) Reply with quote

arbuckle wrote:
Then what's masking for in the first place?

For attempting to distinguish stable vs unstable. Which is pretty much an impossible task when apps break randomly between fortnightly versions. But still, Gentoo has the distinction, which works well with other apps.

So, it's wine's fault for this being inelegant in Gentoo, for breaking so often ;)

Really, it should be called wine-snapshot-<date>, because that's what it is, and permanently masked until version 1.0.

Edit: Spelling correction.

Last edited by PaulBredbury on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
arbuckle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that reminds me, wine version 1.0 is going to be a big release, but it's not going to be some magical number and suddenly many apps will start to work perfectly. Here are the goals for wine 1.0

I don't think that they will all get completed in time however. Wine releases are time-dependent, not improvement dependent. (Not that wine isn't constantly getting better)
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arbuckle wrote:
but it's not going to be some magical number

But the magic word is "support", i.e. patching a particular version for bugs in that specific version. Rather than "wait 2 weeks for the next snapshot, or do a cvs checkout" currently.

That's the difference between a proper version, and a snapshot.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wine is very complex and notorious for regression bugs thats the main reason
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: