View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Gnome themes Reply with quote

I'm giving gnome a shot. I've never really tried it before. So i'm trying to install some themes from gnome-look.org. But I'm confused. I get them to install, but they don't look anything like the screenshots the people provide.

If I install this:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Divinorum-Revisited?content=89200&PHPSESSID=a284f3de88f4e8e0035c81cdda97289d

Shouldn't it look just like that(minus the background and icons)

Basically all it does on my machine is change the title bar. Should it change the color of the task bar and all that jazz or am I mistaken.
casidiablo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, may be it's not changing the aspect for the "Controls"... when you select the theme from the Theme Manager click on the "Custom..." button and there you can change more things.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I wrong in thinking that the themese in the GTK2 section on the sight should make my destop look the same as the screens?
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally they should (obv differences like screenshots using compiz/translucence or different wm will not look like yours if you don't use the same things). but colored elements normally always match and when they don't I'd look at the included gtkrc file for lines that say "engine" and make sure the theme engine is one you indeed have installed.

other problems could be something specific to the gtkrc file such as a hardwired path that doesn't exist (in your setup), it's uncommon but typos too will cause problems; or you could be inadvertently overriding aspects of the theme through ~/.gtkrc* files, etc.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know what theme engine I have? By them engine to you mean Beryl and stuff like that?
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, theme engines (for gtk) are stuff like "gtk-engines-murrine" - they provide platforms on which gtk themes can be built (typically it is graphic elements, shapes and visual treatments like separator line width, etc., that are impacted by an engine's presence or lack thereof). with standard gtk installed I believe you get a small handful of engines by default but often many themes use engines you have to specifically add yourself. if you load a theme that uses an engine you don't have installed, the theme will still work but won't look like the screenshots the theme's author posted (sometimes the difference is minor, sometimes the difference is substantial).

an "emerge -s engine" will show you all engines available (and incidentally what's currently installed, which you can also see with something like "epm -qa|grep engine"). so in the gtkrc file of the theme, if it says something like "engine murrine" and you discover "gtk-engines-murrine" is not installed, go ahead and emerge it.

I'm not guaranteeing it will fix this problem you're having but it's a start (imm best thing is posting a screenshot of what yours actually looks like now so we can compare for ourselves and make relevant suggestions). like I said, generally the color treatments should match regardless of a missing engine so tbh I'm not optimistic this is the problem here. if you do post a screenshot of yours, also see if you have any ~/.gtkrc* and post those too.
pulgitaflo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if a missing engine is all your problem is about - the theme mostly uses the pixmap engine, which is installed by gtk itself. Some elements use the crux-engine (which belongs to packet gtk-engines - probably installed as a Gnome dependency) and murrine, which you are probably missing (in gtk-engines-murrine). So try emerging any missing engines to see if this solves the problem.
nordic bro wrote:
I'm not guaranteeing it will fix this problem you're having but it's a start (imm best thing is posting a screenshot of what yours actually looks like now so we can compare for ourselves and make relevant suggestions). like I said, generally the color treatments should match regardless of a missing engine so tbh I'm not optimistic this is the problem here. if you do post a screenshot of yours, also see if you have any ~/.gtkrc* and post those too.

I agree that posting a screenshot sounds like a good idea to figure out what might be wrong.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try it again when I get home tonight. Because yeah I checked I have the pixmap engine. I even tried one that used the "ubuntulooks" engine. As far as installing engines go, they basically are just copied into that /lib/gtk engine folder right? You don't need to compile anything?

Basically the titlebars and buttons(close, maximize, minimize) change, but nothing else. One theme I tried changed the "task bar" but the colors of the menus never changed it didn't look right.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work. Installing the engines worked. Thanks.

My last question is, is there a way to get it it so firefox DOESN'T use the desktop theme? I tried using the theme I posted. And I like it, but a black firefox doesn't really appeal to me. Because the backgrounds to text boxes and things like that are black too.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you got it working.

if this is a dark theme, ime they can be problematic with more than just firefox. but wrt firefox itself there's a couple things you can do 1) keep the theme but add this to
<firefox dir>/chrome/userContent.css (and restart firefox):

Code:

textarea {
  font-size: 100%;
  /* color: #fff !important;*/
  color: #00078E;  /* #000cff;*/
  /* background: #f2cc9c !important; */
  font-family: verdana, sans-serif;
}

that will change text entry boxes for *some* sites (I'm told there are ways to do this on a site-by-site basis like if your favorite site doesn't respond with the above but I never got far with that)

or

Code:

html {
    color: black;
    background: white;
 }

that does something like reverse web page backgrounds or something; it worked great in galeon web browser but it seems to me firefox doesn't need this (or maybe I was just using a different dark theme with galeon, don't remember) so if you try it and nothing improves, just google "dark theme firefox" and mess around with what you find.

2) to make firefox alone use a different theme altogether then in bash or sh start it with this:

Code:

% GTK2_RC_FILES=</path/to/theme's/gtkrc> </path/to/firefox bin>

finally 3) keep the dark theme, install gtk-theme-switch and for those times when a visible text entry box is req'd, switch to a light theme temporarily (using gtk-theme-switch app); then when done switch back to your dark theme.

I wrote a little csh script to do this for me where I made it a wm menu entry I just have to click on:

Code:

#!/bin/csh -f

set dark_flag = /tmp/.gtk_theme.dark
set dark_theme = /usr/share/themes/smoked_glass

set light_flag = /tmp/.gtk_theme.light
#set light_theme = /usr/share/themes/thinice
set light_theme = /usr/share/themes/clearlooks9x

if (-e $dark_flag) then
    # dark is set so switch to light:
    gtk-theme-switch $light_theme && rm -f $dark_flag
    echo "$light_theme" > $light_flag
else
    # light is set so switch to dark:
    if (-e $light_flag) then
   gtk-theme-switch $dark_theme &&   rm -f $light_flag
   echo "$dark_theme" > $dark_flag
    else
   # default is dark if neither is set:
   gtk-theme-switch $dark_theme
   echo "$dark_theme" > $dark_flag
    endif
endif

exit

## EOF

like I mentioned, dark themes can be problematic with other desktop apps besides firefox and that's why I wrote that little script - stuff like evolution or the gimp and whatnot, using (some) dark themes many items are either indetectible or just hard to read so being able to mindlessly alternate between preset themes at the click of a button speeds things up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: