Can't login after reboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phloxd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Can't login after reboot Reply with quote

Yeah okay so I've been building this installation since yesterday, and I had X and gnome running. I did some emerges along the line. I think I might have screwed up something while trying to figure out cfg-update. Anyway, I rebooted at some point and now my passwords don't work. I even booted the install cd, chrooted, and changed my passwords back. I'm sure the passwords are right and something else is keeping me from logging in. There aren't any errors that I can see during boot. Any help would be appreciated.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you trying to login as, and at what stage (console or X)?

You may find that root login to an X session is disabled by default, so if your trying to do that, switch to a console (Ctrl + Alt + F1), login as root, refer back to the install manual which advises how to add a normal user for everday use, set up their account and password, then try logging in to X with that account.

If not, have a root around in the log-files at /var/log/ to see if you can find any messages as to why logins have failed.
Phloxd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Console. Both root and non-root.

I typed cat var/log/faillog and then on out all the text was garbled with different characters.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phloxd wrote:
Console. Both root and non-root.

I typed cat var/log/faillog and then on out all the text was garbled with different characters.

Pedantic, but how are you getting to a prompt to actually type and check 'cat /var/log/faillog' from the system that your trying to boot? Surely you've logged in to check that? Or is it from a chrooted environment from an install disk?

If your chroot'ing in, you've presumably tried as described in the wiki as you say its not worked, but did you follow the procedure exactly as described? I'd add to that description in this instance you want to delete your current user and create it again and then set the password for them.

slack
Phloxd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or is it from a chrooted environment from an install disk?

Yep.

If your chroot'ing in, you've presumably tried as described in the wiki as you say its not worked, but did you follow the procedure exactly as described? I'd add to that description in this instance you want to delete your current user and create it again and then set the password for them.
[/quote]
Yep, I've tried 3 times now the way the wiki says, and the last time I deleted, readded, and passworded my user account like you suggested. Still no go.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phloxd wrote:

Yep, I've tried 3 times now the way the wiki says, and the last time I deleted, readded, and passworded my user account like you suggested. Still no go.

Thats strange.

Have you tried removing the entry for the user from /etc/passwd ?

Can you type verbatim what you are typing to chroot and then change passwords?

Beyond that I'm stumped, sorry.

slack
Phloxd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
passwd nathan
exit
umount /mnt/gentoo/proc
umount /mnt/gentoo
reboot
Phloxd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna nuke it and start over =/
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but do you have any special characters in your passwords, or are they all alpha-numeric?

If the former then it may be the case that you have your keyboard mapped incorrectly, so when your using the special keys they're not actually what you think they are.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: